• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Franklin Park Purcellville, VA

thanxmikey

Bogey Member
I spoke with the park manager last week while out at the course and he said that they will begin installing tee boxes this week. They will be installing 2'x3' concrete tee pads. :clap:

He also mentioned the course has been very well received from the public and from within county staff as well.

I'm glad you posted. I didn't know that course existed. Looks pretty decent and worth a little road trip from Alexandria.

Yes it is worth the trip. The park itself is immaculate. I woul dnot be surprised if they put another 18 in here in the not so distant future;)

ps hit me up if you ever come out. we play there often if you want to get out with our disc group.

I spoke with the park manager last week while out at the course and he said that they will begin installing tee boxes this week. They will be installing 2'x3' concrete tee pads. :clap:

He also mentioned the course has been very well received from the public and from within county staff as well.

ummm.... 2'x3'????

Yes it is worth the trip. The park itself is immaculate. I woul dnot be surprised if they put another 18 in here in the not so distant future;)

ps hit me up if you ever come out. we play there often if you want to get out with our disc group.

i don't think there is space for a second course- most of the undeveloped area is "natural area" at this point.

john, i was just wishing. i really enjoy that park and any reason to be out there is a great thing.

I agree with both the previous questions about the 2'x3' precast concrete pad size. Perhaps I misheard him, but I am pretty certain that is what the park manager stated last week. I know space was an issue.

Hopefully, this week will be nice and they can start install and we can get an on the ground confirmation.

http://www.discgolfassoc.com/installation/tee-pad-install.html

it does say 4'x8' is smallest for rec course.

Last edited:
am i crazy to say 2x3' teepads would be a waste of money? If that size is the confirmed design somebody's gotta halt the operation!

am i crazy to say 2x3' teepads would be a waste of money? If that size is the confirmed design somebody's gotta halt the operation!

I'd have to agree. 2x3 might be great if we were gnomes. Otherwise, it seems kind of pointless. Still looking forward to getting out there, though.

hopefully the recommendations by the course designer were respected and it was just my deaf ears that heard 2x3. I am going to send him an email today to confirm what they are doing. This is gnawing at me now....:wall:

okay i checked my county email here and the message from Dan absolutely says they ordered 2'x3' concrete tee pads. That really is small. I got a measure tape this am and my jaw dropped.

if they use six per tee location ...

... you'd have 4'x9', which is close to Biscoe's minimum recommendation! :\

Education is needed, I do believe....

If the proposed 2' x 3' tee pads are not adequate according to standard recommendations (and the course designer) than I humbly suggest that perhaps a polite email to the park manager might be in order.

I do not know anything about designing courses or standards but do know that Dan the park manager is a great guy and wants to make this a great course!

Me thinks that perhaps Dan needs to be edumicated about how to make the course the best it can be!

Just my 0.02 :D

If the proposed 2' x 3' tee pads are not adequate according to standard recommendations (and the course designer) than I humbly suggest that perhaps a polite email to the park manager might be in order.

I do not know anything about designing courses or standards but do know that Dan the park manager is a great guy and wants to make this a great course!

Me thinks that perhaps Dan needs to be edumicated about how to make the course the best it can be!

Just my 0.02 :D

I sent him an email this am with a link to dga website for minimum tee pad requirements. You are correct Cacova, Dan is a good guy and really is into the course.

I just sent a nice email to Dan McNeil as well. First, to thank him for bringing disc golf to Loudoun County, and second, to reinforce that the PDGA's recommended dimensions for tee pads is 5' x 12'.

Let's hope for the best!

Great news at Franklin!!!

THREE concretetee pads (12'x5') will be installed at each hole at the course as well as an extra pin placement location. Four of the holes are being moved to make them longer and more challenging. They are going to try and start installing this week.

When I spoke to the park manager he said that a positive outpouring from disc golfers helped him to make this decision. Good job discers!!!

:thmbup:

the park manager reconsidered after learning more about pdga requirements and hearing feedback from many disc golfers. they decided to mix their own concrete on site and that helped them save a ton. although it will take a little longer to complete. three tee pads per hole.

Latest posts