• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Fly High Discs

chevis

flick it
Silver level trusted reviewer
I see that the Fly High Discs have been PDGA approved. :clap:

Anybody been throwing these?... and like them. I'm curious.

lets try to keep this out of the landfill.

Approved discs (2/7/2015):

AK-47
Diesel
Jack the Ripper
KGB
Train Wreck
White Widow

I see that the Fly High Discs have been PDGA approved. :clap:

Anybody been throwing these?... and like them. I'm curious.

lets try to keep this out of the landfill.

Approved discs (2/7/2015):

AK-47
Diesel
Jack the Ripper
KGB
Train Wreck
White Widow

Which is your favorite mold? I'm a fan of the KGB/Karma as a really underrated disc in the stable mid category.

I liked the KGB I threw, but the plastic seemed a little too fragile by today's standards. Too bad too because it's a nice feeling blend.

Can't say I've ever thrown a Classic Roc to compare. I will say that after the first big tree hit, it all but lost its LSS completely. I need to take it back to the course actually to see if it's still that way, or if I was getting tired.

I've thrown the AK-47 and the Diesel. AK-47 has gotta be a SSS Wizard...I'm almost positive. Great feeling gummy baseline plastic.
Diesel is a stable to OS driver. Not my thing, but I'd say somewhat similar to a Wraith or Trespass.

I've thrown the AK-47 and the Diesel. AK-47 has gotta be a SSS Wizard...I'm almost positive. Great feeling gummy baseline plastic.
Diesel is a stable to OS driver. Not my thing, but I'd say somewhat similar to a Wraith or Trespass.

MSt agrees. Their quote on the AK47 is "A rose is a rose by any other name, and this disc is a Wizard"

So far they only have the Sticky Icky blend? They should definitely get a more durable plastic for their drivers. Indeed, I thought the AK-47 looks like a Wizard, and the White Widow looks like a Magic. That's a funny concept these guys have.

So far they only have the Sticky Icky blend? They should definitely get a more durable plastic for their drivers. Indeed, I thought the AK-47 looks like a Wizard, and the White Widow looks like a Magic. That's a funny concept these guys have.

The discs are molded by Gateway so it's no surprise. They developed a plastic blend and are running it in popular Gateway molds.

I agree that the plastic isn't ideal for drivers but man do those AK-47's feel amazing.

Maybe they'll start running mids and drivers in the praised Armor plastic at some point :) Gateway mids are really nice and don't get enough love in my opinion. Does anyone know if they are planning to have some molds of their own in the future?

I recently got a Jack The Ripper and a Train Wreck and am impressed with both. The JTR flies exactly as the Inbounds chart shows (at least for me it does), perfectly straight. That thing will hold the line you put it on until it hits the ground, very controllable. The TW flew very close to the Inbounds chart as well, nice sweeping S curves, sometimes with a nice skip at the end if the terrain allowed for it. Sticky Icky plastic is the bee's knees. Better grip than anything else I've thrown. If only they made Buzzzes in Sticky Icky...

The discs are molded by Gateway so it's no surprise. They developed a plastic blend and are running it in popular Gateway molds.

I agree that the plastic isn't ideal for drivers but man do those AK-47's feel amazing.

So, all of the fly high discs are just current gateway molds using a new proprietary blend of plastic? Why would they even need to get pdga approval?

So, all of the fly high discs are just current gateway molds using a new proprietary blend of plastic? Why would they even need to get pdga approval?

BC they're being marketed as a new disc. Similar to
Hyzer bomb molding the beadless Gator as the Mortar

Last edited:
BC they're being marketed as a new disc. Similar to
Hyzer bomb molding the beadless Gator as the Mortar

I get the comparison, but the beadless gator was not overly prevalent and it would appear that innova has given up molding them and selling them as the gator in favour of giving the disc to hyzer bomb.

I just think it is strange to release a whole line of discs and not tell anyone that it is simply current molds in a new plastic. Especially when one of those rebranded discs is the much vaunted wizard. If RDG had tried to pass the lizard off as a new disc because in was in fossil plastic I do not think you would have garnered as much of a following as you have now.

as someone with major passion for disc golf as well as the extracurriculars scott's discs are representative of....

I have zero interest in these products.

weird.

I feel that as a whole disc golf's associations are far beyond that subject these days, seems like this would have worked well in the mid 90's?

Latest posts