• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] For the love of the Bird! ..Teebird that is!

I threw a buds new 175 shimmer star TB last night. It was a horrible dark/gun metal green and had too much sharp flashing for my taste. Anyway, at 325' on a slight anny low line, it quickly fought out and had a forward sweeping fade to 30' left with a small skip. On a 150' upshot flick, it was looking for the ground as soon as it left my hand. About as stable as some of the recent run champs I've thrown. The plastic was swirly, had some flex, and reminded me a lot of a slightly stiffer Legacy Legend plastic that I bag, perhaps a little less grippy but that could be just that its new. It could easily fill a stable wind fighter role IMO.

I've got a 175g. Star, it was a mis stamped gem at my local PIAS so X out but not F2. The 166g. Is not Any less stable, just far more workable if that makes any sense. It's like O can throw it in the same lines but it's a friggin bomber in comparison to the heavier TB. In the wind though it's the big daddy. The heavier one is far more beat and I can't wait until I get that one beat into a more workable disc. Great mold!

Well, the lightweight Teeb proved me wrong. There it into a stiff headwind the other day after throwing my max weight and I outdrove myself by nearly 20'. Also got a new one in today. Max weight, embossed, mini stamp..... Flies a tick less stable than my others but still fades dependably, just a little less also it's got a bit more dome but the PLH looks the same. How are these embossed mini stamp TBs flying for everyone else?

Yeah I have a couple of maroon ones that are surprisingly beefy. From my experience any of the OG champ and star 150 class before they started using blizzard aren't really flippy.

Sure they get eaten up in headwinds and torque monkeys will blame the disc but if your throw is decent they'll go a long way without a ton of effort.

Those are so fun to throw. I used to throw mine for standstill get out of trouble shots. Teebird distance & control with no run up.

yup

I can't justify the slot in the bag but that's what I was using them for as well. Kinda fun to throw in the woods too

I got a TB3 in a trade and I did the trade essentially to do the guy a favor. I didn't except to like a 159 G* TB3 but I threw it in my all Innova bag and forgot about it.

Until last night, when I broke that sucker out and knocked down three birdies with it.

Light Teebirds are still good Teebird.

I was sniffing around the factory store a bit ago and picked up an F2 TB that was 135g.

It is marked as star and may be a bit domier than I would like but PLH is in a good place unlike light DX TBs I've had. It is a Teebird in every way, just really light. It is basically my get out of trouble and FH disc since I can only forehand with zero upper arm movement.

Light Teebirds are still good Teebird.

I love this about Teebirds. I gave my fiancée a 159g Starlite a few months back and when I've thrown it, I'm almost wishing I hadn't spent hundreds on Star and Champ 170+ already. I've been able to mash on it and get it to go ~350 on a laser. No turn, very little fade at all toward the end of the flight.

She loves it because she can give it anny (form issue she's getting better at) and have it come back to the center instead of taking off right like her Discraft Sting. She also has a 170 beat DX, one of my old ones, which is a laser for her. I don't think she likes it as much because the flight isn't as cool as the other.

Anyone mess with Star Teebirds in the 159-160g weight? Do they get flippy really fast?

My BH is nothing like my FH. My Teebird is my most consistent BH distance disc. I've got a 175g Nybo that is still very OS & I'm thinking about trying out a lighter weight for bigger distance.

Anyone mess with Star Teebirds in the 159-160g weight? Do they get flippy really fast?

My BH is nothing like my FH. My Teebird is my most consistent BH distance disc. I've got a 175g Nybo that is still very OS & I'm thinking about trying out a lighter weight for bigger distance.

I have a 166g. AJ TB. That's just as stable as my Max weight star and a tick more stable than my mini stamp TB. I don't know if a TB ever gets flippy but my absolute most beat up TB just started to drift right ever so slightly after a year of usage and for a about 3 months it was the only one ITB.

Question for those of you more familiar with the Innova plastics. How is the stability of the champion color glow plastic compare to standard star plastic?

Question for those of you more familiar with the Innova plastics. How is the stability of the champion color glow plastic compare to standard star plastic?

I have found the Jen Allen teebirds to be among the most overstable Teebirds out there to start. Pretty similar to the old Brinsters in terms of stability.

Edit: I can't really compare them to star all that much as I prefer the color glow plastic to star. The few star that I have thrown included an older AJ run that was domey and very beefy while the newer runs have been a bit straighter from my experience.

Last edited:
I have a 166g. AJ TB. That's just as stable as my Max weight star and a tick more stable than my mini stamp TB. I don't know if a TB ever gets flippy but my absolute most beat up TB just started to drift right ever so slightly after a year of usage and for a about 3 months it was the only one ITB.

They're a bit beefier IME. They'll season into something like the Star and probably stay in that spot for a while.

I'll throw in a third opinion. My Jen Allen '18 is not much beefier than my beefier Star Teebirds. Not as stable as a Champion Teebird, but near.

I'll throw in a third opinion. My Jen Allen '18 is not much beefier than my beefier Star Teebirds. Not as stable as a Champion Teebird, but near.

This is true from my experience as well. I pretty much throw exclusively 17 JA birds because they are flat and very overstable. They are almost like a beat in sexton at first. The 18 JA bird I have is more like a standard glow champ or beefy star bird. It is a bit more neutral than the previous year.

This is true from my experience as well. I pretty much throw exclusively 17 JA birds because they are flat and very overstable. They are almost like a beat in sexton at first. The 18 JA bird I have is more like a standard glow champ or beefy star bird. It is a bit more neutral than the previous year.

They pair very nicely for me. The '18 will flex if I force it over where the '17 won't. The '17 is the workhorse tho. If there is a line for it I will throw it every time.

They pair very nicely for me. The '18 will flex if I force it over where the '17 won't. The '17 is the workhorse tho. If there is a line for it I will throw it every time.

I can definitely see that.

As an aside, I just cracked my favorite 11x Teebird that had seasoned in to perfectly straight with the tiniest bit of fade at the end. Squared up a tree about 200 ft off the tee and walked up to it with a crack rim to rim right down the middle. It was a really sad day, a good reminder to keep your good stuff in the closet over the winter.

RIP. The ones that have years of work put in to them really sting. I know the feeling well. I am not above sitting and whipping a new one into a fence for an hour to get it started. Although I wouldn't recommend that in the winter I guess. Good luck.