• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form Check

KT13

I am relatively new to the sport and have been consistently been playing for a year now. I have been stuck at about 350 backhand, and recently have been able to get a lightweight tern about 400.

Not sure if my form is all that good, and what steps I need to take in order to get better.

https://youtu.be/4Rjbbfq57c4

You are leading your stride with your toes instead of your mAss and heel.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 6.31.16 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 6.31.16 PM.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 78
Wow, that is so clear now that you point that out. I hope to work on that some tomorrow and will post the update.

I have not really done much form change before, so I will ask something that may be a dumb question. Will this have an immediate impact on my distance?

It might or might not.

Don't focus about distance or numbers.

Focus on efficiency. Distance will happen.

^Have not encountered a contrary case yet.

In my experience, expect some ups and downs as you develop and observe long run trends.

I have done things that improved distance at the expense of my body. Now I can throw farther than I used to more consistently when I want without getting hurt.

Many people learn to throw far and still leave efficiencies on the table.

I will caution that there's always something you could tweak so it is important to set short, middle, and long term goals if you want to do mechanics focused work.

I have been super busy and have not had a chance to do any practice work. I will definitely work on this tonight.

If I were to also post my forehand form, would you be able to help me improve it?

Also, what is the most efficient way to get this into my form?

Is it just doing the drill for a while, and then incorporating it into my form? Or do the drill a couple times and then incorporating it in?

Also, how do I incorporate it into my form? Ive been trying and it just doesnt feel natural and I am messing everything up.

Also, what is the most efficient way to get this into my form?

Is it just doing the drill for a while, and then incorporating it into my form? Or do the drill a couple times and then incorporating it in?

Also, how do I incorporate it into my form? Ive been trying and it just doesnt feel natural and I am messing everything up.

Having been around the block a bit now, if you're going the drill approach...

1. Do it. Get it critiqued so you make sure you're not screwing it up. Then throw, seeing if you can get the same motion in the throw. Keep in mind that drills are often intentional exaggerations to break old habits (or ideally, just establish better ones).

2. Throw more. Drill a little, massage it in. Keep throwing.

3. Drill and throw more. Remember that motor habits can take 2-3 weeks to become durable. Don't hop around too much.

4. Do it again & later. Even after you've learned it, you can use it like a "Booster" shot for your form. In my case this has been one of the things that helps protect me from the "aha I got it - dammit I lost it!" thing that happens to so many players.

5. Find a spacing of drills and throwing that lets you rest. The real learning happens after you drill and throw, not during. If you're not used to throwing and working on distance drives, 2-3 days between is often a good pace starting out as your body is adapting. It will continue to adapt over time.

At a certain point drills have become more and more like boosters and reference points for me. The learning path has been slow and difficult, but the flip side is that I have a wide range of learning (and teaching) tools to rely on.

But you do need to throw. A lot. That's why you're here. Throw a lot over time :)

Ok thanks. My issue is, I am just not sure how I am supposed to incorporate it into my form. I can do the drill, it just feels weird doing the X step with it.

Plus, I normally learn and make adjustments very quickly, so once I get the idea, I can run with it.

Just to re-emphasize what Brychanus said: do the drill and post a video of you doing the drill. Can't tell you how many times I was doing it wrong. Your progression will be much faster going this route.

Plus, I normally learn and make adjustments very quickly, so once I get the idea, I can run with it.

The problem with quick adjustments is the tend to have a short lifespan. :) This will take some time even if you pick things up quickly.

Is there a certain view or views I should record myself doing the drill from?

Also, when you say that I should do the throw with the same motion as the drill, is it best to do a standstill/one step throw? Or just go straight into doing the X-Step with it?

Having been around the block a bit now, if you're going the drill approach...

1. Do it. Get it critiqued so you make sure you're not screwing it up. Then throw, seeing if you can get the same motion in the throw. Keep in mind that drills are often intentional exaggerations to break old habits (or ideally, just establish better ones).

When you say this, do you mean that I need to use the drill to throw using the X-step? Or standstill / one step?

When you say this, do you mean that I need to use the drill to throw using the X-step? Or standstill / one step?

I was making a general statement about drills there. I think SW recommended kick the can/ball for X-step like the move exaggerates. One goal of that specific drill is to get the mass moving forward shifting abruptly and legs moving more naturally with the body closed to the target. Very helpful when used correctly.

I posted me doing the drill, and when I try and use it in the x step, I do the hop and plant exactly like the drill and its just weird and awkward.

I posted me doing the drill, and when I try and use it in the x step, I do the hop and plant exactly like the drill and its just weird and awkward.

attachment.php

I think the drill looks a little awkward as well. Notice how SW is balanced at the start and sort of falls into the kick vs you look more upright and initiate the kick with your leg.

The second frame is where he ends up. He is braced on that front leg like you want to be for a swing and all the power from the kick would be transferred to the upper body if he did a swing after the kick.

You're landing like you want to cushion a fall with your leg absorbing all the power from the kick instead of bracing against it.

I think he explains it more in the middle https://youtu.be/wwuSt45Lfp4?t=351

You might try holding a disc and then simulating a kick and after you land do a small swing just to remind your body the point of the drill is the brace not really the kick.

Attachments

• kick.jpg
    kick.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 29
^ good stuff.

KT, also compare your shoulders to his. Should be closed off a little more in the upper body and shoulders should have a little tilt, front shoulder lower than rear shoulder.

Like Bryant is saying it should feel like your whole body is dropping in as a unit from the rear, and your plant leg needs to resist the ground like a pitcher landing rather than cushion you.