• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Going the distance

Woops, missed this

Welcome. You are very athletic.

May be a little premature, but I could see you being competitive in the FPO.

Thanks :) I play in FPO locally but my country is small and the sport is pretty new here, so most of us are probably playing nearer to the FA2-FA1 level. But I'm hoping to get out to US and Finland for some tournaments next year.

Looking close, but not quite there, you turn back/forth too much and too early/quick before you shift. You are getting too backward on the rear leg and making a more backward move off it, instead of a more lateral or forward move off the foot. Note how Eagle's CoG leads his airborne foot more into the kick, so airborne foot is more slung back behind CoG and able to shift/move lower body forward underneath upper body quicker and able to catch yourself in dynamic balance like a slalom skier.
UEiB6n0.png

Looking close, but not quite there, you turn back/forth too much and too early/quick before you shift. You are getting too backward on the rear leg and making a more backward move off it, instead of a more lateral or forward move off the foot. Note how Eagle's CoG leads his airborne foot more into the kick, so airborne foot is more slung back behind CoG and able to shift/move lower body forward underneath upper body quicker and able to catch yourself in dynamic balance like a slalom skier.

Thanks, this is gold. Practiced this for a few days and went out and got film of myself yesterday and I fixed a lot of the turning back/forth/too early/quickly, but I was getting even more backward on my rear leg than before.

I think it's a movement pattern I'm not used to and I have to put more work into ingraining it slowly with drills. I'll report back in a few days.

Alright, I think it's getting there. Here are some slow motion throws into a net, stock, hyzer and anhyzer and a rear view too, full(-ish) power with a putter.

To me it looks like on your plant step your toes/kneecaps are pointed outward a bit and there is a brief flat-footed moment. I would recommend trying to keep your knees in during the plant step and it might help get the toes involved in the quick shift and make it a little more springy feeling.

Still getting turned too backwards on your rear foot to make a more forward move off it and hitting the top of backswing too early, so you start swinging or pulling your arm/disc forward too early before the plant. I would play around with door frame drills some more and where your rear foot is placed and angled, so that your whole body is being turned further back into the rear foot as you go into the plant while maintaining forward leverage on the rear foot.

Also your rear arm/shoulder looks like it is a bit lazy and behind you instead of more forward engaged in front of your body.

Your shoulders/arm/disc have already starting going forward and Eagle is still extending back away.
attachment.php

Attachments

• elle eagle door frame.jpg
    elle eagle door frame.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Ok, had 3 days off due to competition and then sickness, but I've been working on this a bit now. The big issue with the rear foot is mostly unchanged, still fiddling with that trying to figure out why I do it and how I go about fixing it. I do think that my rear arm/shoulder is getting better and I'm hitting the peak of my extension more around when my plant foot is landing.

I'm also turning back too early and that's probably connected to this whole peak extension timing, plant step and rear leg.

Anyways, here's the awkward angle video:

Edit: Also, this is probably going to be my last major technique change session in August; the biggest tournament of my life so far is coming up next weekend and I need to have my mind on just bringing the swing I have with me and preparing my game plan, etc.

Last edited:
Ok, had 3 days off due to competition and then sickness, but I've been working on this a bit now. The big issue with the rear foot is mostly unchanged, still fiddling with that trying to figure out why I do it and how I go about fixing it. I do think that my rear arm/shoulder is getting better and I'm hitting the peak of my extension more around when my plant foot is landing.

I'm also turning back too early and that's probably connected to this whole peak extension timing, plant step and rear leg.

Anyways, here's the awkward angle video:

Edit: Also, this is probably going to be my last major technique change session in August; the biggest tournament of my life so far is coming up next weekend and I need to have my mind on just bringing the swing I have with me and preparing my game plan, etc.

I think you'll have huge success with this little piece of info:

Close your shoulder earlier. That will make you turn back later. Weird huh? But it works.
Load up a little bit of resistance when striding into the x-step. You can see Paul McBeth do it in this video. He's closed of but still striding towards target loaded up. THEN he "turns back" (or rather is letting his mass keep moving forward while holding the pressure back on the left leg). It's a separate move which loads up the sling even more and utilizes the sling effect. It's REALLY hard going from 0-100 with loading a system. You'll always want a relaxed and loaded state that you can later magnify and explode out of.

Your glutes should be engaged bracing/pushing/clearing the front hip back away from target in rotation. You are in a more quad dominant position with the knee/hip leaking forward and pressure going into your front toes instead of back toward the heel.

Note how PP kind of looks like she is water skiing and pulled by the boat thru the arm and the front leg is in dynamic balance/brace sitting back against the pull of the boat/swing to not get pulled over the front leg and face plant.

You can do Door Frame Drill backwards hanging and holding on to the door frame at the hit/release point and pushing your front foot into the ground pushing the front hip/butt back away from door frame/arm pulling it taut. You should feel your front glute more than the quad, if the knee fully extends the quad will actually relax and feel the hamstring stretching. So if you are centered in Door Frame Drill there should be a Door Frame in front of you(hit/release) and behind you(top of backswing).
attachment.php

Attachments

• elle pp brace.jpg
    elle pp brace.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Basically just bend the one arm wakeboarder's rear knee with rear foot detached from the board.
RMJpI8d.png

Alright, time to revive this.

So my phone's battery crapped out and I couldn't really film at all during the colder months. I finally got a new camera and just got my first throws on film in like 9 months.

In the meantime I've done a ton of work, changed a ton but eventually went back to doing things very similar to what I was doing back when this was filmed. I've got more power and am more comfortable hitting different angles, but I still have many of the same issues.

Since I just finished up the biggest tournament of my career and don't have any big tournaments for 8 weeks or so, I figured I'd try to actually do some real technique work during summer, when I can throw almost every day in moderately ok weather.

There's 8 throws in this video, 3 from the front and 5 from the side.

The throws are (in order): (FRONT) Stock throw, (FRONT) shanked power throw, my most common miss, (FRONT) power throw, (SIDE) stock throw, (SIDE) flat throw, (SIDE) anhyzer throw, (SIDE) power throw, (SIDE) flat power throw.

Cool!!!

Both feet appear to be pointed too far back. I'm not sure if it's there's an additional issue getting a full hip hinge off the rear leg, but nudging both feet further forward will help us tell.

IMO the camera behind tee is much more valuable than the in front of net one.

Agee it looks like you are too backwards in the x-step/stride and moving too leftward/westward and finishing falling over to the left/west off the front leg from more quad dominant position.

Paige tends to stride slightly west to east or dead straight and finish to the right/east around the front leg. She strides more laterally in more hip hinge/hammy glute dominant position.

I'd recommend running/galloping sideways 100 meters back and forth. Get into quick and efficient movement without over-committing yourself/balance/posture to moving one-direction. Should be able to change any direction quickly if you wanted like Barry Sanders.

Cool!!!

Both feet appear to be pointed too far back. I'm not sure if it's there's an additional issue getting a full hip hinge off the rear leg, but nudging both feet further forward will help us tell.

IMO the camera behind tee is much more valuable than the in front of net one.

Agee it looks like you are too backwards in the x-step/stride and moving too leftward/westward and finishing falling over to the left/west off the front leg from more quad dominant position.

Paige tends to stride slightly west to east or dead straight and finish to the right/east around the front leg. She strides more laterally in more hip hinge/hammy glute dominant position.

I'd recommend running/galloping sideways 100 meters back and forth. Get into quick and efficient movement without over-committing yourself/balance/posture to moving one-direction. Should be able to change any direction quickly if you wanted like Barry Sanders.

This is weird for me, it took some time to figure out but I feel like I'm getting closer. I filmed this after playing a round and I feel like I did it better during the round.

Good news; hitting my lines really well. Parked 2 holes with a Valkyrie I've never parked before and usually have trouble reaching.

Bad news; feet are still pointed back a similar amount. I'm still striding right to left, just not as much. I'm still falling left a bit. I'm having real difficulty quickly changing directions if I get any speed while running sideways.

I think I probably need to do some stretching of the iliopsoas and adductors and strengthening of abductors, along with just working on a different balance.

Note how you lean back going into x-step and end up tipped over your tiny x-step.
Note how PP launches herself forward off the right foot like kick the can x-step and covers much bigger distance more centered/leveraged.

You have a smaller pressure shift between feet with a bigger ratio mass shift.
PP has a much bigger pressure shift between feet with small ratio mass shift but still gliding bigger distance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwuSt45Lfp4#t=3m12s

ilbe3zr.png

Note how you are orbiting around the front leg while PP pivots centered. You should have to extend your rear leg to get over it starting buttwipe from hershyzer position while keeping pressure on wall.

Note how you push your left hip over to the left of your knee with femur angled \, while PP is angled / sitting with hip behind knee.
PiHsYn2.png

Last edited:

Latest posts