• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Go directly to Drop Zone with penalty

CeVHvDP.jpg

Not much room if you can't carry the water.

simple solution if 806.02 Out-of-Bounds G. is not in play: just bag a piece of crap disposable disc and intentionally throw it in the drink, and proceed to the drop zone.
That's an understandable viewpoint on the situation, from the rules statepoint, but none that would increase the fun for me. Losing discs is no fun. Losing discs intentionally, even less. That's more like intentionally littering the environment ...

It looks to me like any shot of at least 140' that finishes right, and goes OB over the walkway, still results in a better lie than the drop zone. Seems like a better option than going straight to the DZ, unless you're concerned you'll put it in the pond even while trying to avoid it.

It looks to me like any shot of at least 140' that finishes right, and goes OB over the walkway, still results in a better lie than the drop zone. Seems like a better option than going straight to the DZ, unless you're concerned you'll put it in the pond even while trying to avoid it.

Per the original post, he is a FH only player and has trouble with fading into the water even when he tries to throw OB.

Per the original post, he is a FH only player and has trouble with fading into the water even when he tries to throw OB.

Actually, he seems to say his discs wind up right (away from water)....but that he still manages to miss and throw some in.

I know the feeling. I've sunk discs on easy water carries and holes running up the shore with plenty of safe landing area. It's a talent. Or lack thereof.

Heheheh, you've seen me throw.... happens to me allllll the time. [emoji16][emoji23][emoji16][emoji23][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at that shot as a LHBH only player, that hole terrifies me. I think I'd be seriously considering the playground route. Or, maybe a floater disc and just roll it into the water.

As to the rules question. If it were my course I'd have a option for lower power players to have a shot without loosing plastic built into the course. The best way would be to make the DZ be an official tee for lower divisions. My home course has 3 pads on each hole so this isn't a problem, but I forget that some courses are set up quite as nice.

There is really no purpose for the dry land OB area. It won't keep discs from landing on or over the path anyway (discs don't always obey instructions). No one can throw until the area is clear - whether it is OB or not.

As for forcing the long water carry, any player who is in contention and can clear the water will be trying the exact same throw whether the OB is there or not. The OB doesn't add to the strategy.

Of course, the OB does add pointless penalty throws to poorer players. Which increases the difference between good scores and bad scores and inflates the round ratings of the good scores. Both of which prop up the self-esteem of those whose self-worth is based on being separated from lesser players. So it's got that going for it.

Thanks for all the advice/input. That photo shows it best, except for one thing - the amount of people walking, jogging, bike riding in the park. That's why the sidewalk and to the right is out of bounds (the real idea is to keep people from throwing over the sidewalk and hitting people).

I never thought about intentionally throwing it into the splash pad area, walking all the way around to there, throwing over water (less distance) and walking all the way back around. I may have to try that some time. 200 feet is the edge of my range...my normal max is 220ish (my internet distance is 250, but that's throwing downhill).

Yes, I am RHFH....you don't want to be around when I try a RHBH throw. I also don't have a lot of distance or consistency. That's why sometimes I throw past the forward/DZ tee and try to throw OB, but my disc shanks into the water, or hits the sidewalk and rolls back into the water.

BTW: Concerning my ability...and why I ask about options.... I'm a 634 (currently) rated player, my highest ever was 652. I look for ways to play that work with my ability. (I suck at disc golf right now....but I'm having all the fun).

I am surprised that the course doesn't have that other side as out of bounds. I'll have to check that out just to confirm it is 'in bounds' and if so, try that route. It will delay my group proceeding, but if it is a legal route, I'll try it.

I am surprised that the course doesn't have that other side as out of bounds. I'll have to check that out just to confirm it is 'in bounds' and if so, try that route. It will delay my group proceeding, but if it is a legal route, I'll try it.

No, don't.

No, don't.

Okay, I'm confused. Earlier you said:

The middle of that playground is only about 200 feet away. Totally reachable.

Was that tongue-in-cheek? I know there's the 'safety' concern, but the splash pad isn't in use very often...so it is an interesting option.

So, why are you saying don't do that, after seeming to point it out as an option?

Latest posts