• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form Critique

Timhawk33

Thanks in advance for everyone's help. I've been playing for about 2.5 months and I'm ready to have my form critiqued. I'm throwing some aviars, cobra, roc3, and leopard. After a month I was plataued at around 200' of distance. It didn't really matter what I threw, They all went right around 200'.

After looking through many threads of distance form, I've narrowed my focus to a couple of things: 1. leading with my elbow and keeping pull close to chest. 2. hold onto disc until "hit point."

Those are what I've been focusing on for the past couple days. It seems I've added at least 50' to the leopard/roc3/cobra while the putters are still maxing out at just over 200'.

This was my first video, I plan on adding more this weekend when I get some help getting multiple angles.

All I see is your weight is far back. you are not far enough forward. Sidewinder22 will surely be much more help. at 2.5 months you are doing better than I did at 2.5 years :)

Doesn't look bad! Just your timing is a little off. And make sure you pull straight through.

I wouldn't say your weight is too far back but you're not shifting it.

Wow, very nice for 2.5 months. Looks good except that your plant foot lands almost completely open. if you close that plant foot, you will not lose the built up energy.

I'll add that you are not turning shoulders away from target enough on reachback. And you are reaching back around your body (with your elbow bent) instead of away from body and your target. The weight shift in the slo mo actually looks pretty good especially for the amount of time you've been playing.

Your left leg might also be a bit too far behind you (closed)? Can someone else confirm if this is correct?

We will work on our form this weekend! :hfive:

Yeah, not bad for 2 months. Need to turn your front side, back further when you plant so your shoulders have a bigger shoulder turn. Also need to get the elbow further forward before extending it.

Thanks everyone,

It seems like the things i'll work on first will be a reaching back further utilizing more rotation in shoulders and hips. This will help me to stay closed on pull through which will let me use more of my power in my lower body.

Coming from a baseball background my lack of power was usually attributed to a poor shift of weight also. Thankfully I was RH hitter and I am able to start from scratch for my disc golf form.

Again I appreciate everyone's help. I will most likely post another video this weekend to see if I'm able to correct some of the things you guys are suggesting.

Not an expert here but it looks like your whole arm is too tense the way I used to have mine. On the other site there was a non disc throwing tip where you stand up straight with arms at your side, feet at shoulder width and remain very relaxed. Start turning your hips back and forth and notice how your arms start to fly without the use of any muscles in them. This helped me get the feel of how to relax my arms and use my hips more to increase arm speed and distance greatly. That arm should be a whip and the hips / lower body should be the driving force that snaps the whip without having to use as much arm muscle as you are using now.

Appreciate the reply, ljerome.

I'd say you are definitely on to something. When I do have strong throws it feels like my arm isn't doing much. These throws are with my leopard and they go around 275'-300' on flat ground.

I want to believe that if I couple the whip like motion with a quick snap of arm at release that I will get the full 325'-350' that people say the leopard will go.

I guess I'm curious if you think the arm stays completely relaxed through the entire throw and more hips and shoulders is next step? or if a well timed, efficient use of arm is that next step.

It's too bad the other site is not still up. They had tons of great info and I am sure there is more on this site but I have only been reading the equipment forums lately. I do not want to overstep my bounds as I seriously doubt I should be handing out critiques. I would say that I can not keep my arm completely relaxed through the whole stroke but the better I do at it, the better the outcome. I just know that if I turn my hips back and relax my arm, I can feel the whip start at the reach back. IMO, your weight transfer forward and follow through looks really good. Your relaxation on the reach back and full load does not look as complete. For me, working on one thing at a time helped. I worked on arm relaxation for a while, then hip turn and then shoulder turn to bring it all together for the load portion of the stroke. When I tried working on all these things and more at one time, nothing really improved as well as it should have. Finally, when you watch all the videos of the pros, you will see a sort of wiggle in the reach back many times as they are relaxing the arm before the hip turn and pull. You can not see it too well in slow motion, it is better at full speed. Good luck and keep posting videos.

Latest posts