• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand Wobble?

Spike Hyzer

Birdie Member
Give me your best tip to reduce Wobble on the forehand. I consider my forehand shot to be a real strength of mine. It is very accurate up to 330, and I can comfortably reach 375. I have noticed that sometimes during the start of the flight it can wobble a bit. How can I stop that from happening?

Honestly, combining the previous two comments is about the best you can do. I would say it's also best to use two fingers inside the rim. Provides a little more stability and accuracy than just one. But if you're reaching 375 with your forehand, you're no beginner, so that's all I got.

You have a better forehand than me. But in addition to those already proper comments, maybe flick some putters or mids...or ultimate/catch disc for a bit to really concentrate on a super clean snap finish.

Another huge thing is make sure to follow through completely

In addition to the good advice above, I think its really important to keep the disc on the same plane throughout the throw. Whether you're throwing flat, hyzer or anhyzer, begin the throw, execute the hit, and follow through all on the same angle. The easiest way to get OAT or wobble is to jerk through the hit and mess up the angle. If you film yourself from behind and watch a bad flick in slow mo you can see it plain as day.

^^ he's hit the nail on the head, it's how you follow through. Keeping everything on the same plain helps you follow through smoothly, you're more than likely rolling your wrist or something trying to bring the disc to the flight plain you want. A video would help if you can post one, or watch a few vids of Jeremy Koling he has a very smooth sidearm.

Just try tightening the grip first if it's loose. My forehand use to wobble on occasions because of the tip to keep loose that alot of people give (good intentions on that tip, but somewhat misleading imo). I tightened up the grip and the wobbles went away.

I agree with most of the posts above, except for the first response which suggests that you pinch the flight plate rather than the rim.

For my forehand, I'm not really "pinching" anywhere, but the majority of the power comes from pressure inside the rim. I only use one finger inside the rim, and the tip of my index finger pushing solidly into the inside of the rim to accelerate the disc. With that application of force you don't need any counter/"pinching" force; the inertia of the disc itself is what holds the disc on your finger. (That way, all of the force you apply inside the rim goes into the disc's momentum, rather than being counteracted by a pinching force.)

The wobble issue has to do with how smoothly you apply that force, and whether the direction of force goes through the center of mass of the disc. For distance drivers, most of the mass is in the rim of the disc, so the height of the center of mass is very close to halfway up the inside of the rim. That means that if your fingertip is centered on the inside of the rim and you push in a straight horizontal motion, the line of force goes through the center of gravity of the disc.

At that point, you just have to focus on a smooth/continuous force and staying in the same plane of motion throughout the throwing motion. (Mike C pointed this out above.) For a flat and level release, I like to imagine that I'm dragging the disc across a level tabletop.

The smoothness of the throw can be messed up by so many factors -- trying to jerk too hard to get extra snap, or even janky footwork. I would recommend practicing the throwing motion with a single step (or just a simple weight transfer with your feet planted) to get a smooth release down.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Another question about wobble? How does it affect the flight? Loss of distance?

Thanks for all the advice guys. Another question about wobble? How does it affect the flight? Loss of distance?

Loss of a bit of speed and stability...this could turn into some pseudo-science argument easily if gone to the wrong direction. But to me, wobble makes the discs have less HSS and flip over more.

The thing is most people who have wobbly forehands throw really beefy OS monsters that they have no business throwing, so the wobbles help them turn over, the discs "hook up" while turned over, then fade out eventually. If they threw the discs properly without the wobble they would actually lose 30-60' often times. (Of course if they threw cleanly with the same power with a more reasonable stability disc for their arm speed they would get that distance back and have good accuracy as well).

So to me wobble = loss of HSS and less predictability. Plus there's essentially no wind resistance if you throw a disc with wobble, if it's a gusty day then the disc will be gone somewhere.

Forehand wobble

I can throw 385' with a Shryke but it would wobble. Read through this and fixed it up. I was trying to fix it with over stability which gave me a dump fade at close range. Like said the flutter I couldn't throw into any amount of wind. Pinching the flight plate, leading my hand as much as possible with elbow forward, palm up follow through. Might have been torquing it over before release. Agree with the Valkyrie, what I used 6 years ago when I started playing forehand only. Started dabbling in backhand and lost everything I had:( haha. Got that thunderbird smokin now, hopefully master my Roc. Thanks to all.

My best advice would be to focus on the finger push/snap directly as you end the reach back. Wobble occurs when the disc has to little rpm relative to air speed. So really getting that hit with lots of rpm is a key factor.

Also follow through can be a big culprit.

When i switched up my grip, that did wonders for me. I had a stacked grip with the Fingerprints on the flight plate, when i switched it up to a power grip (mcbeth kinda grip) where my fingers went on the inside of the rim, things started to come out cleeean. It may not work for you, but who knows.

Sequencing, grip etc. hard to tell without a video.

I think wobble is a timing issue by not using your body to throw ending up throwing with your arm loosing the hips or upper body stretch.

I have noticed recently why i can smash 10 clean 350 feet+ in a row in a field and after picking them up and throw them i do 10 wobbely throws like all suddenly lost that feeling.

Its when you focus to much loading up your arm and turn with your arm to reachback instead of loading up your body and actully turn your body using the core muscle to become a spring. By doing that your arm will automaticlly loosing up.

Its funny because both throws can kinda look the same if you film yourself. You have to feel the stretch. Just put your arm close to you and twist in the last step with your whole body, try stay forwarded until the last step.

Wobble is either oat or to high velocity compared to spinrate.

So in effect either it is too much swoop motion in the arm or to much arm speed with to little wrist/finger push.

Usually the best fix is to slow down the arm and as soon you reach peak reach back you focus on the finger push. Slowing down the arm makes it easier to release without oat and the finger push timinig becomes easier

I was very crappy forehand thrower in last summer, but in this summer i noticed that if you throw your forehands like this: you need to accelerate the throw smoothly all way to the release point. If you throw your forehands such a way that your disc eventually doesn't accelerate smooth but abrupt way then you can be sure that you had way too much wobble in your throw and then your forehands need excessively hyzer angle because when disc flyes at too much wobble any disc will fly like understable ones. For myself my forehands flyes overwhelmingly better compared to last year, and all i do different is smooth acceleration...

I still struggle with forehand distance, but I greatly reduced the wobble recently. Some great tips above, but for me, the biggest bang for the buck wrt wobble was relaxing my arm and focusing on the active wrist at the end. Before, I was strong-arming everything, even when I thought I wasn't. Much as with backhand, applying "force" anywhere except perhaps right at the end is counterproductive.