• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finally figured "it" out...

The basic thing is the difference between the x step turning your body into position for the throw and the twisting of hips/reachback. They are two seperate things that are for two different purposes. X step/aiming butt at target is to get back to your line and in position for throw. The twisting of hips/ reachback is where your getting the whip action for the hit. I now distinguish between the two and try not to start the hip turn reach back till well after the x step.

My left hip is now joining the power generating. Arm is doing less work for same or more distance and the line is straighter.

Ok, put together a quick graphic that visualizes what I'm describing using screen-shots of the video that BirdieMachine posted earlier in this thread. Tried to represent the upper and lower body with the different colored boxes, someone tell me if this makes sense (or not...)

DiscGolfAhHaMoment-JPEGFull.jpg

That was very helpful. The piece about closing the hips and keeping the shoulders open as you go into the x-step was new to me. I look forward to trying that out.

It seems like what is happening here is that as the cross-step ends and you shift over to the front foot, and hips start to open, at the same time the shoulders are twisted back, loading plyometrically, and as weight comes onto the front foot and the hips shift toward the target, the disc is whipped forward, pulled close by the chest as much as possible.

Does that sound about right?

It's a little bit complicated, isn't it?

Finally had some time to practice this a little bit on drives. So, far I'm not getting farther throws but I am getting a lot more controlled distance. I've got a number of small things I'm going to try to get that distance. Wrist snap. Making sure my nose it down. Might try some different grips. 3 fingers, etc.

At lunch today I threw my Avenger about 330 dead straight. The kicker was it was only about 4 feet off the ground the entire time. Never done that before.

I still need a lot of work before it becomes habit but it's definitely a big jump in my ability. I can really see this translated to better and longer throws on the actual course where I don't have wide open holes.

My max distance is 350-360 but that on a giant anny that turns and fades back. Basically a giant "s" curve. I'm not consistent with it at all. Sometimes I'll hit it 10 times in a row. Other times 50%. Some days I totally lose it.

Finally had some time to practice this a little bit on drives. So, far I'm not getting farther throws but I am getting a lot more controlled distance. I've got a number of small things I'm going to try to get that distance. Wrist snap. Making sure my nose it down. Might try some different grips. 3 fingers, etc.

At lunch today I threw my Avenger about 330 dead straight. The kicker was it was only about 4 feet off the ground the entire time. Never done that before.

I still need a lot of work before it becomes habit but it's definitely a big jump in my ability. I can really see this translated to better and longer throws on the actual course where I don't have wide open holes.

My max distance is 350-360 but that on a giant anny that turns and fades back. Basically a giant "s" curve. I'm not consistent with it at all. Sometimes I'll hit it 10 times in a row. Other times 50%. Some days I totally lose it.

Nice work! The field work pays huge dividends. I have been slowly tweaking things and I've moved along in inches not yards - but I'm finally able to get my distance drives out to 400' and I've been consistently out to 350 during rounds. I had the best front 9 of my short dg life last week. I went 5 birds in the first 7 holes, all of which were 300+. I hit 2 more shorter birds. Felt like I had a guidance system on my discs, now I just have to figure out how to do that more than once!

I think the hardest part of that s-curve is that you're throwing anhyzer, which has many little ways to sap power. It's much easier to stay over the disc, pulling low and driving the hips when your throwing flat or a hyzer.

Hard to say w/out playing w/ you - but it sounds like you might like the DD Renegade. It's been a fantastic flat release driver that I can count on.

I think the hardest part of that s-curve is that you're throwing anhyzer, which has many little ways to sap power. It's much easier to stay over the disc, pulling low and driving the hips when your throwing flat or a hyzer.

Hard to say w/out playing w/ you

Come on down to NC and we'll play! You're right about that anhyzer. I can get monster snap with my wrist like that that I have not mastered when throwing straight or hyzer.

I've heard often that it's easier to throw far flat or hyzer. My problem with that is I keep throwing too high and stalling out. Also, everyone says stay over the disc but I do better or also hear that keep your spine rigid and straight works better. I'm working now on pulling lower too.

Gravity is the reason it is easier to get snap on an anhyzer. On a hyzer, you are fighting gravity at the hit so it is harder to feel the tendon bounce.

When throwing hyzer, your run up should be a diagonal line from left to right along the teepad. This will set the nose angle down relative to the flight path. Opposite is true for an anhyzer.

I read this post and it kind of hit home like most other people have stated. Last year I was throwing with minimal effort for about 2-3 weeks and it was awesome and then lost it. Couldnt figure it out until I read this thread. Went out and played a full round trying to implement this and my throws were all lasers with little effort. Throwing just as far without even trying. I bet there will be 0 soreness tomorrow which is nice.

Thanks to all for helping the community out. That's why I love this game!!

Come on down to NC and we'll play! You're right about that anhyzer. I can get monster snap with my wrist like that that I have not mastered when throwing straight or hyzer.

I've heard often that it's easier to throw far flat or hyzer. My problem with that is I keep throwing too high and stalling out. Also, everyone says stay over the disc but I do better or also hear that keep your spine rigid and straight works better. I'm working now on pulling lower too.

Now that's an offer you better be careful making! Long drive from Denver, but NC is gorgeous.

We had a tags match tonight at my home course. Pretty good tail wind at my back, pulled out my new DD Witness and hit 450' with a touch of down hill.

One of the guys on my card knows me enough to know I'm pretty knew to disc golf, so it felt pretty good when he walked up to my lie and goes, "THAT WAS YOUR DRIVE?!"

Pretty legit 8-10 mph tail wind, so I don't get the credit, but it still felt good.

Of course I missed a 5' putt because I was chatting with buddy and stopped paying attention...:wall:

What's the deal with the idea of keeping your shoulders low, BTW? How does this contribute to the throw? How does having shoulders raised mess up the throw?

Ok, update.

I changed my footwork a little bit. I eliminated my first step. So, now I take my first step with my right foot planting it perpendicular to the target. Go right into my x-step, plant, turn, heel down, go.

In the past I've had a big problem with short tee pads. Plus, I thought getting rid of any extra movements would help. Plus, I'm a big fan of Mike C, who bombs 500 foot plus like it's nothing, and that's how I've seen him throw so I thought I'd try it.

Between all this stuff I've been throwing 330 like clockwork. And I'm just threw back to back shots out to 355 and 360. For some reason on my really long throws I'll yank them way right. Probably about 50-60 feet to the right of my target.

The thing I'm trying to correct now is the height and nose down. All those throws are probably no more than 10-12 feet off the ground, if that. But every time I try to throw higher I end up nose up and stalling out.

This thread has been so awesome I thought I'd ask here. Any tips?

When I do that, it is because my shoulder is lined up way right, or I am opening my shoulders too soon. This thread has given me the biggest 'ah ha' moment since I started trying to redo my form last summer. I have haunted thee threads on dgr and here and thinvs helped, but this thread has really helped it all click.

The thing I'm trying to correct now is the height and nose down. All those throws are probably no more than 10-12 feet off the ground, if that. But every time I try to throw higher I end up nose up and stalling out.

This thread has been so awesome I thought I'd ask here. Any tips?

I am guessing that you are tilting your arm angle up but not your shoulders and hips. You have to keep everything on the same plane. There is a good thread on DGR about that, I will see if I can find it.

Unofficially Ricky's round is 1101 right now

edit: oops, wrong thread

Last edited:
I just got a big setback in my game.

I thought i threw 400 feet. 375 consistantly. my buddy owns one of those rollers that measures in feet to extreme accuracy. i can throw 350 feet consistantly. :mad: these were all on flat ground.

so my problem is i get to a teepad that says 400 feet and i bomb it, and park or over thow it. but in reality its not 400 feet because either its not measured correctly.

I just got a big setback in my game.

I thought i threw 400 feet. 375 consistantly. my buddy owns one of those rollers that measures in feet to extreme accuracy. i can throw 350 feet consistantly. :mad: these were all on flat ground.

so my problem is i get to a teepad that says 400 feet and i bomb it, and park or over thow it. but in reality its not 400 feet because either its not measured correctly.

Well, keep in mind that not all of those rollers are "extremely accurate", either.

For my field work I used a 50' tape measure and staked out every 50' up to 200', every 20' from 200-300' and every 10' from 300-430'. I used the little plastic garden markers and wrote the distance on both sides with a sharpie.

This way I know with absolute certainty the distances I'm throwing... I got fed up with how inaccurate and inconsistent the Udisc+ GPS readings on my Nexus 7 were.

I found that one long stride equals 3 feet for me. So I just count my steps and multiply by three. I do have long legs though.