• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form Analysis

SW22 will correct me if I am wrong but yes, CoG too much east. That is what causes the unbalance in the follow through as well. Crush the can, One leg drill.

Your backswing motion is very aggressive/violent/jerky/hyperextended and moving downward, instead of smooth/levitating/floating. If you did this motion with a hammer or anything heavy you would likely rip your elbow apart.

Try to keep your forearm pointed at the target all the way and then unhinge around the forearm/disc to the top of the backswing as the body turns back - Door Frame 3/Bow Arrow Drills.

Note how much more relaxed Chris is in the backswing with his elbow/forearm/disc.

Quick aside: I've been following Anthony Bodanza's disc golf journey for awhile now. His progress interests me because we have a very similar body type (at least to my eye). I know his form is not ideal, but I'm curious about what he does that gives him an extra ~ 50-70ft of distance over me.

1. Looks like you are still in a lot of Anterior Pelvic Tilt and Spine Extension. (Anthony is as well but not as much).
2. Anthony looks like he has longer arms - apex index, and more muscle.
3. Anthony has a better power pocket with shoulders and the lower arm more level.
4. Note how Anthony's head/chin is better stacked up above his shoulders, your right shoulder is going into your right ear and chin is down into your chest.
Screen Shot 2023-10-31 at 6.45.48 PM copy.jpg

Wow, thanks for the analysis SW22, this is spot on! I never noticed how much that upward-angled lower arm really shortens my already shorter levers. I'll work on keeping that more level and try to get this anterior pelvic tilt thing figured out.

With regards to the hiked-up shoulder and poor power pocket: is this because I am pulling the disc/activating my arm early? Should I be actively trying to pull the disc toward myself to achieve a better pocket, or is the pocket simply the result of optimal upper body timing?

I think it's mainly your balance/posture extending/standing up out of the shot. Drew has more hinge into the front hip so his chest is more tilted over knees and staying down more thru the hit like a lumberjack.
Screen Shot 2023-11-03 at 3.06.14 PM.png

When you say hinge into the front hip, do you mean bending over at the waist and staying down over the disc through the swing?

Went out at lunch today to attempt to fix the shoulder level thing, wasn't very successful. Shoulders look marginally more level, but still end up in that anterior tilt at release.

Some video from behind the tee might help show things a little differently.

I'd like to see you doing door frame drills. You can see how much more torso stretch GG gets with his hips closer to target.
Screen Shot 2023-11-06 at 5.28.31 PM.png

When you say hinge into the front hip, do you mean bending over at the waist and staying down over the disc through the swing?
The hip is the top/head of the femur which is a ball and socket joint into the bottom of the pelvis. You hinge at the hip when sitting.
The waist is your lumbar spine - do not hinge or bend at waist/belt bucket.

I also recorded another side view video, and included my practice swing beforehand. Can anyone tell me why my rear leg action looks so much better during the practice swing?

Not sure you are focused on the right thing. You take a really long stride and get stuck behind your front foot/jam into the front hip, instead of standing up on it into the finish.

Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 5.55.21 PM copy.jpg

Is my stride too long even in the regular throw? At the end of the swivel video, you talk about how you should be stacked over the front foot (or slightly behind when moving dynamically) as you swing thru. If that's the case, why do so many pros look like they have their front foot way beyond the rest of their body? Referencing the pic of Drew in post 71. Just because they are moving forward so quickly?

Might just be due to your un-athletic posture, hip/spine extension. Your spine is more vertical with your head/shoulders more back toward your heels. You would get posterized by Terrible Terry Tate tackling you.

Drew has more hip hinge tilting his spine/chest/shoulders forward toward his knees/toes like getting ready to make an athletic move and head/chest more overtop the arm/disc. He could survive TTT hitting him. Note how Drew finishes with left shoulder/head over front foot and pivots all the way thru without slowing down.

Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 10.06.47 PM copy.png
Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 10.30.10 PM.png

Struggling to think of how to get my body in that more athletic posture. Would door frame drills help me get out of that extended spine position?