• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Frog Rock Park - Austell, GA

jdawg24

Par Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I'm designing a new 9-hole course for the city of Austell just west of Atlanta (25 min drive from downtown ATL). The course will have 2 sets of teepads and 3 pin positions per hole. If well received they will likely add another 9 holes; there is plenty of land in the park, it just needs to be cleared.

The course is on a beautiful piece of land that was a ball golf course 50+ years ago, but now is a mix of grass and trees with absolutely no undergrowth. This should be a solid course based on the fantastic piece of land. It will play par 31 and ~3,700' from the long tees.

Initial design completed today, here are photos (pre-tree removal): http://imgur.com/a/qNvAG

The course should be happening very soon; it's already fully funded and just needs fairway trees removed, teepads and baskets. I expect it will be fully installed this summer. I'll post updates here.

Update on Austell: All of the trees (50-70 trees) have been cut by the city, and all should be removed by the end of the week. I've never seen government move this fast ... saying they are eager is an understatement. We tested the course out last weekend, but it was still quite rough as many of the trees had been knocked over but not yet removed.

We'll be testing the course again this weekend on Sunday, time TBD but likely in the afternoon. We will setup and play 2 rounds of 9 holes so I can record/analyze the scores. Come check it out if you're in the area.

The course will be awesome once complete. The land is shady, mostly flat and schule free -- and the county is receptive to cutting trees and creating valid fairways.

Any updates???

I'm going to be in Austell, GA next weekend and was wondering if the course is ready to play???

There's supposed to be a grand opening this spring, but dates have not been announced. It's pretty well marked with wood stakes at front/back of teepads and at pin placements. Teepads have possibly already been installed but I haven't been out to check since we staked it 4 weeks ago.

Thanks for the replies!!

My boys and I may have to hit up another course in that area. Frog Park is just down from my Aunt's house so that's why I was hoping it was ready.

Teepads are finally under construction with baskets to follow soon. There will be a big grand opening celebration this spring, date TBD.

For the time being, the teepads will be compacted gravel with 6"x6" wood frames. They should be nice at 12' long, 6' in the back and 4' in the front. They promise to finely sift the gravel and possibly upgrade to concrete in the future. Also, they are already talking about adding 9 more holes.

This is the short tee for hole 2:
ECCnSW1.jpg

I don't know why I just saw this, but I am excited! A change of scenery is always nice!

They have been working

Parks Dept has been working out at this park recently...

frogrock2_zpsa274f1e7.jpg

New bridges on hole #1

Volunteers needed?

If there is any need of some free labor to help get the course together, I just wanted to throw my name in that hypothetical hat (just anxious to see the course come together)

Playable soon, but they don't have an exact date yet. The parks dept has decided to pull out the gravel pads and replace with concrete!

So far, no need for volunteer labor, everything is being done by the city.

They aren't in yet, although I think they have already arrived. Once the pads are done I'll run some action with temp baskets to test out all of the pin positions before giving them green light to install them. I'd say it's possible they will be in a few weeks, but just depends on the city.

I walked through the park a week ago or so. It's a brand new park (the parking lot isn't finished yet and no park sign). There were workers there cutting brush/trees and burning. Gravel tees were in and flags were in the ground for basket locations.

It's flat and sparsely populated by pines with a walking trail around the park. Looks like it will be a fun park when it is finished. Keep the updates coming!

Note: do not drive in on the "one way road" to look for a parking lot or to check the park out. Turns out it's a walking trail and really grumpy city workers will come and speak to you condescendingly.