• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form Analysis

Thanks for all your help so far, SW. Alright, I'm thinking hammer toss drills will be my best bet for getting used to a more athletic stance in terms of hip hinge and spine extension. Went out today and learned that I suck at throwing hammers. The second rear view video is better (I think??).

Looks like you are trying to kill(or spin) the hammer instead of effortless toss. Grip also looks choked up on the hammer.
When you go into backswing your head is tilting over more instead of moving back with the rest of the body.
Address/finish you are still behind your front leg. Front foot/leg is severely turned back, probably because you are trying to kill the hammer and griplocking that way.
Screen Shot 2023-11-08 at 2.43.06 PM.png

More hammer swings, looking much better I think. Also did some standstills. Am I over-turning my hips in my backswing in the drills and throws?

Posture, posture, posture.

Note how extended/curved your address posture is and then at release you are falling over your toes/west into the swing path which pulls your swing off to the right/east "griplocking". Note how your pelvis changes tilt, and your body is chasing the swing getting pulled over by it.

Note how my address and release posture are basically the same, my posture is not curved, but more diagonal stacked on slightly tilted axis. Note how I keep my head inside my posture thru the release to counter the swing and send it away from me like Olympic Hammer Thrower.
Screen Shot 2023-11-10 at 1.21.35 AM.png

Had a realization today: I think my core is very weak/lazy.
Went out to work on hip hinge, and discovered that when I hinge at the hips, I naturally have zero core activation, which causes my anterior pelvic tilt. If I engage my core, I'm able to correct it. Unfortunately, I think this poor posture is very ingrained in me, so it's gonna take a lot of reps to make it automatic.IMG_0414.jpegIMG_0415.jpeg
These two photos show me attempting hip hinge without and with core activation.

I can see that I'm still not hinging nearly as much as I think I am.

I also had a question about hip movement. In the following video, is the first hip motion bad (jamming up against it) and the second good (swiveling/clearing the front)? I felt like doing the first motion was jarring me back into anterior tilt, whereas I was able to maintain good posture when it felt like I was swiveling the hips. I think I have a tendency to jam into the front because I'm afraid of "griplocking" if I don't stop the hip.

It's more a combination of tilt(moving from two legs) and turn(on one leg).

Been doing a lot of shadow swings and swing drills for the past two weeks.
Have resigned myself to throwing standstills only till I can get my posture, hip motion, and weight transfer looking better. This was my best of the bunch today.

I find that I can only throw at my aim point if my plant leg and foot are turned in as you see in the video. Putting it more perpendicular to the target causes grip locks. Is this within the range of acceptability, or does it reveal a problem in my swing?

I see/feel a lot of improvement in my upper body and posture now. The swing thought "shoulders pressed down and attached to spine" is what helps me stop pulling the disc. I also think I was over-reaching with my arm previously, which caused a disconnect between my torso and shoulder, collapsing, hugging, etc.

I've included a standstill (not sure what happened with my balance on this one),

and down-tempo drives side and rearview.

Thoughts on how the upper body and posture is looking, and if improved, what I should focus on next?

Need to move back deeper inside posture in backswing.
Screen Shot 2023-12-01 at 7.33.58 PM.png

Couple of questions from the video.
3:50-6:00
1. You say not to let the rear foot spin out in the backswing. Does this apply only to standstills, or to x-step as well?
2. Related - Should we have a neutral hip/foot position throughout the run-up/x-step as well?

6:00-7:00
What is the purpose of the two different ways/styles to throw standstill? I can see how you stay inside posture with the second style "battering ram", but not sure how to maintain that with the first style (more "in-line").
8:30
Is the purpose of looping the arm at the end of the backswing to prevent rounding? Is this a conscious effort, or a consequence of proper posture/timing?

Last edited:
1. both
2. yes

3. more inline style your center needs to get pushed deeper back inside toward your heels/east as you move targetward.
4. correct prevent rounding, conscious effort to redirect back out.

Latest posts