• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] For the love of the Bird! ..Teebird that is!

Metal Flakes are often the more os of any mold. I've got a 168g Glow Champion Teebird that is super os right now because I haven't used it much. I even bought a 159g Star that is crazy os. Can't go wrong with them.
This is not always the case though. I had a max weight MF McBeth T3 that was the straightest Teebird I've ever thrown

This is not always the case though. I had a max weight MF McBeth T3 that was the straightest Teebird I've ever thrown

Nor the case with the current MF teebirds. They've got the HSS to stay straight, LSF of a hard 2, and a true 5 glide. I can get mine to 350-380 easily where my Star and champ need a little wear. Honestly, my fresh MF teebirds remind me of my PFNs when they were in their "sweetspot."

Just wanted to say that I love my Teebirds. Beat DX for stable shots and champion for a good OS finish every time. They just go so straight. Love 'em!

Nor the case with the current MF teebirds. They've got the HSS to stay straight, LSF of a hard 2, and a true 5 glide. I can get mine to 350-380 easily where my Star and champ need a little wear. Honestly, my fresh MF teebirds remind me of my PFNs when they were in their "sweetspot."

That is my take on the current MF Teebirds, but also new star. My old Star AJ sig, was so OS when new and I beat it and beat it with spike hyzers on a rocky course and tough tree lined shots whenever possible and it hit an amazing sweet spot for a long time, still awesome straight straight straight. My first MF was one of the ones that had more and smaller flakes. It was such a great compliment to the beat up star. Even after a lot of wear had amazing wind fighting HSS and still strong forward fade. After I lost it I tried to replace it with more MF and just got a new tourney stamped MF. All of the new ones are great Teebirds but not what I had. They don't seem to love the wind like my original. They are ok in wind but just not as burly. Likewise my fresh AJ sig stars (embossed) started out way mellower than my old star. Its great but i've had trouble getting the right disc for the more OS teebird slot. A fresh eagle doesn't have near the glide the teebird has at the same HSS, I've been using a nice meaty star wraith for the shot i used to use a fresh Star or my original MF.

That is my take on the current MF Teebirds, but also new star. My old Star AJ sig, was so OS when new and I beat it and beat it with spike hyzers on a rocky course and tough tree lined shots whenever possible and it hit an amazing sweet spot for a long time, still awesome straight straight straight. My first MF was one of the ones that had more and smaller flakes. It was such a great compliment to the beat up star. Even after a lot of wear had amazing wind fighting HSS and still strong forward fade. After I lost it I tried to replace it with more MF and just got a new tourney stamped MF. All of the new ones are great Teebirds but not what I had. They don't seem to love the wind like my original. They are ok in wind but just not as burly. Likewise my fresh AJ sig stars (embossed) started out way mellower than my old star. Its great but i've had trouble getting the right disc for the more OS teebird slot. A fresh eagle doesn't have near the glide the teebird has at the same HSS, I've been using a nice meaty star wraith for the shot i used to use a fresh Star or my original MF.

Have you tried a thunderbird in that slot? I like them as a stable bookend. Not exactly the same flight, I find the fade is more sweeping than dumping and a little more skip... also a little better wind penetration.
And I like the variance of stability by plastic, I'll bag a different thunderbird depending on wind speed.

I've been using an absolutely beat firebird for my OS Teebird slot. I have some 12x birds that were pretty beefy at the start but they lost that OS understandably quick. At first I had a '16 Halloween stamp Champ firebird that got run over by a riding mower but lost it trying to go over a thicket. Now I'm tossing my '18 Sexton firebird which was my workhorse FH disc last year.

My issue with a Thunderbird in that slot is it's easy to overthrow or the disc doesn't fade as hard. Perhaps using an older Star Thunderbird, the brick hard ones, could work but I haven't bagged mine for it.

Interesting about the new Star, I haven't tossed the 5 I bought a month ago...yet

Disc Golf Values has some splatter star teebirds. How's that plastic blend been treating the other molds its been produced in?

Champ Teebird at the end of the cycle? I've also found Star Teebird3's and the Nybo Swirly stars to be somewhat similar to the OS AJ sigs.

I have been thinking about cycling some DX TBs. Anyone else do it? I'm assuming they cycle faster than a Roc because the rim is thinner. Am I correct? How long till they hit the point of no return? I'm hoping to produce some glide machines.
I would probably keep a champ TB in the bag to have a consistent OS bookend.

I have been thinking about cycling some DX TBs. Anyone else do it? I'm assuming they cycle faster than a Roc because the rim is thinner. Am I correct? How long till they hit the point of no return? I'm hoping to produce some glide machines.

DX is more durable than most will give it credit for. As long as you're not Simon drilling the first tree off the tee every hole, a DX TB will be useful for quite awhile.
You should do it.

DX is more durable than most will give it credit for. As long as you're not Simon drilling the first tree off the tee every hole, a DX TB will be useful for quite awhile.
You should do it.

What he said ^^^^:thmbup:

I have a 3 year old DX Teebird, the stamp is almost gone and it's all kinds of chewed up and it's still useful. A Hyzer flip machine with amazing glide and they make great rollers when thrashed.

The only people who seem to give DX a bad rap are torque monkeys and people who hear torque monkeys complain about DX being flippy. AKA, those who have little or no DX experience but pass along bad hearsay info.

One can learn a lot by cycling DX Teebirds; or Rocs, Eagles etc. :D

What he said ^^^^:thmbup:

I have a 3 year old DX Teebird, the stamp is almost gone and it's all kinds of chewed up and it's still useful. A Hyzer flip machine with amazing glide and they make great rollers when thrashed.

The only people who seem to give DX a bad rap are torque monkeys and people who hear torque monkeys complain about DX being flippy. AKA, those who have little or no DX experience but pass along bad hearsay info.

One can learn a lot by cycling DX Teebirds; or Rocs, Eagles etc. :D

I trust Zappa fans. Looks Like I'll be buying 4-5 this week.

You should do it.

I have a DX Teebird that I used for a while. It mellowed into a TL-'ish' flight after a couple of months of very steady use on my home course, but never reached what I would call the point of 'no return'.

Some DX can last a very long time, while other batches seem to wear out much more quickly. My $0.02 on it is the more waxy it feels, the faster its flight will begin changing. I don't like the waxy DX because of grip issues, not flight issues, but if you find the right batch, it can be a very good plastic.

I am starting to go mostly Tbird for driving lately. My best throwers have been DX and the old Ching Tbird.

I'd like to see the style and form of the players who claim their DX disc become unplayable after one season or less. My bet is it's not the disc but their form that's the problem.

I had one TB dx that was my most US disc, at 170g. Even my beat up dx stingray wasnt as US. Perfect disc for long turnovers. Cycling TBs, Beasts, and Rivers I am loving.

I am starting to go mostly Tbird for driving lately. My best throwers have been DX and the old Ching Tbird.

I'd like to see the style and form of the players who claim their DX disc become unplayable after one season or less. My bet is it's not the disc but their form that's the problem.

Sell me a ching TB local....

I know this has already been replied to, but I'd like to chime in from my summer of teebird. I used nothing but dx teebirds for drivers. This was a few years ago so runs may differ.

Dx teebirds always seemed to be a gamble. You'd get one in a blue moon that was properly 0 stable, some that were neutralish and most with some flip. They crush, no doubt, and fly unreal far for how straight they are...as long as you can lock that particular teebird in. Cycling rocs was way easier for me because they seemed more consistently true out of the box to their 0 HST rating.

My guess is you'll be left wanting for a perfectly neutral teebird between your dx and champ. Pick up a gstar. They are ****ing amazing out of the box, and even better after a few solid tree whacks. They start at 0/1.5 and beat to -.5/.5

I'm not simon lizotte but i cannot stand shanking a drive and then not knowing how my disc will fly afterward. It's a real problem for confidence, which can seriously impact your game, as well as consistency. In minnesota you have many courses in the woods. 60 mph disc off the tee? Into immediate tree? isn't going to fly the same.

I don't throw hard in the woods like i used to so i don't have that problem much anymore, but you get the idea. Get a gstar. Use a dx to season into hyzerflip/turnovet. Cap with champ/star. Gstar will get so much use it'll eventually replace dx for everything neutral to flippy, i bet.

And there is no point of no return imo. Beat dx teebirds are super useful from standstills and for rollers. Life cycle depends on your armspeed, accuracy and course type.

Last edited:

Latest posts