• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] First run ascent

Vibrams do break in, they just dont wear out!!!! Get grippier with use!!!!!!!

My Vibram ridges (2 in the bag) have gotten grippier with use. It takes a handful of rounds, but then they are the grippiest discs out there. Even in rain. One of my ridgees is about a year old and is marinating in the sweet spot, indefinately. (3-4 rounds a week 20+ holes a round, all year)

Vibram putters DO break in, they just DON'T wear out. Solid product!!!! Thank You Steve Dodge and Vibram--(can I copyright that?) ;]

No fan-boy here(or whatever the f*ck you say), i believe most of the hot discs now are too much. I just know quality. Vibram is moving forward with the game(GAME!), and that is refreshing. They are moving away from the herd, and finding a new niche, innovation. I applaud MVP for this as well-ION is also a solid product.

If you cant throw it, or havent given it a real chance, or just dont like it, man up and move on!!

Last edited:
So I gave my somewhat slick X-Link Ridge a little washing today (At Steve's suggestion) and it did make it grippier.

So, what is it that we are washing away? Is it a release agent used in the mold, or something else?

So I gave my somewhat slick X-Link Ridge a little washing today (At Steve's suggestion) and it did make it grippier.

So, what is it that we are washing away? Is it a release agent used in the mold, or something else?

I had a slick ridge, really slick (to the point of almost giving it away), but i took it out for several rounds, The slick is gone and now it is sticky. I played in rain and sun, and utilized the hell out of it. all could be a factor

I had a slick ridge, really slick (to the point of almost giving it away), but i took it out for several rounds, The slick is gone and now it is sticky. I played in rain and sun, and utilized the hell out of it. all could be a factor

Nah, I'd been using this Ridge as my primary putter from July until I got my soft ridge a couple weeks ago. Four months of bouncing it off of rocks and trees didn't seem to change it (grip or flight wise) at all. I even remember dumping my bag out in the bath tub and giving all my discs a rinse at one point this summer. It wasn't until I washed it with soap that it developed the grippy feel that my new Ascent has.

Was just wondering what the mechanics of that are? What is the soap doing or washing away?

Nah, I'd been using this Ridge as my primary putter from July until I got my soft ridge a couple weeks ago. Four months of bouncing it off of rocks and trees didn't seem to change it (grip or flight wise) at all. I even remember dumping my bag out in the bath tub and giving all my discs a rinse at one point this summer. It wasn't until I washed it with soap that it developed the grippy feel that my new Ascent has.

Was just wondering what the mechanics of that are? What is the soap doing or washing away?

I just purchased a summit and love it. I did notice in the shop though that a lot of the discs had different amounts of grip right off the shelf. I think this is due to the release agent they are using. Kind of like the waxy film that is on brand new tires. Some have more and some have less, really depends on who was operating the molding machine that day.

I've also thrown the proto Ascents. I found them to have less glide than any of the discs they are being compared to. The amount of effort put into the disc vs. the flight that results is a very poor ratio imo. Especially considering the Ascent has a -HSS, so it's not going to be particularly good in the wind like it's putter counterparts...If a disc is going to lack glide, it may as well be true stable so that it is good in the wind. My assessment of the Ascent is that it is a shorter Stalker with less glide...and the Stalker doesn't have much glide as it is. Most here know that I'm a new disc fanatic. Any company that puts out anything decent pretty much gets a stay in my bag for a time. Anything truly new or fun to throw gets some accolades from me and some thorough testing.

Having thrown all three models of Vibram putters, I have to agree. They fly a lot like Rhynos - that is, not very far.

My concern with Vibram, and what their future holds in disc golf, is that their putter line is shaped a lot like Gateway's. But whereas the Wizard is probably the longest driving putter I've ever thrown, the Vibrams just fall out of the sky when they lose the first hint of speed. And if it's not the shape of the disc, it has to be the material. That rubber may just not fly like some of the plastics out there.

My instincts are that Vibram will never really make a run at the disc golf market until they use some different materials. That rubber is the most durable stuff I've ever thrown, but stainless steel is durable too...it just doesn't fly very well.

I havent tried this on the vibrams but for all other discs in my bag I keep a little spray bottle (from a travel kit) filled with Windex in my bag. Sometimes when my discs feel slick I will spray them down with windex and then wipe them off. I know it sounds weird but it really works. Makes them really grippy.

Latest posts