• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand to Backhand help needed

Ruckus

My summer starts Friday and I'm looking to spend the majority of it switching from forehand to backhand. I'm doing this because I believe I have maxed out my distance potential throwing forehand (400 ft) and I know there is more distance potential backhand. So I'm looking for any advice at all on switching from forehand to backhand and starting my backhand technique and such from square one.

Just don't do what a lot of other players do and lose your forehand in the process.

Flick at least 1-2 long drives per round even after you learn to anny or wield uber understable discs.

Just don't do what a lot of other players do and lose your forehand in the process.

Flick at least 1-2 long drives per round even after you learn to anny or wield uber understable discs.

I am planning on using backhand more frequently once I get it down but I will definitely keep the forehand in my arsenal.

If I could turn back time, I would've started with only stand-still throws with nothing above speed 5/6 discs. Also, would've taken videos to post it up here for critique before getting stuck with bad habits/muscle memory.

Okay so stand still throws and post video on form analysis, anything else?

I think that would be a good start. Dont try to strong arm it. Clean, smooth form. I went straight for strong arm, and am having to backtrack to correct form.

Practice, practice, and practice some more. I'm in the process of getting a decent backhand after playing FH for almost 3 years. I'm just mainly focusing on form and starting out with mids and getting them down before i step up to larger drivers.

Disc down and commit to making the transition. My backhand development was slowed by the fact that I would throw thumber or sidearm any time I felt pressure or needed to make a shot. I didn't improve until I forced myself to throw NOTHING but backhand for several solo practice rounds.

I did the same thing about 2 years ago. I did it more because I feel that my bh is more accurate and I can hit more lines. My max fh is 450' (I know people never believe that distance but I put it past hole 7 here, http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=174&mode=hi ,in the c position last week. I am now getting my backhand out to 400 on my best drives. My best advice is to learn to throw a putter from stand still. You need good form to keep them on the right line.

From someone who has thrown bh for most of his dg "career" and is now trying to re-learn the right way, a lot of good advice has already been offered.

Focusing from the hit back (hammer pound / right pec drill), slowly begin to incorporate things like proper weight shift, reach back, and run-up.

This seems to be the way to go. It's a slow, gradual process, and my mistake was to try to learn it all at once and expect results.

good advice for sure.
i've only been playing for 2 years... just " started over " with working on form a month ago.
IMHO, getting the mechanics ( form ) of the BH down first will get you better results... and faster than trying to throw the same shots you throw FH just with a backwards angle.
be the " hero " with the FH.... use your BH as an upshot to start.
when it's low... flat... effortless ... and landing where you want it... THEN start to play with the lines.
( anny, hyzer flip. hyzer spike )

watch you own video first.
i thought my BH was my strongest shot... but had never seen it on video... Avery Jenkins tore my BH
UP at a clinic last month. they showed me the video... and ( from what i have learned reading this forum) i understood why. i THOUGHT i was doing it right... but after seeing it on video ... it was obvious that what i was feeling... and what i was actually doing... not even close.

I'm in the same boat...about maxed out on my forehand and too dependent on that particular throw. My strategy has been to watch instructional videos, read about proper form, and then do field work. I've been taking a stack of Buzzzes and shooting at a target 200' away to start. I gradually move further away and work on fundamentals. When I have a bad shot, I try to consider what exactly went wrong so that I can fix it for my next throw.

It really helps to have a friend for this. Ask around at your local course. I'm sure another player would be happy to trade backhand tutelage for a lesson or two on forehand. Best of luck to you! I'll definitely be checking out this thread some more in hopes of having my backhand match my forehand by the end of the summer!

While I have always had the ability to throw both FH and BH my forehand was the most reliable. A few years ago I began to have a lot of pain in my left shoulder although I was right handed. A forehand requires that you PULL your left shoulder and I was getting some separation. When you begin to throw more backhand shots just remember to push your left shoulder around. As we recently explained it to the gf of a player, try to punch your target with your left shoulder. I hope this basic thought will help you to through better backhands.

I am going to agree with the consensus and say try not to lose your FH. I would also advise picking one throwing style in which you commit to. I used to play 50/50 BH/FH and would just throw hyzers. My consistency, line shaping ability, confidence, and PDGA rating all got better when I committed to throwing 90/10 FH/BH. Most people will argue that its better to have more types of shots while I'm more of a proponent of quality over quantity. It really comes down to how much time you have to spend on your game. If you have the time and practice regiment to keep both throws highly consistent and accurate, more power to you.

I'm happy to report that I've been practicing! I shot a round under par using only backhand shots from every teebox. Granted, I did play a shorter course, but my line shaping has gotten much better. At this point, I've taken the distance drivers out of my bag and don't throw anything faster than a Teebird.

When throwing backhand, I'm still a good 50' short of where my distance drives land throwing forehand, but the gap is closing. Has anyone else seen any progress? Any ideas on how to advance my backhand game besides discing down and doing field work?

I started doing this myself this year. I dropped down to nothing faster than a speed 7, and only 8 molds in my bag. I've since increased the molds to help identify what I like the most, and still only use speed 7.

PRACTICE, not "PRACTICE rounds"!!!

I like Will Schuestericks you tube video on the stand still backhand to work on your form. Then I moved to the Avery Jenkins video and learned the X-step for footwork. I like the x-step just for the fact it keeps things slower and has fewer extra movement.

I think after several months of working on backhand I have now lost my once great forehand. I grip it different than most ppl also, kind of like a bh power grip but with two fingers as opposed to 2 side by side fingers? Any tips or suggestions to work back into it?