• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting better?

Chris-pee

Par Member
trying out some new stuff, trying to get closer to chest and more body involvment. Its hard to tell by watching though :oops:

Can anyone suggest one major thing I need to change/improve?

You can stop watching after 54 sec. I uploaded it straight from my phone so its not edited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSLhWk0COIw

Thanks!

NOTE: I am not an expert opinion.

That being said, the beginning to the pull back seems REALLY awkward. Personally, I would say get that second hand off the disc sooner. It seems like on your pull back, you are LITERALLY pulling the disc back with your arm, when instead it should be the winding up of the hips that make the arm come back to the set position. The majority of the time if I throw poorly, it is because my reachback was an arm motion, and not a natural whip from my hip motion.

You are also clearly not pausing at the right pec, you start your hit way too early. Again, it looks like you are primarily using your arm to get your arm speed up, the secret is to let your arm go limp, and use your hip motion to get the arm to do what it wants.

P.S How much distance are you getting with that form? Just curious.

Hard to tell if you're getting much elbow stop in your throw. I doesn't seem to stop, but that could just be the slow video frame rate.

I don't usually comment on people's vids because I still have a lot to learn but I think you are doing something I used to do which is just planting and rotating from back to front. Here is something I pulled from a different thread, when Blake was pointing out the same thing in someone else's throw:

"you need to develop a sense of the stages of the throw. there's 2 distinct upper body rotations. turned away to 90 degrees. 90 degrees to faced up. you are kind of spinning around like it's 1. the pull across the body happens between the 2 rotations."

Something to think about at least. I could be wrong, I'm not the best at dissecting video.

Redisculous said:
I don't usually comment on people's vids because I still have a lot to learn but I think you are doing something I used to do which is just planting and rotating from back to front. Here is something I pulled from a different thread, when Blake was pointing out the same thing in someone else's throw:

"you need to develop a sense of the stages of the throw. there's 2 distinct upper body rotations. turned away to 90 degrees. 90 degrees to faced up. you are kind of spinning around like it's 1. the pull across the body happens between the 2 rotations."

Something to think about at least. I could be wrong, I'm not the best at dissecting video.

You're not wrong.

Chris-pee. Your whole throw will change with this next piece of advice and everything will work differently and it might feel awkward for a while. please send a new video once the next change comes naturally because there's no point in critiquing this throw further than saying: in the x step plant the left leg to the right of the right leg instead of left. It will change everything. For one you can reach back farther back giving you a longer time to accelerate increasing your power generation from legs, hips, shoulders and arm. Sound good? :-D

JR said:
...in the x step plant the left leg to the right of the right leg instead of left. It will change everything...
Wow, how did I miss that?!

JHern said:
JR said:
...in the x step plant the left leg to the right of the right leg instead of left. It will change everything...

Embarrassing admittance: Mafa dropped my jaw when he said that Anders Källström visible in Tali Open footage on Youtube does that every time. I only noticed it in the first clip :roll: :mrgreen:

JHern said:
JR said:
Hmmm, I never noticed that. I could see how that would help though, especially with rotating my upper body. Those drives there are only going about 265-280 feet. I've been at that distance for way too long now. Thanks for all the feedback guys.