• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fossa Backpack

I guess I don't understand why Fossa is getting a "pass" on this, but other companies are raked over the coals for the slightest mistakes? Just seems that the Internet Disc Golf community has an insane set of double standards.

Either way, I got my tracking number a little past midnight last night/this morning. Says it should arrive on Saturday. I wouldn't be such a little bitch about all this nonsense if I was getting this bag for me, but I'm not. This was supposed to be for my daughter, but she's already played the two tournaments this year that she was going to use it for.

But enough sob story crap. Point is: the goods are on the way, Fossa corrected the mistake (at their expense, which leads me to believe they will probably lose money on this initial run of bags) and bags should be in users' hands today.

I don't mean to give them any sort of pass. I totally get where your coming from; that sucks you haven't had it for your daughter. :gross:

I'm personally not railing on them, because it was a kickstarter, so i'd expect things to be a little shaky. As far as I understood the shipping delay happened when the bags were on their way from the manufacturer to them.

This is also a potential for my FIRST big bag purchase. the only bag I've owned is the $30.00 Magellan, so I do not have any experience with any of the bag companies.

Can't wait to hear some feedback on how your daughter likes her bag though. I'm curious to how well it stands up on its own and, how durable the material is compared to a grip or lat 64 bag.

The material, from the specs On their Kickstarter, are on par with anything else out there. It's cheap in price, but not in quality. I've seen the other Fossa bags and they are all high quality stuff. Especially the seam stitching. Can't speak for the Tana, but the Zippers on the Roa look like they could withstand a nuclear blast.

Fossa makes quality stuff. I just up whoever sewed these for them takes responsibility for the shipping **** up. I'd be nice if Fossa admitted some fault (they chose the maunfacturer, after all) but they did do the right thing and are out a lot of oney because of it.

One of my buddies (who lives in the same town as I do) said he should be getting his today or tomorrow, and I'll get mine on Saturday. Reviews should be coming up pretty quick.

Got my fossa today... And let me say... First impression is... Wow... For $100 this is right on par with bags costing twice as much... Now how it holds up to daily use, we will see, but one thing is for sure, it has quite a bit more storage the the Ranger bag I was able to switch everything I keep in my Ranger into the fossa with pockets and pockets to spare not to mention a solid 4 more discs can fit comfortably then the Ranger maybe 5 depending on mix of mids putters and drivers.
Shoulder straps are beefy.. The webbing used is definitely a step below the webbing ogio used on the Ranger but most webbing holds up decent long as it doesn't get sliced.
Have not got it wet yet but if it needs a can of water proofing spray nbd. The cheesy fox is hidden away as soon as play starts so no big deal there.
Zippers are nice, seem robust.
One thing someone can chime in on is the reason for the extra straps on the front and back, I assume to strap it to a cart but I am not sure.

From one of the review videos the Velcro straps along the middle in the back are for a cart. If you're talking about the Velcro on the front along the bottom, those are for an umbrella.

Now my questions for you. How does it ride on your back? Where is the most pressure on your back and does it line up with where the most padding is? In the videos it looks shorter than the Ranger, is that accurate or is it about the same size? I can't see how it can hold so much more without at least being a similar size.

It is much fatter then the Ranger, it sits higher up on my back then the Ranger due to being shorter and fatter, padding is brand new, seems more cushy then the Ranger, but my Ranger is a year old so I can't remember when it was new. The straps are much wider then the Ranger. The Ranger has 3 pockets, one big and two small. The fossa has seven three on one side, two on top and two on the other side. One of the top pockets is close to the same space in the Ranger top pocket. I'm playing a round early tomorrow with the fossa so I'll have more feedback then.

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks for the info. With it sitting higher, I would imagine it will be more comfortable throughout the day.

This bag is the bees knees for my daughter. We were able to load it up and adjust it so it's nice and comfortable for her (she's 10 years old.)

For me, however, I could not get this thing to sit right. Its not made for broad shouldered people, that's for sure. The construction of the bag looks solid, and the Fossa logo (it's a lemur, I think? Or is Fossa a type of animal?) Is clean and sharp looking. Oddly, the two drink holders are vastly different in size, but one of them is fully insulated and that is an a amazing touch that I don't recall reading about before. The top storage is robust and doesn't sag into the main compartment.

The Tana doesn't like to tip, either. Even being top heavy (where most of the storage is) the squat and compact design keeps it from rolling on fal or slightly incline ground. Waterproofer would be a great idea, as there is no rainfly (one cdould easily be rigged up.)

The included dividers are a little strange and we elected not to use them. They are solidly constructed as well, with really good hook and pile fastening throughout.

All in all, not the best bag out there, but it seriously blows away the competion when comparing price to value. I don't know why anyone would bother with a Magellan or Salient when these are on the market.

This bag is the bees knees for my daughter. We were able to load it up and adjust it so it's nice and comfortable for her (she's 10 years old.)

For me, however, I could not get this thing to sit right. Its not made for broad shouldered people, that's for sure. The construction of the bag looks solid, and the Fossa logo (it's a lemur, I think? Or is Fossa a type of animal?) Is clean and sharp looking. Oddly, the two drink holders are vastly different in size, but one of them is fully insulated and that is an a amazing touch that I don't recall reading about before. The top storage is robust and doesn't sag into the main compartment.

The Tana doesn't like to tip, either. Even being top heavy (where most of the storage is) the squat and compact design keeps it from rolling on fal or slightly incline ground. Waterproofer would be a great idea, as there is no rainfly (one cdould easily be rigged up.)

The included dividers are a little strange and we elected not to use them. They are solidly constructed as well, with really good hook and pile fastening throughout.

All in all, not the best bag out there, but it seriously blows away the competion when comparing price to value. I don't know why anyone would bother with a Magellan or Salient when these are on the market.

Good to hear. I think that solidifies my decision to stick with this. I don't have broad shoulders, so no worries there.

The Fossa is a type of animal. Kind of a mix between a lemur and a cat I guess.

Little post round feedback... The discs on the extreme ends are difficult to extract and put back, so if you like a certain order this will be tough to keep, bag rides nice and high on my hips, making it very comfortable, slightly more so then my Ranger due to the straps being a little wider. Top pocket is great, the top shelf is awesome as well, stuck my berg there as I grab it at least once on every hole, easy in easy out. I will say the bag liked to fall on its back on hills, the Ranger did the same thing though, on flat ground it sits just fine. I will be getting a can of waterproofing spray, it held up to a light sprinkle but I figure it can't hurt, either that or rig up a rain fly.

Fossas are related to the mongoose. The interesting thing is they look so much like cats that are mistaken as part of the feliade family.

Anyways I have broad shoulders on a 6 foot frame would it be uncomfortable to carry?

Compared to similarly priced bags, no competition, compared to a Ranger it sits a little higher, I'll put on a flat 4, ergo2, ergo3, rebel, and a grip at doubles next week and personally compare to get more feedback.

Well at $100, I wasn't expecting top of the line but it sounds like it's still pretty good. I'm picking mine up today and I can't wait to actually have a legitimate bag for once.

Compared to similarly priced bags, no competition, compared to a Ranger it sits a little higher, I'll put on a flat 4, ergo2, ergo3, rebel, and a grip at doubles next week and personally compare to get more feedback.

So I have been debating on getting this bag or an Upper Park Rebel later this year. Can't wait to hear about your comparison.

Had a buddy pre-order one 4 months ago, at the same price they are retailing for now, and he didn't get his bag until several days AFTER retailers had began posting them for sale. Not to mention pre-orders were told the bag would arrive in April/May and it just showed up this week.

Not to mention pre-orders were told the bag would arrive in April/May and it just showed up this week.

If you followed anything that went on here, the bags were held up for a week because they got confiscated and all the boxes had to be opened. Plus, it's June 3rd today, that's pretty darn close to May if you ask me.

If you followed anything that went on here, the bags were held up for a week because they got confiscated and all the boxes had to be opened. Plus, it's June 3rd today, that's pretty darn close to May if you ask me.

So the bags only got held up if you followed anything on here? That doesn't make much sense. June 3rd is not April or May, and I didn't ask you.

In regards to why they were late, I literally could not care less. If they wouldn't have waited to the last week of a 9 week window they would have gotten them delivered in time even with a one week hold up.

Now, in regards to my actual complaint, why did retailers have bags for sale before pre-orders received theirs? Help me understand, since you seem to spend a lot of time here.

So the bags only got held up if you followed anything on here? That doesn't make much sense. June 3rd is not April or May, and I didn't ask you.

In regards to why they were late, I literally could not care less. If they wouldn't have waited to the last week of a 9 week window they would have gotten them delivered in time even with a one week hold up.

Now, in regards to my actual complaint, why did retailers have bags for sale before pre-orders received theirs? Help me understand, since you seem to spend a lot of time here.

A pre order didn't guarantee you get the bag first. Those retailers ALSO pre ordered. Pre order just meant, you were guaranteed a bag at all.

Because I'm sure once they actually got the bags in-house, the first thing they did was pack and ship all the large-quantity preorders for retailers.

It would be easier to clear out large orders first, and focus on individual shipping boxes second. You suddenly have your entire stock crowding your workspace; why wouldn't you get 60-70% of that out of the way in a half dozen shipments as opposed to filling single boxes for 2 days.

It also gets the bulk of stock out and ready to sell. Individual presales are already paid for, so it makes more business sense to get the unsold stock to retailers first.

Presale gave a good estimated date of delivery, not a guarantee. An extra 48-72 hours needed to ship individual presales is not that big of a deal. And their delay was still far, far less than most bag delays have been. But delays are common and that should be apparent to anyone who ppreorders an overseas product.

The vast majority of our retail products come from guys who started an idea in their living rooms. Fossa isn't Nike. They do the best they can with the resources they have. A degree of patience is usually required. Hell, if Hyzerbomb can thrive after delaying the Flak 3 almost a year, I think these guys should be OK.

So I have been debating on getting this bag or an Upper Park Rebel later this year. Can't wait to hear about your comparison.

These two bags ride completely different on your back and are different animals all together. I carry both in my disc golf store and love them both for different reasons. The Tana is coming in at a fantastic price point and carries a large amount of stuff comparable to, if not more than, the Rebel bag. I'm a bit taller at 6'3" and the bottom of the Tana bag rides about half way up my back and for me feels a bit too small. On the other hand the bottom of the Rebel bag sits in the lower part of my back, which again for me, feels more comfortable. Again I think they are both great bags but I just don't think they really compare well to one another.