• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good sidearm mid-range disc?

battsypants

Par Member
First, let me start off by saying that I'm left handed. Not sure that really makes a difference, but I primarily use sidearm when I want the disc to move from right to left. For sidearm drives, I use an Star Xcaliber, which can take a lot of snap without turning over. My typical toss is around 325+ with this disc. I'm basically looking for a shorter Xcaliber.

Suggestions?

How short?

We looking at mid-putt distance or mid-fairway distances?

Fairway- Demon/Gator
Mid-putt- Sinus AP

I think the whippet is a great sidearm disc. It says fairway driver, but I think it would work as a mid.

I've been experimenting, with great results, with a one finger flick with a hyzer angle using a stable putter (I use Challengers) for those shorter shots where you want to get around something.

WHIPPET! throw it on almost every mid-range shot... very predictable in flight and skips very well.. the buzzz also makes a great forehand mid-range... holds any line well but can be turned over if thrown too hard.

I've been experimenting, with great results, with a one finger flick with a hyzer angle using a stable putter (I use Challengers) for those shorter shots where you want to get around something.

Thats what I do and I use my Core usually. Also like my Warrior for when I am nutting on it and I know my form is going to suffer a little; but dont usually carry that disc,

I'd suggest trying a Gator. I use it for my sidearm approach shots or short drives from the tee. I use it for shots anywhere between 100-230 feet. You can always trust that it will fade left for you. I love my beat in DX Gator, but if you can find a Champion Gator that would be money as well. It also makes a great backhand disc, its great having an way overstable mid when you need to get around some trees and fade hard, ect.. I even use the Gator for short rollers, it is a very versatile disc!

I use a Breeze for FH upshots and have made some ridiculously long ones. It's very consistent and will hold any line you put it on. My 2¢ - don't spend it all in one place.

I wonder if midnight has ever broken one off on a disc?

Or is it smash one out?

Or crack one open?

i recently picked up an esp drone and its been pretty nice so far for FH. i also have been working with rocs for more finesse FH shots. Firebird or Predator is always a good choice for something faster.

I use a Roc for finesse shots, but learned my FH mid-range game with a Star Gator. For some reason after throwing the Gator for a while I learned how to throw any mid-range with finesse. Can't get them out there like the gator, but 200' tight tunnel shot and I will opt for a Roc FH all day.

I'd suggest trying a Gator. I use it for my sidearm approach shots or short drives from the tee. I use it for shots anywhere between 100-230 feet. You can always trust that it will fade left for you. I love my beat in DX Gator, but if you can find a Champion Gator that would be money as well. It also makes a great backhand disc, its great having an way overstable mid when you need to get around some trees and fade hard, ect.. I even use the Gator for short rollers, it is a very versatile disc!

ahmen!
My Champ Gator loves power... i can throw it almost 300'!

I am not sure what ranges and types of shots you are looking for...

here is what i use (beside the destroyer)

164 Orc - 6 to 8g's lighter than most of my discs... it's my fairway sidearm and overall flick disc (Anything in the ranges of 75-200 feet is locked in.)
As a sidearm driver it works great too!

170 Champ Rhyno - Probably one of the best short range sidearm discs i've played with... i love the Gator, BUT it requires too much power.

170 Champ Gator - Great sidearm disc. I dont use it much as the 3 others in my bag seem to be better for me. although it's my #2 choice on almost all sidearm shots, i still highly recommend it. (if i didnt have a Rhyno..... or if my Orc wasnt so consistent....)

Whippets are so predictable for shorter distances man. I loved them. Was able to snag 3 aces with them before I switched to backhand anhyzers for more control. Gator is a good choice too, but I never felt more control throwing sidearm than with my Pro Whippets!

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm still learning, pretty much a complete noob. So what I'm basically looking for is an overstable mid? I have a FLX Drone, which I love and throw backhand whenever I need to get around something. So I should probably just use that.