• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Give me your best putting tips

Get set. Comfy footing is key for a successful pushoff.
Three pumps, pick a chain, see the line, one last check for obstacles. Nose up, don't forget the spin. CHING !
Go get your disc like it aint no thing. Mark card.

I have a question on putting. How do you guys eject the disc? Most people say straight wrist, and I watch them putt and it looks like they put their hand between their legs and then punch the basket lol but they throw straight lasers. If I don't curl my wrist inward and throw with my wrist it'll just flop forward. And of course once I get out to like 20 feet this method doesn't work anymore.

I have a question on putting. How do you guys eject the disc? Most people say straight wrist, and I watch them putt and it looks like they put their hand between their legs and then punch the basket lol but they throw straight lasers. If I don't curl my wrist inward and throw with my wrist it'll just flop forward. And of course once I get out to like 20 feet this method doesn't work anymore.

I do curl my wrist. Thats where my spin is imparted. Its not so much an intentional uncurling as it is letting the weight of the disc spin out of my wrist. It works for me.

The way I learned was watching vids of the pros and for the style I do it you keep your elbow straight like it's a rifle and use your arm to aim at the basket and you use the swinging of your arm up and down and your wrist to flick it a bit for spin to get it going along with the entire movement of your body. You keep your elbow straight for that nice straight shot. Look at push putting video clinics and it will show it. I kinda have to do spin putting after a certain amount of distance tho as I don't get much power behind the push putting but dead accurate.

Everyone has a different body type. Some people work best with straight arms, some bent. Some hands are better for spin or push putting.

The biggest thing is to find a putting line that you can visually always see/make with a putter that feels 100% confident. From there just focus on finishing the extension of the arm on the line you want to go as you push forward. Your body will natually get its own form and you can sort of tweak it. Really just keep practicing a style that you KNOW YOU ARE CONFIDENT AT. Thats the most important thing, knowing before you putt that you are going to make it. Trying styles and lines that you don't know can sometimes hurt confidence if things aren't getting better in practice.

I'll just tell you my putting practice journey up to now.

1. I didn't want to buy a putting basket, so I just set up an upside down tomato cage. If i hit the feet, it made it in the basket. The best part about the tomato cage is that is is so small. It helps train accuracy and focus in the earliest stages.

2. The first time i tried it i was very frustrated/embarrassed. I couldn't stand anyone watch me. Just get over this stage.

3. I started researching the push putt. It was very frustrating dealing with nose down. I kept working through it. It took a long time but I made it somehow.

4. experimentation is key. If you want to know your self, you have to push your boundaries. Play around. Remember, putting is 100% open source. If you are missing, change your forum. Keep an open mind.

4a. Pay attention to patterns. If your foot is a few degrees off and then you miss, change it. Treat the entirety of your putting this way. Same for the mental game and eye contact with the basket.

5. Master all putting styles withing 15-20 feet. If you want a good game and a good ability to transfer from putting styles, practice doing so. Take a month to individually learn straddle, push, and spin from different people. For example, I practice Mcbeth style spin, Catrina Allen/Mcbeth syle straddle, and Wysocki/Feldberg stiff style push putt.

6. After mastering all 3 styles, practice them all together in one session. Start with your most comfortable style and get into the grove of that particular style. once you get there, move to the next style, and so on. Mentally, you need a good turn around rate. AKA, transfer from spin to push putt with out missing once after the transfer. It's very important to master this, as you may run into a big straddle after a failed spin.

7. All of the above sessions/should be about an hour in length. Now, half the practice time and make sure you start confidently and end with good putts. Like what Sean Clement said, your body or brain learns better when you start and end balanced. I believe this is the same for your brain. Emotionally balanced at the beginning and at the end.

This is not up to the current. I probably go through more stages, but I know that overall I have a better putting game than before. Roll with the punches and don't stop. Best of luck.

Last edited:

Latest posts