• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form Critique..The Journey to more Controlled Distance.

I'm guessing this could be caused by a out of sequence issue? I'm bringing my upper body thru first instead of my lower body/hip?.

Yeah, that's spot on. Your shoulders are pulling your hips around currently. You need your hips to pull your shoulders around instead.

Trying to write a short blurb about how to accomplish that. Here it goes.

So from the back of your reachback, your shoulders are twisted all the way back. If from that position, you twist your back knee inward, such that it points your leg forward like McBeth's back leg does, your shoulders will follow your hips, without you actively trying to move your shoulders. This will pull your arm around, just because the shoulder is moving. You'll have to guide the disc to your right pec, otherwise the natural tendency from that motion will be to cause your arm to swing out like a windmill. That's basically how you can use your hips to get to the right pec position, with your shoulders still closed, such that you have their power available for the very last bit of your throw.

Note that you'll want your rear foot to be on the ball of your foot when trying to rotate it in, it also needs to be roughly perpendicular to the direction of the throw, otherwise it becomes difficult to get the hip rotation needed.

Here's a still comparing you to McBeth right before you get to the right pec position. Look at the position of the back leg, yours is still mostly parallel with your front foot, but McBeth has rotated it roughly 90 degrees, such that his back leg is perpendicular to the front.

I totally understand where you're coming from on this, but that screen cap of mcBeth is from an x-step drive and the OP is throwing a 1 step. You can't recreate the torsion VERY EASILY in a 1 step as you can w/ a step.

259Krmg.gif

Here's a more reasonable comparison.

Great observation! Seeing this side by side tells me I gotta a lot of work to do. I'm up for it though. I'm guessing this could be caused by a out of sequence issue? I'm bringing my upper body thru first instead of my lower body/hip?.
Your weight/balance/head needs to transfer to the front leg then rotate around the front leg axis. You start rotating before your weight transfer and end up rotating on a more centered axis between your two legs(weight still back). You are also planting very flat footed and turning your hip open, you want to plant on the toes then to the heel like in the weight shift vid.

Your head is still turned back before you start turning your shoulders back, that makes it hard to really windup your core in the backswing. You also collapse or turn your rear knee back during the backswing. The rear leg needs to firm up in the backswing to create and build torque forward.

Form Check 12/29/2014

I honestly don't think I've made much progress, but I'll post the videos from my practice session anyways.

Somewhat better. You land very flat footed and slightly open/balance on your heel, you want to land more on your front toes/big toe/instep first turned further back and then drop the heel forward toward the target like you are crushing a can from behind you like in the best weight shift vid in post #10. You are also losing torque on the rear foot as your rear heel spins out and away from the target behind your toes, the rear heel needs to lead the toes forward to the target and behind your front leg, watch Paul McBeth's rear foot during the throw the rear heel is well ahead of the toes.

Not quite. You need to drop to the heel without turning the front foot/knee. You are getting too far over a braced posture before all your weight shifts to the inside of your brace. Keep your knee/weight to the inside of your foot like a skier in a turn maintaining dynamic balance and posture.

Definitely want to make sure I got this down right so I've taken a shot at trying to describe what I think is going on when you plant then brace. Would this be the correct line of sequencing?

1) Front foot starts to plant big toe/instep first.
2) Heel drops and lands on the instep of the heel
3) Weight begins to shift forward, which pushes your pinky toe/outstep side of your foot to the ground
4) Hip rises up and forward like Feldberg video as you brace against your plant foot

1 and 2 your weight is shifting during this process. 3 is all wrong, stay to the inside edge of your foot like a skier, you don't want to lose the pressure from the inside edge. If a skier gets to the outside edge on the front ski they are toast and like the skier you too but probably not as bad.

Too add to SW's input here:

1) Front foot starts to plant big toe/instep first.

YES.

2) Heel drops and lands on the instep of the heel

YES.

3) Weight begins to shift forward, which pushes your pinky toe/outstep side of your foot to the ground

This is wrong. This is exactly what I was trying to show with this post: http://www.heavydisc.com/2015/01/instep-and-hips.html

Instep to instep.

4) Hip rises up and forward like Feldberg video as you brace against your plant foot

IMO, that's not a good idea. The Feldy thing is really about shifting your hips forward with your BACK foot driving the leading hip up and forward into the plant.

It may touch the ground, but you're not weighting the outside of the foot. You can weight the instep with the outstep down, but the pressure is on the inside.

Rolling to the outside will stress the ankle bones and tendons and lead to injury.

Watch your hips move with relation to the cursor, versus what this softball lady is doing.

hVRMzBN.gif

GSlDTYx.gif

Spot the difference? She's moving her hips BACK and then FORWARD.

You are moving forward only.

Shifting weight is more than just shifting it forward. If you want to swing a sledge hammer, would you only shift weight forward or would you shift back and then forward? Use those hips.

Watch your hips move with relation to the cursor, versus what this softball lady is doing.

hVRMzBN.gif

GSlDTYx.gif

Spot the difference? She's moving her hips BACK and then FORWARD.

You are moving forward only.

Shifting weight is more than just shifting it forward. If you want to swing a sledge hammer, would you only shift weight forward or would you shift back and then forward? Use those hips.
That is a great video, really shows the squeeze between the knees/internal hip rotation and using the insides of the feet well.

Only thing is you don't need to move back that far, it's all about how you load into or against the rear hip/leg/foot.

OP, still same issues. Stop starring at the ground with your head down in the backswing. You aren't turning your shoulders back nearly far enough, get your shoulder under your chin. You also need to firm up the rear leg in the backswing and turn your core into it more.

This should help sequencing and firming up your backswing and making the disc more heavy, do this one-handed:

Latest posts