• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

finding waterhole disc

cheese dog

Birdie Member
my friend and I went disc diving today at a local course. the hole is protected by a water hazard. we found around 50 disc, some with number some without. I am very good about returning disc with a number but then again we did spend two hours in nasty water finding abandoned disc. what would you guys do in my position? when i lose a disc in water and don't go in i don't expect anyone to call me.

With this specific scenario and what I would do... (although I doubt I would ever dive..)

Keep a few and give some to buddies of ones your actually like. Call numbers of only people you know. Black out numbers and donate the rest (likely to be most of them). Not worth the hassle and time with calling.

Silly question - is there a local message board you can post up the names to and drop off at leagues or something? This way you could get a bunch back to the local easily without the hassle of tracking down 30 people.

no there Is no message board, no local shops. out of the 50 there were only 3-4 I would like to have in my bag. all innova and discraft. we are going to donate the rest to kids. also, no diving stuff was used just neck high water, so If I can get 50 why didn't the owner get theirs out of the water.

If I throw a disc in some nasty ass water and then walk away without trying to get it back, then at that point it is no longer my disc. If someone else feels like jumping in some water that I chose not to, then in my opinion, it's theirs. They can have it. However, many people feel quite the opposite. Trust me, this has been discussed before. And if this thread gets going, those with opposing viewpoints will certainly make their opinions heard. But I say do what you want with them.

Put them all in a stack. Douse with gasoline. Ignite. Dance around fire naked.

my friend and I went disc diving today at a local course. the hole is protected by a water hazard. we found around 50 disc, some with number some without. I am very good about returning disc with a number but then again we did spend two hours in nasty water finding abandoned disc. what would you guys do in my position? when i lose a disc in water and don't go in i don't expect anyone to call me.

So you spent two hours in nasty water to find other people's plastic, and you think that gives you the right to keep them? Call the numbers. The friends you could make from making the effort are worth far more than the plastic you would keep.

Also, threads like this have been beat to death (and locked) in the past, and it is stealing to not make an effort to return them. Just because they were found in a less than pleasant place doesn't make them any different than ones you find in the fairway (that you supposedly call to return).

If I throw a disc in some nasty ass water and then walk away without trying to get it back, then at that point it is no longer my disc. If someone else feels like jumping in some water that I chose not to, then in my opinion, it's theirs. They can have it. However, many people feel quite the opposite. Trust me, this has been discussed before. And if this thread gets going, those with opposing viewpoints will certainly make their opinions heard. But I say do what you want with them.
Agree 100%

And if you have to throw on someone you must yell "MY LIFE" first, then its ok.

To me, if you have to ask this question, then your conscience already knows the answer to it. And if this sort of thing doesn't really bother your conscience, well, you're just looking for an online argument on here by asking.

So to all future people who have to start this topic (although I know damn well you're never going to read this), please stop using this forum to get encouragement from others to not do the right thing. Either do the right thing and make some new friends or don't and make a few bucks.

you are right, by asking the question I already know the right answer. I know this question has been ask a lot, I wanted to explain my exact situation on the matter. I do not want to start an argument on this forum, I value peoples opinion on this forum a lot. I have always gone out of my way to return disc to the owner. I go out of my way on the course to pick up trash, help people retrieve disc. I was just trying to get a feel for peoples opinion on topics like this cause I know it has happened.

Took some folks out today and one found a disc in some nasty water looking for another. Had name and number on it and I was proud the young man called to tell the guy he had the disc. The guy told him he didn't know how it got there and told him to keep it.

Call em. You get what you give, and you'll probably make a few friends by returning the few you can. Can't hurt to just be nice to people.

When I go disc diving, we will find more than enough no-names to make it worth our while ( even if we can't even find our own discs we went after in the first place :wall: ), so when we get a legible contact number we give em a call. Half the time they just tell you to keep it anyway :thmbup:

Last edited:

Latest posts