• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form Critique..The Journey to more Controlled Distance.

bcastello

Bogey Member
I'm looking to improve my form and like all of us gain more control, distance, and accuracy. Any and all critique/criticism is much appreciated.

You are hugging yourself the whole throw, so there's not much extension. Need to get your elbow out forward and turn your shoulders much further back.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to get to work and study these videos; then work on what you suggested with field work. I'll try to post again after I make some progress with it.

Your advice is already starting to pay off. I've only had a couple of days to work on it but I noticed a big difference when I played a round for league yesterday. Accuracy was greatly improved and I was hitting my intended line on my throws. Distance is more or less the same but I imagine as I get a better grasp of the videos and put them into practice that will come over time.

Form Update

Here is an update of my form. I was really working on turning my shoulders back further. I kinda think I am still hugging myself a bit though. Better/worse/same?

The hugging and shoulder turn has improved, but still releasing the lower arm short and to your right instead of toward the target and extending further. Your swing plane is out of whack as you lean back over your rear leg too far(easier to see from side view), instead of staying more upright balanced and turning further. You have this weird little pump to the sky instead of toward the target because your balance is off.

Thanks again for the feedback. My "pump to the sky" is suppose to be a pre-swing similar to Paul McBeth. I try to emulate his form a lot and picked it up from there. I just did a really bad job of it because of the issues you pointed out. It is pretty funny to watch on film.

Form Check 12/22/14

It's been way too long since I posted a video on my form but here it goes. I have been working on throwing from a standstill basically just trying to start over. I added some slow motion into the video I hope that helps. I'll try to post a rear view video next time.

Thanks again for the feedback/criticism.

It's tough to see what's happening because it gets blurry, but it does seem like you're coming out nose up. Looks like you are doing much better, wise choice of going back to the one step.

It's also hard to tell how much acceleration you're getting, what kind of distance are you getting?

You are starring down and away from the target when you are setting up your shot. That's no good. You then keep your head down and bury your shoulder into the head. Get your head up and forward and rotate your shoulder back under your head, and/or let your shoulder turn your head back. At your plant position you have very little shoulder turn back because your head is in the way.

You want to plant more like this:

Average distances
Putter: 180-200ish
Mid: 240-250ish
Driver: 280-310ish

So that leads me to believe that my initial feeling was correct. You're getting around the track, but you're not really hammering the gas as you come past the apex of the turn to the hit.

The great news, is that you're staying balanced and very controlled. Now you're going to have to start exaggerating the parts of the system that will generate that force at the end.

Drive that elbow out towards the target, hand on the outside and get the wrist cocked down more so that the disc comes out flat.

So that leads me to believe that my initial feeling was correct. You're getting around the track, but you're not really hammering the gas as you come past the apex of the turn to the hit.

The great news, is that you're staying balanced and very controlled. Now you're going to have to start exaggerating the parts of the system that will generate that force at the end.

Drive that elbow out towards the target, hand on the outside and get the wrist cocked down more so that the disc comes out flat.

I'm glad it seems I have got at least something to build upon. I will get to work on your suggestions. I (or my intention) was accelerating from the point the the disc was at my right pec to the finish. However, it sounds like your saying the acceleration is much later than that.

Attachments

• the_hit_accelerate.png
    the_hit_accelerate.png
    116.4 KB · Views: 32
I'm glad it seems I have got at least something to build upon. I will get to work on your suggestions. I (or my intention) was accelerating from the point the the disc was at my right pec to the finish. However, it sounds like your saying the acceleration is much later than that.

no, it does start from the right pec... but I'm not seeing the big jump in acceleration in your video. I'm seeing it speed up some, but it's not the drastic jumping forward that is the sign that you're hitting. Throwing those mids about 350'.

Here's a couple shots from a review, where I'm taking pretty much the same step as you - but you can see the mechanism of the hit sorta leaping the disc forward. I think of a hit as doing all the work for you... almost to the point that I look at footage of myself and it seems like I have a lazy throw, but a teebird will go 400-425' and it really looks like the same motion you're throwing with... I've got a video processing, I'll link it in a second.

You are starring down and away from the target when you are setting up your shot. That's no good. You then keep your head down and bury your shoulder into the head. Get your head up and forward and rotate your shoulder back under your head, and/or let your shoulder turn your head back. At your plant position you have very little shoulder turn back because your head is in the way.
]

Here is a few videos of me attempting to try the suggestions SW was giving me. The first video I tried keeping my head more up and forward. It seemed to feel that way when I was throwing but after looking at the video it didn't look like there was much improvement. For that way, would essentially positioning my head like I was going to hit a golf ball be correct? Or should I be looking even more up?

Head direction much better. First video it does still look like your putter is coming out nose up, second, looks like you're keeping it flatter. If you want to throw the disc higher, that is fine, but change the trajectory of your line, not the nose angle. Higher nose angle is gonna stall out your shots, robbing distance.

http://i.imgur.com/mGUApcR.png

Here's a still comparing you to McBeth right before you get to the right pec position. Look at the position of the back leg, yours is still mostly parallel with your front foot, but McBeth has rotated it roughly 90 degrees, such that his back leg is perpendicular to the front. Your shoulders however, are both mostly facing the same direction. The difference is that you've already spent all of your leverage to get the disc to that position, and McBeth still has all of that leverage available to let the disc explode out from that position.

E1p7Zi5.png

thumb pressure helps me keep the nose down...use that thumb and push it hard against the top of the disk..that will help you keep the nose level in till you get the feel of it.

Here's a still comparing you to McBeth right before you get to the right pec position. Look at the position of the back leg, yours is still mostly parallel with your front foot, but McBeth has rotated it roughly 90 degrees, such that his back leg is perpendicular to the front. Your shoulders however, are both mostly facing the same direction. The difference is that you've already spent all of your leverage to get the disc to that position, and McBeth still has all of that leverage available to let the disc explode out from that position.

E1p7Zi5.png

Great observation! Seeing this side by side tells me I gotta a lot of work to do. I'm up for it though. I'm guessing this could be caused by a out of sequence issue? I'm bringing my upper body thru first instead of my lower body/hip?.

Latest posts