• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gorilla Boy Disc Sports

Should Chris make the secondary color Black

• Yes

Votes: 78 69.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 34 30.4%

• Total voters
The Old Kid said:
4047781705_6c3a80fc54_m.jpg

tag1.jpg

My #6 tag looks better on my bag then your #1 looks on yours

In that case hows bout you keep your tag and we can swap simians :wink:

So I got the Solty-Edition Proto Simian on Monday. Pretty damn sweet. It's kind of funny, my dad actually made a bag almost exactly the same about a 1 1/2 yrs ago with an aluminum frame. I told him if he added more storage space, back pack style straps and divisions in the main compartment I'd use it. And basically what he would have made is the Simian! I'll have to see if I can find pictures, but I digress...

The Simian is very well built, solid workmanship. It's no wonder guys that have a GB sing Chris' praises so much. This is my first real exposure to one, minus seeing them on the course, and I have to admit, I think I might be a fanboy now. I love the way the bag looks, and the functionality is great too. The side pockets are extra cavernous; I loaded everything I had in my Revo DP, and I still have room left over! I'm not sure I like the putter pocket yet, but only because it's different from any putter pocket I've used before.

Two things I'm going to modify, which I believe are already done are the production runs: grommets in the drink holders and a better seat/pad. Neither current incarnation is unbearable, but the mods will make the bag that much better. I also like that the production version has 2 putter pockets, but the bladder pocket holds an extra towel pretty nicely.

The Quads fit a little funky because the sewn on straps are sewn on, duh. I don't think it's a deal breaker, but I'm not sure I want to hack off the original straps just yet.

Overall, solid bag. I can't wait to put it through it's paces.
No buyer's remorse here, Thanks Mike! And Thanks Chris for making a kick ass bag!

Cool, cool. I like the putter pockets myself, in that you can adjust them to hole 1 or 2 putters snugly if you want. The only thing I don't like about them is that they're impossible to reach with the bag on. Not a deal breaker by any means, but it's nice to be able to putt out and stash your putters away on the fly sometimes.

As to the straps, I believe the protos are the same as the production runs in that they can come completely off except for the webbing that's attached under the seat. The padded part is just velcroed to the actual "strap" part. Dunno if you've read my previous posts about difficulties with the quads, but I've been using the regular GB straps lately, and found them to work much better. The Phenix straps have better contour and padding, but as far as functionality goes, the GB straps win hands down. Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure they have a greater range of adjustability too.

So there is a Ziggy-edition proto Simian on its way to my house now. I'm super pumped!

Chris, could you post (or pm) all the changes you made between proto and production? I know the inside pocket was added, the second putter pocket, the board under the pad in the seat, and the backpack straps, what else? Are all the materials and all the assembly/stitching the same? In the case of the board, could you divulge the dimensions of the board so I could cut one myself? If so, is there any special way to get into the top of the bag (will I need to re-stitch something?) I'm sure a bunch of this will be self explanatory when I get the bag in a week.

I've never seen a GB bag down here in College Station and North Houston, hopefully I can get yall some attention by lugging this thing around.

in order to get the board in there you'll only have the option of butchering your bag... in the finale version I had to change the underside of the construction of the seat completely in order to be able to sew the bag together and get the padding and the board in there...it would require you to take the internal frame out which is sorta tricky and even trickier to put back in...IMO it's not worth trying to mod the proto's cuz your just gonna have to cut stuff and butcher the bags...and like I said the frame is sorta tricky which is why I send the Simian's out fully assembled :wink:

mason and booter....

i think i have a potential fix for you. You guys can fabricate a new padded board and attach ONTOP the seat UNDER the grab strap...and attach it via the two tabs at the sides of the seat.

just an idea...

solty

what changed for the most part was cosmetic. and the build of the bag is the same so no changes there..and the padding in the seat is a much denser foam than what was used in the proto's

Solty said:
mason and booter....

i think i have a potential fix for you. You guys can fabricate a new padded board and attach ONTOP the seat UNDER the grab strap...and attach it via the two tabs at the sides of the seat.

just an idea...

solty

I like this idea, I need to see it in person to decide, which won't be for a week. I'm really excited about it tho!

go to a place that repairs shoes or furniture and get them to put that shit in, should be pretty cheap and quick

mejlholm said:
Any approximate timeline on the next batch of simians? Should I be hoping for one before or after christmas?

I'm working on em now, but cant really give an exact time when there gonna be done ..will be before Christmas though for sure