• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First time joining a tourney

amunoz

Hi Everyone - I've been playing disc golf for 7 years now, only starting to really play seriously this year. I'm a very competitive person and want to start doing tournaments. The process seems unclear to me in regards to joining a tournament for the first time. I'd like to get an idea of the steps I need to take to join a tournament in preparation for 2015.

I understand that I need to join the PDGA. Then what?

I have a general idea of my skill level based on the PDGA player classifications - I'd say somewhere between recreational and intermediate. Other than that, it's a little daunting to me about where to start.

Any help is great! :D

Hi Everyone - I've been playing disc golf for 7 years now, only starting to really play seriously this year. I'm a very competitive person and want to start doing tournaments. The process seems unclear to me in regards to joining a tournament for the first time. I'd like to get an idea of the steps I need to take to join a tournament in preparation for 2015.

I understand that I need to join the PDGA. Then what?

I have a general idea of my skill level based on the PDGA player classifications - I'd say somewhere between recreational and intermediate. Other than that, it's a little daunting to me about where to start.

Any help is great! :D

You don't *need* to join the PDGA to play a tournament. There are a lot of non-PDGA sanctioned tournaments out there that require no membership whatsoever. Also, non-members can play some PDGA events without being a member (it just costs an extra $10). But if you plan to play a bunch of PDGA tournaments, the membership is well worth it (I think it's well worth it anyway, though).

As for joining a tournament, it's really easy. Pick a tournament, contact the TD, and find out what you need to do to get signed up. Most times, it's as simple as reading the flyer or website for the tournament which tells you exactly where or how to sign up. If it's a smaller event, you could even just show up the morning of the tournament and sign up then.

Exactly what he said, and I'd add that you should sign up for Rec for your first, even if you wind up kicking butt and getting called a bagger. First timer nerves, getting comfortable with the rules (might even read the pdga competition manual), and everything else might knock you off your very best, but go have fun!

Personal experience: I started playing disc golf in September, 2011, went ahead and joined the folks at the 2012 version of our New Years' Day event, played the Ice Bowl fundraisers, and was talked into signing up for BG Ams that year, so my first pdga sanctioned event had over 650 players! It's all been a blast! :clap:

The PDGA membership is usually not necessary but is a good idea if you plan to play 5 tournaments or more. And I think you still get a free disc for a new membership, so really 4 tourneys or more for a first-time member. You will also get a rulebook, which can come in handy, although you can always just buy one or even download it, I think.

Being competitive, you will also probably enjoy the perk of seeing your round ratings and getting a player rating.

Signing up usually just involves contacting the TD by phone or email, and unfortunatley sometimes the facebooks. Sometimes there will even be a way to sign up online.

Good luck with playing tournaments, I used to play a lot and it was a blast. Plus if you place it gives you a chance to get some new plastic or other swag.

when I play tourneys I am a lot quieter and make sure to play by the rules. don't foot fault, don't putt out of turn, don't talk when another player has a disc in hand. you will get a feel for your card after a couple holes, hopefully you get on a good card. overall the main thing is to have fun, which I am sure you will. my first tourney I got a little money, that made it a little more fun. good luck

You're getting a lot of good advice here, but don't let it overwhelm you. Just go out to have fun.

Sign up for the lowest possible division (someone said Rec, but take Novice if it's offered). Either way, just play for par and take birdies as they come, don't try to force anything outside of your wheelhouse. If you're stuck deep in the sh1t, don't be a hero. Just find the easiest route back to the fairway.

And have fun :D

Also, be ready for a much slower pace of play than the typical casual round pace.

There are a lot of threads about playing in your first tournament. I suggest doing a search and reading them. You'll find a lot of really good tips for the actual play.

As for registration and pre-tournament procedures, one thing to be aware of is that, even if you pre-register and are listed as "in" the tournament, you still have to check in during a certain time period on the morning of the event. I've seen a few first-timers assume that, because they were pre-registered, that didn't apply to them.

Just finished my first tourney this weekend, awesome time

Based on a few of my first-time mistakes... I figured I'd chime in and help save you the hassle of a few things. If you are confident in your game, go with anything above Rec. That's really reserved for the folks with less than a year of exp under their belt. There were a TON of advanced players sandbagging the rec division, and no one was happy with it, even the baggers.

Be cautious about all your actions. I foot faulted and lost my only bird of the day, and just barely did it at that. You have to be at your most aware, others are, and theyre watching what youre doing too, very closely (some). It was a wet miserable day for us, and during a quick motion of my practice throw, the disc slipped out.... another stroke! So be very cautious

Just assume that EVERYTHING that doesn't happen when you normally play WILL happen on tourney day. Murphys law at its finest.

Just finished my first tourney this weekend, awesome time

Based on a few of my first-time mistakes... I figured I'd chime in and help save you the hassle of a few things. If you are confident in your game, go with anything above Rec. That's really reserved for the folks with less than a year of exp under their belt. There were a TON of advanced players sandbagging the rec division, and no one was happy with it, even the baggers.

To the bolded...not true. The division is supposed to be for players of any experience who are rated below between 850 and 900. If there are players playing in that division that "should be" playing Advanced, either the Advanced field is weak or the players are unrated non-members and the TD isn't doing his job to ensure they play where their skill dictates (assuming of course that all of those "baggers" weren't first time tournament players themselves).

If Rec is the lowest division offered and there are enough players truly below the Rec level (rated below 850), then the TD should be offering MA4 to accommodate those players (and spare them from the "baggers").

Of course, if this was a non-sanctioned tournament, all bets are off.

Yet more accusations of rampant sandbagging, but no links to the evidence. Hmm.

Seeing newcomers getting killed by more experienced players in the bottom division isn't all that uncommon. Its the newcomer's noob mistakes that make the difference. That doesn't make the more experienced players sandbaggers. Often in time, if the newcomers stick with it, the tables get turned.

Give a first-timer a break. He could be hearing all the "bagger" talk and assuming it's correct. A few times around the track, and a rating, might help his perspective.

I played for a lot of years before getting into tournament play. Here's what I think after a year.
1. Know the rules. This will alleviate a lot of stress.
2. Be competative, but make having fun the goal, not winning.
3. Get a stool, cart.....the pace can be very slow.
4. Read up on here about prep. What to bring, what to eat, how to warm up....
5. If age protected divisions are applicable, try that after a bout in rec.
Set a realistic goal, either for the tournament or long range or both. Mine was to get to Am Worlds. It seemed like getting my butt kick around, was just hurdles to overcome on my path to the goal.

To the bolded...not true. The division is supposed to be for players of any experience who are rated below between 850 and 900. If there are players playing in that division that "should be" playing Advanced, either the Advanced field is weak or the players are unrated non-members and the TD isn't doing his job to ensure they play where their skill dictates (assuming of course that all of those "baggers" weren't first time tournament players themselves).

If Rec is the lowest division offered and there are enough players truly below the Rec level (rated below 850), then the TD should be offering MA4 to accommodate those players (and spare them from the "baggers").

Of course, if this was a non-sanctioned tournament, all bets are off.

All I'll say is this. The vast majority of those playing in Rec at this last tourney had numbers, and were above 850+. Many attended over 8+ tourneys a year, as well did league/school play...

Prior to and during the event, Advanced/Pro players began commenting on the sheer size of the Rec division, and pointing out friends who were blatantly s-bagging. The consensus was, the TD who normally does a great job, had dropped the ball there.

It didn't kill the event for me. I had a blast. I didn't go into it thinking I would win 'anything', because I fully expected my ass to get handed to me by just about everyone.

It was a Class C event, so nothing huge.. but sanctioned none-the-less. The Rec division was the 2nd biggest, besides Advanced, so IMO, another MA4 type group was justified.

I'm not b*tching because I don't want to play against better players... Not the case AT ALL. That's how you get better!! There are guys out there who have been playing less than a month who get rated above 950+ in no time, so I know its subjective.... I'm just not thrilled to sometimes see blatantly better players go to a lower division just to see their names at the top or get the chance at more crappy prizes (which I heard one younger guy bragging about).

If this is the tournament you're talking about, based on the pre-reg list, there are no PDGA members registered in Rec who don't belong there (or in a lower division). In fact, all the PDGA rated players in Intermediate should have been in Rec too. And I count 14 in Advanced who could be playing Int (some even in Rec).

Maybe when the results are posted, they'll tell a different story, but the only ones potentially "getting away" with anything are the non-members.

All I'll say is this. The vast majority of those playing in Rec at this last tourney had numbers, and were above 850+. Many attended over 8+ tourneys a year, as well did league/school play...

Prior to and during the event, Advanced/Pro players began commenting on the sheer size of the Rec division, and pointing out friends who were blatantly s-bagging. The consensus was, the TD who normally does a great job, had dropped the ball there.

Just because they're Advanced/Pros, doesn't mean they were right. Sometimes you get joking "bagger" comments; sometimes they're just flat-out wrong, and leading a first-timer astray.

The "Recreational" division is for people with ratings over 850. It is for people who play in multiple tournaments, and league play. It is, it appears, for those players who were playing in it. It's not the TD's job---nor within his power---to make people play in a higher division than that which they qualify for.

Glad you had a good time. Tournaments aren't for everyone, but can be lots of fun for the rest of us.

My advice for you is the same as I give all the guys who ask these questions. Pack a lunch, it is amazing how many people I have seen have to take penalty strokes for showing up late from lunch. Read the rule book a couple times. Have fun.

Latest posts