• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finally got a tripod - please help me fix my backhand

Working on what SW22 covers at the very beginning here. Just going to focus on this move until I get it down. I think I'm doing the "collapsing lawn chair" he describes.

https://youtu.be/BuvujcEMLxs

Setup like you would to stand naturally for long time, and then lift rear foot up and place it straight back behind butt to right tee side up on tippy toes, so your femurs/knees should be still be square and rear femur/knee hanging straight down from hip. Now you are free to swivel on one leg and rear tippy toes rolling back and forth like bike kickstand. Vertical femur, horizontal shin, vertical foot.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 8.32.41 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 8.32.41 PM.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 185
Found a video from you called hips, and I've been working on this move and man it feels way different than how I've been aligning myself.

It´s not to be taken too literal, if I recall correctly there is no good weight shift in that video.

It´s not to be taken too literal, if I recall correctly there is no good weight shift in that video.

Oh for sure, just using it to get a feel of aligning myself bette. If you do that clapping drill, then swing a medicine ball using the same motion, it produces a nice smooth weigh shift

Feel like I'm still not aligned properly. Should be finishing more forward facing. Will try again tomorrow

Need to let your rear heel come down, so you can turn/swing/extend shoulder further back as the hammer pulls like tug of war away from target. Your wrist looks weak/limp instead of leveraged/locked. Knuckles should be turned/turning over to the sky at top of backswing so the head is sideways on plane along with the thumb on the back of the handle, not the top or wrapped around the handle.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 5.28.56 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 5.28.56 PM copy.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 76
Been working on the one leg drill for quite a while now. I think I finally figured out that my set up wasn't athletically tilted enough - just had to compare my starting stance to the OLD video and it was obvious I wasn't setting up right at all.

Felt some nice effortless distance this morning, especially with that windmill swing. Idk what it is about that windmill motion but the disc just seems to launch without any effort.

Thoughts on these swings?

https://youtu.be/SiwRe82Nezg

Not really moving quite correctly into the plant. You are kind of rotating into it and shifting in front instead of behind. So you're not really getting your weight into the plant until the disc is already mid chest. You're too much over the heels and each heel should be lifting up if you shift back and forth, you've got both heels down for most of it and then when your rear heel leaves its spinning out.

Not really moving quite correctly into the plant. You are kind of rotating into it and shifting in front instead of behind. So you're not really getting your weight into the plant until the disc is already mid chest. You're too much over the heels and each heel should be lifting up if you shift back and forth, you've got both heels down for most of it and then when your rear heel leaves its spinning out.

Appreciate the feedback!

I'm trying to copy the one leg drill, which I was definitely doing wrong before. Actually read through the SlowPlastic form thread and saw that the weight is never supposed to leave that front leg. That said I still get my COG too far back I think - I can see my rear heel bending out...might be what causes the spin out. Also need to figure out how to ride that momentum wave all super smooth like SW does. Baby steps lol

b993d2521a6e3bf5d3311571fe51c2af.gif

Yeah SW22 is slightly moving weight into the rear foot, but not much in that gif. It's like a baby weight shift where you don't have to lift your front foot at all. From the side you would see your front hip moving back quite a bit more than him, to the point where you would need to de-weight the front foot more. Or you could keep everything a little more forward like SW22 is doing in the gif.

More work the past couple days. I've been studying Brinsters upshot, trying to get a feel for that diagonal shift/downshift and pumping the swing with a more vertical brace. Wasn't trying to throw far but was getting putters out to 200 without really trying. Feels way different like the hit is way out in front of me.
Need to keep working on feeling this momentum but am I on the right track here?

https://youtu.be/VMR2561FdUs

Yeah I think that looks better in terms of the weight shifting timing and posture. But it's too diagonal of a shift and not enough towards the target. But actually, this is something I still don't really understand really so I'd be interested to hear what SW22 says about it. How I understand things, it look like you aren't really using your butt to brace so you end up falling over left too much. Like watch your butt go from the right side of the teepad to the left throughout the throw. When you watch SW22 in that gif, his hips are staying more in place laterally. I think this is the concept of the butt wipe drill.

Watch Brinster in the very beginning of this video

Also similar to what Brodie Smith was working on in his golf swing here, look around minute 7:30 talking about the analogy of the wall and the electric fence:

Last edited:
Yep you are totally right. I think in turbo encabulator he talks about elbowing your hips forward which should produce a more lateral shift. I definitely wasn't doing that.

I can see on this markup here, Brinster sets up pretty diagonal but he's definitely making more of a lateral move than I am.
0a3822824267f4f542768dc406e67aa3.jpg

Yeah I think that's the confusion. A diagonal stance with a targetward shift is how I think of it now. The diagonal stance gives your hips unrestricted space to turn back, or at least that's how it feels for me when I'm doing it better.