• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Frustrated

I based this exercise on jhern and that unnamed illustrator's posts. :) It helps you get the feeling for using your arm as a whip as opposed to it being the sole contributor to hand speed.

First I turn myself at the torso like I'm about to throw. (Think reachback without moving your arm yet.) My shoulder blades are near perpendicular to my hip I completely relax my throwing arm and start swinging it back and forth like a pendulum along the same line as my hips. (Jhern mentioned to think of your upper arm as being made of rope.) I swing my arm all the way back and forth in a half circle. When I'm ready I wait for my arm to swing up to the throwing position parallel to the ground. Once it reaches its apex I start swinging my torso. First from the hips and then the belly. My limp arm just naturally follows along for the ride. I can tell just from the "whoosh" my arm makes that it's flinging much faster than my normal throw.

You may never see me do this again but I'm going to give you a link to a great thread on this really stupid site full of jerks. I hate myself for doing this but read jhern's posts. He explains it very well. Then this other guy draws some pictures. It works.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16139

That's the good stuff.

Usually when people try to help me with my drives, they stand there and say, "use your body more", but can't ever tell me how. I read this yesterday at work, and stood there looking like an idiot in my cube at breaktime making my arms whip around. Tried it in my game after work, and by the end of the round I'd added 50 feet to my average drive. Still not where I want them, but a huge improvement.

Thanks for the thread, the link, and to those that posted in the linked thread. Best advice I've got since I was introduced to the sport.

That's the good stuff.

Usually when people try to help me with my drives, they stand there and say, "use your body more", but can't ever tell me how. I read this yesterday at work, and stood there looking like an idiot in my cube at breaktime making my arms whip around. Tried it in my game after work, and by the end of the round I'd added 50 feet to my average drive. Still not where I want them, but a huge improvement.

Thanks for the thread, the link, and to those that posted in the linked thread. Best advice I've got since I was introduced to the sport.
I agree. I've gone through the Beato videos. They're great at breaking down the motion but didn't illustrate, for me, the feeling of the "whip".

I never felt the whip until Brasky had me go through the motions in a pool. Sure people looked at me crazy as I was spinning around in the lap pool wearing a bikini, but I'll be damned if it didn't work.