• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Stencil Work

Slothlife

There was some bleeding through the contact paper (found some cheap stuff at the 99 cent store) , but it came out ok for the first go. I used a swiveling exacto knife, which I think made it harder for me to stay in the lines. I think I'll try a scalpel or og exacto next time

https://goo.gl/photos/FC98xaeU9j7GJYrg8

FC98xaeU9j7GJYrg8

Sorry, it's been a while since I've had to upload to Photobucket and share on a forum

contivertible63

Slothy,
1 - what are you using for a mask material Switch to oracal if it is not.
2 - handling of transfer to disc might have been rough? Transfer paper or peal and stick?
3 - how was dye applied? (I personally liked a 'dye mixed into shaving cream heavily' for small stencils for ease and avoiding over soaking)

... amount of detail in the stencil looks appropriate for what will turn out and stay pretty sharp on that particular disc.

Last edited:
Slothy,
1 - what are you using for a mask material Switch to oracal if it is not.
2 - handling of transfer to disc might have been rough? Transfer paper or peal and stick?
3 - how was dye applied? (I personally liked a 'dye mixed into shaving cream heavily' for small stencils for ease and avoiding over soaking)

... amount of detail in the stencil looks appropriate for what will turn out and stay pretty sharp on that particular disc.

I was just using stuff/contact paper, peel n stick I found at the 99 cent store, but I'll definitely try oracal next time. I brushed it on and left for about an hour and re applied. I did that about 3 times. I've tried shaving before, and I like the effect, but my experiences with it seemed to have verying hues and I wanted a more consistent color for this stencil.

Thanks for the tips mark. The 2nd and 3rd stencil tries turned out much better. I masked over areas I over cut, and brushed on dyed shaving cream instead of brushing on the dye directly. I think the shaving cream really helped prevent bleeding.

https://goo.gl/photos/vGu1wvzAfruvaMGi7

Attachments

• IMG_20170828_003801.jpg
    IMG_20170828_003801.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 46

Latest posts