• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

FREE VINYL!!!!

I was thinking about that. It might work better with the smaller teeth so it's worth a shot. Unfortunately I don't have access to one. Like I said above my Dad used a porta band on my first roll and he had a tough time but he didn't have anything to clamp it down with. When he cut it the vinyl moved a lot and so I have some pretty crooked edges but it still works just the same. Using a standard band saw will give you both hands to secure the vinyl which would probably make it a easier though.

Got mine today, jeez thats a lot of vinyl.

I need more discs! and more Ap tape, more colors, and a plotter, and...
You know who's responsible.
Thanks guys :D

Man was I disappointed when my little 5' roll of Oracal 651 was used up and I got to start using this. I got the Scotchcal IJ46-20 and IJ63-20. Works OK for simple stuff but unforgiving in the hands of rookie!

called me back first working day later, should receive my samples before the end of the week!

thanks gents cant wait to show you my first dyes :D

called me back first working day later, should receive my samples before the end of the week!

thanks gents cant wait to show you my first dyes :D

Yup, thats what i was told... but im now going on 2.5 weeks, they keep sending me color reference guides, and pamphlets, but no samples yet... im on the phone currently and getting transfered back and forth, here and there. MAN, a lotta work for some samples, but hey, they are free :thmbup:

IMG01626-20110308-1339.jpg

for xJFK

i think that's what it's supposed to be. it was a fun one, had some plotting and some hand cutting.

edit: oops, i JUST realized i didn't post this in the dye a day thread :wall:

We (my son and I) just finished dyeing our first disc with the free Controltac vinyl and it was a total disaster. After the first dip (black), he weeded for the next dip (gray) and we could tell there was adhesive on the disc but we didn't think we should try anything yet as far as removing it. So we dipped the gray and it came out all blotchy, where the dye didn't get to the disc 'cause of the adhesive. The third color (red) was the same, all blotchy. After we let the disc sit a while, we used Goo Gone to remove the adhesive, but it still needed to be scrubbed to come off and the color came with it. The dye was only on the adhesive. Do we need to dye at a lower temp to keep the adhesive from coming off the vinyl and going to the disc? We dyed at 120 or less. :( :thmbdown: :wall:

I used soap and water to get adhesive off (with contac paper). Got my free roll of ij63-20 (wasnt sure WHAT type to get) this was labeled as translucent changeable sample roll but came as white... Looks to be decent, and cant wait to try it even though no plotter here (yet!)

Koggs, after applying the 3m vinyl use a hair drier over the disc after weeding. This will help with the bleeding underneath the adhesive causing those tiny tiny lines. After your black dip, submerg the disc in hot water to weed out the next color. This really helps with the amount of residue left behind. Then dab with a paper towel and let dry, do not wipe because it could lift up corners of your masked areas. Next, use Goo gone and a cotton ball to remove any remaining residue. Let the Goo gone sit a few min to work its magic before cleaning off. That should help ya out.

Koggs, after applying the 3m vinyl use a hair drier over the disc after weeding. This will help with the bleeding underneath the adhesive causing those tiny tiny lines. After your black dip, submerg the disc in hot water to weed out the next color. This really helps with the amount of residue left behind. Then dab with a paper towel and let dry, do not wipe because it could lift up corners of your masked areas. Next, use Goo gone and a cotton ball to remove any remaining residue. Let the Goo gone sit a few min to work its magic before cleaning off. That should help ya out.

Thanks for the tips. I've used that vinyl 2 or 3 times since then with no problems with residue left behind and since then, we've gotten our other roll in (Scotchcal) and that's working well, also.