• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

GD's bag

GratefulDisc

Eagle Member
It's been a while since I posted my bag. I've tried out some new discs and now I have a few overlaps in the bag that I need to decide between. Advice needed.

1. Stable Control Drivers

Champ leopard
Champ teebird

I think I'm going to drop the teebird. I never throw it and really like the leopard. I may pick up a new star leopard for a little more stability

2. Distance Drivers

Champ Orc
Star Wraith

I love my orc. I bought a wraith to try out, lost the orc, started using the wraith to replace it. I really started to like the wraith, then my orc came back to me. Now I don't know what to do. :roll:

3. Understable Driver

New star Roadrunner
Beat star Roadrunner
BEAT champ valk

Loving the RRs. think I'm gonna drop the valk

4. Moderately Overstable Driver

champ teebird?

I may replace this with a new star leopard. I know its not really overstable but...

5. Very Overstable Driver

Champ Banshee

I like the banshee

Mids:

New Dx Roc
Not so new DX roc
Beat KC roc
slightly beat super roc.

I can't figure out where the super roc fits in. I may leave it in my trunk as a backup

Putters:

New JK aviar
Beat JK aviar

Happy with putters

I'd go

Stable- Leo

Mod OS- Teebizzle

US- I like the RR or beat in a Leo if you're in to the whole brevity thing. I was never really into the valks except 4th run CE for rolling.

OS-Banshee

Distance- Orc or Valk, but see my opinion in the US catagory

Mids- the rocs you have listed, and yes, toss the Super Roc in the trunk or the lake

Putters- AviarX

Now youve got yourself a mighty fine bag :D

I played in my firsttourney yesterday and I think I have made some decisions.

Two rounds and I didn't throw the valk once, so I'm taking it out. Any shot I would have used it for, my beat roadrunner did the job.

I used the wraith for distance exclusively and only took out the orc for one thumber. I was clearing OB with ease that I struggled with my orc. Maybe the disc, maybe improved form. but I like how the wraith feels in hand. I think I'm going to drop the orc altogether and use the banshee for overhand.

I found a couple new uses for the teebird. Not really a go-to disc for me, but I threw a nice get-out-of-trouble flick from 300 feet out that got me close enough to putt.

Making my bag:

Stable control driver: champ leopard

Mod overstable driver: champ tee-bird

Very overstable driver: champ banshee

Understable driver: new star roadrunner/ beat star roadrunner

Distance driver: star wraith

Mids: rocs

Putters: jk aviar-x's

what do ya think?

Wow - nice and simple with just enough differences to learn them all and make them work for most, if not all the shots you'll need. I like it!

If you have the arm for the Wraith, I think you'll benefit from something faster for your moderately overstable driver. Keep the Teebird if you're using a Leopard for your control driver, though. You'll want at least one disc that has a good, predictable fade in that slot.

gratefuldisc said:
garublador said:
I think you'll benefit from something faster for your moderately overstable driver.

Any suggestions? I tried a champ starfire and didn't really like it. Maybe Star Teerex?

I'd throw what you have and see if you have any holes. Don't forget, you can increase stability by going up in weight as well. This will work for some shots - i.e. you can have 2-3 wraiths that will handle various speed throws and wind.

I'm not sure how far you're throwing, but for me, I have just a newer disc of my distance driver for my moderately overstable driver (for me a crush). When it's too beat, I'll buy another.

What I'm finding is that I throw better with discs that I enjoy throwing and get good results from fairly consistently. I can throw a wraith, surge, destroyer, crush, etc. and not suffer terribly from throw to throw, but I like the wraiths and there really isn't a need to have them all, so I just have different weights and stages of wear in a few wraiths. Works well. I know this is a recommended strategy, but the point is that I *like* throwing the wraith (for whatever reason) I get no thrill with the surge at this time, so I just leave it at home. find a disc that just "does it" for you right now and play with them.

gratefuldisc said:
garublador said:
I think you'll benefit from something faster for your moderately overstable driver.

Any suggestions? I tried a champ starfire and didn't really like it. Maybe Star Teerex?
What didn't you like about the Starfire?

I honestly haven't tried many of the really fast discs. The Starfire-X, Z Avenger and SOLF are the only ones I've tried that fit in this category and have liked them all. However, I'd assume that if you like the Wraith then the Teerex might be a good choice but that's just speculation.

Teebirds are fine for stability in the wind but they don't penetrate as well as faster discs. Sometimes you really want that extra penetration without haivng to throw something really overstable. Basically you're looking for max distance in a moderate headwind. Discs that do that also work well for longer hyzers, too.

Making my bag:

This is a good bag. IS the banshee a meat hook for you? I prefer the pro wraith to the star (better glide) If it was my bag I would use star wratih and a worn in pro wraith for the distance spot, but then again I don't like wraiths

gratefuldisc said:
Making my bag:

what do ya think?

I would actually drop the Leopard, pick up a DX Teebird, and beat it in. Leopards always seem appealing at first, until you start to really break them in and they just get too squirrely for me.

Leopard is a good disc. You just have to throw it smooth. I think it compliments the teebird nicely. It will get flippy on you after a while, but makes a great 50% power disc or big hyzer flip disc.

Furthur said:
Leopard is a good disc. You just have to throw it smooth. I think it compliments the teebird nicely. It will get flippy on you after a while, but makes a great 50% power disc or big hyzer flip disc.

Totally agree here and I don't understand why the Leo is always regarded negatively. I understand that it may not be the best disc to learn with because it goes so straight and one should be aiming to the right(RHBH) and letting the disc work back to the basket. But... I know that and sometimes I need to throw 300' lower than my roc will allow and straight, enter the Leo. I love throwing hyzer flips, throwing at 60%, and Leo's.

I just got some of the old Proline candy Leo's in a deal on here and they are super nasty.

I'm actually thinking I'm going to make my control driver/workhorse driver Leopards and Eagle-x's.

black udder said:
Don't forget, you can increase stability by going up in weight as well. This will work for some shots - i.e. you can have 2-3 wraiths that will handle various speed throws and wind.

I'm not sure how far you're throwing, but for me, I have just a newer disc of my distance driver for my moderately overstable driver (for me a crush). When it's too beat, I'll buy another.

My wraith is a new star 169. All my dirvers are right around 170, thats what I'm comfortable with.

I have been flipping it up from a slight hyzer with good results. I find myself looking forward to a little headwind, making it easier to flip up, and put on a little more hyzer, and definatly getting more distance. I think this will make the wraith even better for me as it wears for no wind/ tailwind distance, and I guess a newer maybe a little heavier wraith may fill that wind slot.

I can consistently put it out around 350 if I get the nose down. and can get in the 375-400 range with the right headwind and a perfect throw.

grabulador said:
What didn't you like about the Starfire?

Maybe I got a bad one but, it was very similar to my orc but less predictable. put anhyzer on it and it was gone and not coming back. I tried to tune it more stable but still don't like it. I don't have a lot of experience tuning, but now that I did, I don't really have a good idea as to what a starfire IS exactly, besides what I had before.

mullen said:
IS the banshee a meat hook for you?

Yeah, pretty much. I use it for spike hyzers and if I want to throw a flex shot into the wind and know it will come back.

P.S. Congrats on the win!

Made some changes and thinking about others. trying out some millenium.

1. Stable Control Drivers

Champ leopard 170
Champ teebird 170

throwing the teebird more and the loepard less. I have been throwing my RRs in place of the leopard

2. Distance Drivers

Star Wraith 169
Star Wraith 168 tuned understable

I dropped the orc, liking the wraiths. 168 for no wind, 169 for a little headwind.

3. Understable Driver

New star Roadrunner 170
Beat star Roadrunner 170

Loving the RRs. dropped the valk. used mainly as fairway drivers and hyzerflip for lazer drives. new fades out beat doesnt.

champ teebird 170
champ banshee 170

Champ Banshee 170
Star Teerex X 172

banshee for wind and flex shots that have to flex out. Teerex for thumbers, forehand rollers and spike hyzers

Mids:

Champ Roc 180
seasoned DX roc 176
Beat KC roc 168
CE qms 174

Loving the champ roc, very predictable. Trying out the qms and really liking it, need more field time with it though.

Putters:

Newer JK aviar 175
Beat JK aviar 172

thinking of trying out some omegas, BB maybe too stable for my developing putting style.

any thoughts?

few changes

1. Stable Control Driver

Champ teebird 170

still carry the leopard but I don't think I've thrown it in the last 30 rounds

2. Distance Drivers

Star Wraith 169
Star Wraith 168 tuned understable

liking the wraiths, picking up a 150 dx destroyer to try out.

3. Understable Driver

New star Roadrunner 170
Beat star Roadrunner 170

Loving the RRs

champ banshee 170

Star Teerex X 172

thumbers, forehand rollers and spike hyzers

Mids:

Champ Roc 180
seasoned DX roc 176
Beat KC roc 168

getting more and more comfortable with the rocs, I liked the qms in the field but I never reach for it at the course.

Putters:

Gummy Q-Mega 175
JK aviar 175

after a lot of struggling on my putting I have realized that I am most comfortable putting anhyzer and I think the qmega fits a little better. I still use the JK for putter drives and long approaches.

Now if only I could find time to get to the course :roll:

Evolution continues. Thinned things out a lot today:

1. Stable Control Driver
QJLS 172

Really liking this, I was surprised how stable it was for me. Gonna pick up a JLS and a SJLS to try out a few other stability options.

2. Distance Drivers
Star Wraith 169 Newish
Star Wraith 168 flashed and tuned under

168 is for no wind and the 169 flies identical in a little headwind.

3. Understable Driver
Beat star Roadrunner 170

I use this for big Annies, Hyzer flip to right finish, and less than full power hyzer flip for low tight tunnel shots.

This may be blasphemy but I don't feel like this is a hole for me, for now the qjls is covering this well enough

Star Teerex X 172

thumbers, forehand rollers and spike hyzers

Mids:
4 rocs ranging from new 180 champ to beat 11x KC

Putters:
Gummy Q-Mega 175
Omega SS 175

Dropped the JKs altogether. Omega SS for putting and qmega for approach.

11 discs 6 molds