• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting my form down...

PirateAbu

So today makes my third day playing and I really want to get my distance up. Currently I'm throwing around 200' standing still. I am not wanting to worry about the x step until I get my form better. I have watched quite a few videos online but even with that think I am still missing something.

Below is a video I did tonight. Looking at that the major thing that jumps out at me is how much I have my head down trying to watch my hips.

https://youtu.be/zgRHHEEfgJo

Last edited:
You are trying to spin...it's a shift into a catapult or launch feeling instead. You are freely rotating around the plant foot and you are trying to pre-rotate on that foot. Try swinging a baseball bat or hammer or something like that (somewhere safe!) and you'll feel it tug you and pull you all over the place.

Check out this video:

Thanks that did help a lot. Today at the course my distance was still about the same but I had much better accuracy since I was only throwing about 70%.

Going to practice it a bit more and post up another vid in a couple days. A bit sore from throwing so much these past few.

Still planning on putting up another video. Every time I go to edit I immediately spot some issues that need fixed. I am throwing about 300' now with great accuracy.

Hitting the field again tomorrow and will post that vid so you can see my progress

Alright here is the latest vid. Just took a quick one in the garage again. Wanted to get in the field but it has been raining the past couple days. I know I'm screwing up my reach back pretty badly now but at least my lower body is starting to look better. Going to start focusing more on the butt wipe drill.

Last edited:
That second video on your last post really opened my eyes to where I was going wrong.

The first throw in the vid is near the start of my session tonight, and the last couple is where I ended up. The last dozen or so were almost identical in form.

Last edited:
Watch the power of posture video I linked again.

You are standing with your feet pointed outwards, and then leaning back (your spine is angled towards your rear foot). Your shoulders go past your rear foot on reachback. Your rear foot then just spins in place (and moves upwards) instead of shifting your weight onto your front foot. Your angled spine then becomes angled past your plant foot, and you fall over.

In simple terms, every joint should be vertically behind the one below it (shoulders/hips are different, this is a simplification). Your right hip should be behind your right knee, which should be behind your right ankle. If your shoulders get past your right foot...you can't balance any more and your weight goes past the right foot. Basically you need to stay inside of your stance and transfer your weight.

1. Do not take a step back with the rear foot initiating the backswing, you are unloading/unwinding, instead of loading/stiffening up posture the rear foot/side to turn into. The Move pt 1. Your rear heel in spinning out away from the target instead of everting forward.

2. Don't lean away from the target over your rear leg/ head past your rear foot going into the backswing. Turn more centered inside your posture upright and let your arm/disc swing back(and forth).

3. Re-watch Power of Posture and One-leg Drill.

Latest posts