• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Firebird V. Predator....

This interests me as well as I've been looking to pick up one of them to try out as an overstalbe forehand driver.

Both.

Predator is faster and straighter.

Firebird is slower, but with more fade.

Depending on the courses you play, and how windy it is around you. I'd keep both in your bag. If you can only fit one in your bag, I'd stick with the Predator as its a little more versatile.

I haven't thrown either a whole heck of a lot, but my findings mimic what I've heard from many players. The Pred is longer and not quite as overstable, but can handle just as much wind as the Firebird. It might need a bit more hyzer, but that's pretty easy to accomplish. The Pred can do everything the Firebird can, but the Firebird can't do everything the Pred can becasue it's not as long.

the predator stays straight longer than a firebird, with the same overstable finish. All predators are great discs, and you have to find a good firebird, 11x, glow, new run flats. If a firebird is domey it is crap. I love predators, I like good firebirds. If you want a good headwind driver go predator, if you want a quick fade driver scourer the internet for a good firebird.

I have tried a domed champion firebird, a flat star firebird, and an esp predator. I preferred the flat firebird more based on reliability. I use it most as a forehand disc, but I also thought the predator was a great disc as well. Either way you cannot go wrong. I may even say Predator since it is easier to find duplicate discs that are the same (as flat firebirds are still more difficult to find).

Both.

Depending on the courses you play, and how windy it is around you. I'd keep both in your bag. If you can only fit one in your bag, I'd stick with the Predator as its a little more versatile.

Exactly^^^

I'd throw either one...they're both great overstable drivers. I think the Firebird feels better in the hand, personally. The Preds I've thrown were indeed a little longer and later to fade - similar to the FL flight but a tad longer. I'll disagree that all but "the right" Firebirds are crap...they're all pretty damn good. Depending on what you're looking for, some are "better" than others, but it will depend on your power level, wind conditions, etc. I like good flat Firebirds but I bag a 12x moderate domed champ from a couple years ago that's still a money disc. Doesn't cut the wind quite as well as the flat ones but it's very overstable and fights wind just fine.

While you're at it, you should really consider the XXX.

I haven't thrown either a whole heck of a lot, but my findings mimic what I've heard from many players. The Pred is longer and not quite as overstable, but can handle just as much wind as the Firebird. It might need a bit more hyzer, but that's pretty easy to accomplish. The Pred can do everything the Firebird can, but the Firebird can't do everything the Pred can becasue it's not as long.

^^Boom.
I carry both. Mainly because I found a nicely worn star Firebird used at my PIAS. The bird floats more since its beat, but its so predictable at 300' that I can't leave it out. My pink pred is a monster distance hook as well as some gorgeous s-curves.

Both dominate the headwind as everyone else has said.

Both.

I throw a Firebird exclusively as a forehand disc (occasionally subbing in a heavier Monster when appropriate). You say that the Pred is faster. How fast is it? I know Discraft doesn't use the rating system that Innova does, but an answer in that vein would be helpful.

Z Predators=awesome
flat firebird=awesome

both are great, hard fading wind fighting control drivers.

However it needs to be said that the sp (champion plastic) tsunami from dga is great for those things as well. whether I throw back hand or forehand, this disc I believe is a little faster than both the firebird and the pred, while it still has that great hard fade at the end. a strong headwind wont turn them over either.

I throw a Firebird exclusively as a forehand disc (occasionally subbing in a heavier Monster when appropriate). You say that the Pred is faster. How fast is it? I know Discraft doesn't use the rating system that Innova does, but an answer in that vein would be helpful.

It's fast, but it's still a fairway driver. Innova ratings system only paints part of a picture. I would suggest looking at Joe's Universal Flight Chart over Innova's Flight Rating System, while still not perfect, I think it captures a better sense of how discs fly.

I'd fetch you a link, but I'm replying at work :(.

However it needs to be said that the sp (champion plastic) tsunami from dga is great for those things as well. whether I throw back hand or forehand, this disc I believe is a little faster than both the firebird and the pred, while it still has that great hard fade at the end. a strong headwind wont turn them over either.

Tell me more. I have been looking for a firebird locally with no luck. Predaters are nowhere to be found either but i can get a tsunami.

Ive been using a sp tsunami.since they came out and i couldnt be more pleased :)

edit: pro line (esp/star) tsunamis are much less stable than the sp's.

It's fast, but it's still a fairway driver. Innova ratings system only paints part of a picture. I would suggest looking at Joe's Universal Flight Chart over Innova's Flight Rating System, while still not perfect, I think it captures a better sense of how discs fly.

I'd fetch you a link, but I'm replying at work :(.

I was just wondering about how wide the lip was. I was under the impression that that is what Innova considers "fast", so that's really the only way I've used the term. I'm also replying at work. It's good to be the boss. Maybe I should throw one (a Boss that is).

Firebird wants to fade immediately out of your hand, predator wants to go straight then fade hard. The predator is longer and a bit more versatile especially in different stages of wear, the firebird I find to be a bit more predictable in really heavy winds and has less changes in flight as it beats up.

^ Thought the exact same thing the minute I read the title of this thread.

Just a few days ago I was throwing in 35mph constant winds with gusts at 45mph+, and I stopped for a while to field practice straight into that headwind. I was carrying my Predators, but also on that day I found a brand new Star Firebird, and I gave it a couple of test throws before I returned it to its owner.

My domier, somewhat worn Z Predator was a hyzerflipper in that wind. Released hyzer, it flipped over, tracked right, but also flexed out at the end and faded back a bit pretty reliably. My new, very flat Z Predator was pretty much unfazed. Released flat, it tracked right just a tiny bit, and still faded hard at the end. Released hyzer, it stayed hyzer all the way.

The Star Firebird, I know is not the most overstable of the Firebirds. It flipped some in that wind, not quite as much as my worn Pred, but definitely much more than my new flat Pred. Frankly, I think if I'd had one of the new flat champ Firebirds, it would have fared just as well as my flat Pred.

In other words, in huge headwinds some Predators (generally domey ones, and/or worn ones) will flip some. The same goes for some Firebirds. Generally both flat Firebirds and flat Preds can take pretty much any wind without any trouble.

On less windy situations I can echo some of the previous posters' comments. Predators like to go straight and then fade hard. In moderate winds they still go straight first and still fade hard. They beat into quite versatile yet still overstable discs. Domier ones can be more versatile from the start, flat ones start very overstable. Firebirds tend to want to start fading very early, without really flying straight first. I have less experience with Firebirds, so can't go into much depth with them.

One big difference other than the flight difference is the feel. Predators have a rather sharp rim, both the edge and the bottom of the wing. Some people don't like that sharpness for forehand and overhand grips. Firebirds are much blunter and more comfortable for FH and OH. However I still throw my Preds both FH and OH when necessary with pretty good results, but they're not my main throwing styles.

Latest posts