• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting started in NW Ohio

PirateAbu

I'm new to the disc golf scene. Just a couple weeks ago I went to Dallas for work and tagged along with a friend while he played. I had so much fun that as soon as I got back I went online and purchased a few discs. Nothing special just starter set to get my feet wet. (Soft Magnet, Buzzz & Avenger SS)

I live out in Napoleon Ohio. Nice area, but no courses near me. Closest is about 30 min away. Luckily I do live next to the fairgrounds so I will be spending the days that I don't go to a course driving over there, also set up a makeshift basket in my back yard to practice putting (old clothesline pole). Would like to meet some people in the area to throw with. I travel up to Toledo and/or Defiance weekly.

Welcome from Upper Michigan! (Calumet)
I checked out your location...24 miles to the nearest 18 hole course - Ouch!

Welcome from central OH! Sorry you have nothing close, but you do have a lot of courses within easy drive time that are worth a road trip....

Hey, look at the bright side: very few people live within 45 miles of THREE "Ottawa Park" disc golf courses!
Seriously, my youngest went to Defiance for a year, so I've hit up the two nine hole courses there. If you're down there on a student-less day, the campus course is decent, and if classes are in session, you can always divert to the reservoir. They aren't astonishing courses, but can scratch the itch while you plan a road trip (speaking of which, going to a premium membership on here gets you the road trip planner...might be well worth the feature for ya).
Welcome to the addiction!

I'm new to the disc golf scene. Just a couple weeks ago I went to Dallas for work and tagged along with a friend while he played. I had so much fun that as soon as I got back I went online and purchased a few discs. Nothing special just starter set to get my feet wet. (Soft Magnet, Buzzz & Avenger SS)

I live out in Napoleon Ohio. Nice area, but no courses near me. Closest is about 30 min away. Luckily I do live next to the fairgrounds so I will be spending the days that I don't go to a course driving over there, also set up a makeshift basket in my back yard to practice putting (old clothesline pole). Would like to meet some people in the area to throw with. I travel up to Toledo and/or Defiance weekly.

Fremont Ohio is now 18 holes. We are going to be there tomorrow morning around 9:30. Look for two old farts.

Fremont's a haul from Napoleon ;)

That said, I'm driving 4 hours tonight to bag some courses in SE OH with a bunch of degenerates I met on here :D

Bryan's course is pretty good, and BG is open and windy. If you get a chance, go to Ann Arbor. They have a lot of good courses crammed into a relatively small area.

Toledo league nights (I might be missing a few):

Wed - Perrysburg
Thur - Parmalee
Fri - Ottawa (Toledo)
Sat and Sun - Vienna (noonish)

Fremont Ohio is now 18 holes. We are going to be there tomorrow morning around 9:30. Look for two old farts.

I'd be up for the drive out to Freemont sometime, just bad timing this time around. I will probably will try hitting up a course later in the afternoon. Thinking the Defiance resivoir around 11. I have a small window, dropping off the wife at her 2nd job from 10-2 or so.

So had some fun tossing at the fairgrounds today. Was throwing consistently about 200' from a stand still. Just trying to get my form down and use my hips before I move on to the X-step. My aim still leaves a lot to be desired but that will come with more practice. The only downside is I wish I had more discs to throw. Getting 3 throws then chasing kind of stinks.

If you get a chance, go to Ann Arbor. They have a lot of good courses crammed into a relatively small area.

I second this, come on up any time, even Buckeyes are welcome! :thmbup: Some of the nice courses in the area are Hudson Mills (2 courses), Independence Lake, the Gulch...Bandemer Park is my home course, it's a fun little 9 hole course in the woods just minutes from downtown A2. I've only been playing since last year, but I've gotten the bug pretty badly. Shoot me a PM if you decide to come through the area.