• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Disc(s) ever bought

First golf discs were from a Wham-o starter set. Turnover, Midrange, & Putter. about 5 years ago Angie and I started out tossing a cheesy promotional disc for fun. I said I would buy us a real frisbee because not only does it fly better but you can actually throw it far and do some tricks with it. As an old hippy I remembered those carefree days 40+ years ago throwing with my friends on just about every patch grass there was. Someone always had a frisbee.

So we went to Beaver Island State Park for a family reunion/picnic. Our pavilion overlooked the river but also was surrounded by the first three holes with the teebox for number 3 just about 100 feet from where we were picnicking. We'd seen the baskets at this park and some others before but we were clueless as to their function. "Feeding the deer in the winter," I pondered. We were tossing our lid around and noticed folks around us play with discs too, but they weren't throwing them to each other they were throwing at the baskets. "Ding!" The light bulb went off and I realized they were playing golf. I already played ball golf, but here was the best of both worlds. "Ang, do you want to give that a try?" "Sure."

The next week, maybe even the next day while shopping at Walmart there was a display of sale items. There were just 3 sets of Wham-o Frisbee Golf discs on sale for $17.99. I bought all 3. Our son never really got enamored with the sport. The next couple weeks we were out playing with regularity and spending time searching the webs for info. Armed with bare bones knowledge a month or so later I bought a dozen other discs from Lightning, Innova & Discraft. What a difference those discs made.

We still have all 9 beat to snot Wham-os around, they're collecting dust and spider webs in our garage. And we still use some of those original "real" disc golf discs.

I started out with a yellow and orange champ Banshee and a lime green sonic putter. I had seen some guys at work carrying discs at the end of the day and asked about them. They told me to go to the sport place around the corner, grab a driver and a putter, and meet them at the course 5 minutes from the office. I grabbed the Banshee because I liked the two color scheme and the sonic because it felt most like a traditional frisbee disc. I still use the same Banshee for pretty much every shot within 350ft. (I use backhand and forehand equally) but the sonic shattered on me last winter when I line drove it into a tree. Why I was driving with a sonic still eludes me...

Played first few years with Whammo 165gm lid. 1st golf disc was a used Cobra from a friend(still a distance driver) and promptly threw it into a tree and cracked it from rim to center. Was a newly married student and didn't have money(or place, had yet to meet "Guy on the Course") for new disc so melted it together with a soldering gun, Sharpied stitches on the wound, and threw 'Frankendisc' for the rest of the summer. :) Still has a place of honor on my wall.

When I got back into it after a good decade off a couple of years ago bought my 1st premium disc, a 159gm Champ Monarch that I have really loved(until I lost it in the Spokane River).

Blue X MRV
Blue DX Beast
Blue Champ X-Out Rhyno

I bought all of these 3 new from PIAS before I ever played. I don't have any of them anymore and I now only use putters that are blue and that was due to the fact that they were so cheap that I bought 10.

I still have the first disc I ever bought...

FirstPutter.jpg

'86(?) XD putter/upshot disc. Recently retired & hanging on my wall.

DX Gator
proceeded to play my first round with it at the Canmore Nordic Centre (mistake)
I actually managed to have a throw go backwards on me (ok to be fair I was trying to fling off some mud from an errant throw into some water...and it slipped out of my hand and went backwards)
I have since learned to throw forwards :D
but I don't use Gators anymore

I cant believe all the responses, doesn seem like too many of you still have your first plastic however

First discs I received were a DX Cheetah, Saturn Midrange (lovely Instep disc) and a Avenger ESP 150 Class. The Cheetah is in a pond by my house, and the Avenger... I don't know, my brother lost that one. The Saturn I sold to a shop for $1, and I was happy with that.

The first discs I bought were a DX Archangel (big mistake) and a bright orange Elite X XS with a rainbow logo. The XS is at the bottom of the same pond near my house. The DX Archangel is sort of retired. I don't throw it a lot. It's almost too understable for me now, but I plan to use it as a roller.

I replaced both of the lost discs, though. I paid $5 for a Champion XG KC Pro 11x Cheetah, and I got an Sparkle Elite X XS for $5 as well.

Last edited:
It seems like dx plastic was the major mover for peoples first discs.

Not knowing anything when i bought my first discs, i ended up with star plastic wraith, and a dx rhyno (dx takes it)

first discs for me were a dx valk and a champ teeb. still throw the champ teeb :D

but i was given a dga reef, before those two came in the mail, that i threw for a while, and now my girlfriend putts.

Dx beast was the first one. Then the next day I bought a champion monarch star shark and Dx aviar.

Ive never even thought of trading or giving away my 1st two discs

2.5 years ago I had never heard of disc golf, and had seen the baskets but never knew their purpose.

Me and my friend were hanging out one day and he mentions the game to me. Tells me I should try it out. I told him it sounded dumb but I'm always down to try new things.

So a few days later we stop by Quonset Hut and I pick up a Star Leopard. That was my first disc, followed shortly by a Star Aviar.

I was horrible at first (Who isn't?) but as I learned how to throw the Leopard remained my go to driver for months. It was my favorite disc for a long time. The Aviar on the other hand I never liked, and when it rolled into the water one day I just left it there.

Im from Charleston SC and on a visit to see my Wifes Father we went to Canton. I played a course that was 20 something holes and few times and it was great. But, what made me post this was that I went to one of those Quonset huts in Canton. I got my first Nuke SS there....Its my favorite flick disc for distance. Anyway...what a awesome little town. That course was fun and long! Can't wait to get back up north again. The Canton area was way better than I expected.