• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Ghost = 8x Roc???

OregonDG420

Birdie Member
Ive heard several times that the Legacy Ghost is an 8x KC Roc clone. Im a roc thrower and am curious to see how much of that is true. So my question is have you compared the two and are they the "same" and is the ghost mold the same as the 8x Roc mold?

Give this a read. It's got a ton of useful information, as well as probably most of the answers you're looking for.

Hype="let's pick out a disc that has a really good reputation but is old and availability is limited so that almost none of the current generation of players will have thrown a new one, and then say our discs is just like that one."

Hype="let's pick out a disc that has a really good reputation but is old and availability is limited so that almost none of the current generation of players will have thrown a new one, and then say our discs is just like that one."

ouch-o.gif

I have heard the same but i assume it is false but i was a big time roc thrower for the past 4-5 years before i started throwing Ghosts and made the transistion with NO problems..My Excel Ghosts start out around San Marino or Ontario style not quite as beefy as a Rancho Roc but i have never thrown an 8x Mold or own one so i cant compare.. Im not sure where the story or info came from but i had heard the same thing.. not why i purchased the discs though

All I know is the ghost is the only place you can find a non plus rim base plastic roc.

The Ghost looks similar to a roc side-by-side but doesn't fly like much like the DX Roc i have from a couple years ago (when compared to my Gravity Ghosts).

There are SO many different flights you can get out of a Ghost, depending on the plastic you get Excel, Gravity, Protege, Icon, Pinnacle, Legend, they each have their own differences, some start out beefy, more glide, better grip, break in fast/slower, etc.

I Throw 2 Icon, 2 Gravity, and 1 beefy early run pinnacle. In different stages of wear that covers every spectrum of stability and nearly every shot i could need to make for midrange drives, similar to how well Rocs can be cycled and vary from champ/DX/etc.

The 8x mold thing was started to generate hype and make people say "Wow that sounds great, i need to get one", etc. I have never heard Legacy claim its any kind of Roc.

I have an 8x and I had a ghost. They are not the same.....not even that close.

I have an 8x and I had a ghost. They are not the same.....not even that close.

there we go some confirmation :thmbup: .. yeah i dunno where the rumor truly came from .. hell who ever knows where some of these things start.. either way imo the Ghost is a GREAT mold

As someone who has had an 8x in their bag for many a year, I can agree with In4D and The Hammer. The only similarity the Ghost and 8X have is they are beaded midranges. I've found that the 8x is better into the wind then Ghosts. Where as, when throwing downwind the Ghost has more glide than the 8x and can be thrown on a lower line as it has more speed. I've also found that the Ghost has more fade at the end of it's flight compared to the 8x. Plus, the Ghost is a hell of a lot cheaper than any mint or thrower 8x on the market.

As for the rumor....when the Ghost first came out I had heard the same rumor that everyone is talking about on the boards. The explanation I was given was that Legacy was using the 8x as a model of how to mold the Ghost. Since the patent had run out on the 8x, Legacy based it's Ghost mold on some of the characteristics that the 8x had but then added their own ideas to make the Ghost a better alternative to the 8x or Rocs in general. Whether this is true or not I really do not care, as they are both great discs. The only Rocs I have left in my bag are the 8x, the Ontario Roc (which will soon be replaced with the Gauge) and a Super Roc. Besides those three rocs, I also bag the Icon Ghost and Protege Roc. I'm looking into getting some Gravity Ghosts to try and see if they take the place of my DX Rocs.

There is a Rico ITB (2011 maybe?) when he had lots of innova still in there and the ghost was a prototype which he called one of his legacy stamped rocs a KC Ghost (11x) obviously was joking but then talked about the proto too which was more overstable I believe. If 8x rocs were more OS than 11x see how the comparison may have been made and thrown around early on.

i think they redoing protege, making a new blend, thats just a rumor i heard, but after they make something they are happy with im sure they will do a production run in ghosts.

There is a Rico ITB (2011 maybe?) when he had lots of innova still in there and the ghost was a prototype which he called one of his legacy stamped rocs a KC Ghost (11x) obviously was joking but then talked about the proto too which was more overstable I believe. If 8x rocs were more OS than 11x see how the comparison may have been made and thrown around early on.

Maybe you should text Rico and ask him.

Not the same bruh

different PLH, different bead, sharper nose, different dome, overall a resemblance could be made in general the same type of disc.
4hpG5JVl.jpg

Last edited:
yeah completely different molds right there. No way ghosts should be compared to rocs

:rolleyes:

............................ . . . . . . . .. . . . . . .. . . PERIOD HELP OMG what roc is that even REALLY?!