• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

GPS Mapping of Trails and Landmarks

livedoen4

Par Member
We recently received approval to expand a local 9 hole course. There are bike trails and other hiking trails that meander through the property that we'll have to work around. There is also an old dam, large ravine and other earthworks that will be incorporated in the design. Parks & Rec specifically asked if I had the capabilities of re-mapping their trails.

My question(s)...

What's the best way for me to map a trail? I figure a GPS can track where I have walked and I can "save" each trail and use way points to save the location of the features. I would like to be able to save and print the finished map.

Can I do this with a smartphone?

It will be used in the approval presentation to Parks & Rec and to the city...

Thanks for your help!

Based on your question, I think the best solution would be to tell them you don't have the capability to re-map their trails.

That's their job, not yours. Or perhaps it's the county's. See your county's GIS page.

Even if you come up with a map, will it be the kind that they need? Will it be the right type to print onto trail signs, or whatever they have in mind? Do you have the graphics capability to create and deliver a file of that size?

If I were cynical, I'd ask: What other free work do they think they can get out of you in exchange for allowing 9 more holes?

But, if you still want to do it....

Start with all the aerial photos you can find. County GIS, Google Earth, Google Maps, Bing Maps, to start. They are far more accurate than you'll be able to do with hand-held GPS or phone. Use the ones that where you can see the most features that actually exist. This is usually newest, highest resolution, and taken when the leaves are gone.

Mapping trails through woods is especially difficult, because you usually can't see them on overhead photos. Also, the GPS isn't nearly as accurate under trees.

Your phone or any hand-help GPS will only give you a general idea of the shape of the trails. Use it, but don't trust it.

You'll need to verify the location of the trails by carefully studying landmarks, and measuring the distance from known points on the ground and plotting that against landmarks you can see on the aerial photo.

Mapping trails through woods is especially difficult, because you usually can't see them on overhead photos. Also, the GPS isn't nearly as accurate under trees.

Your phone or any hand-help GPS will only give you a general idea of the shape of the trails. Use it, but don't trust it.

I agree with this.. handheld (e.g. smart phone) GPS devices in wooded areas typically have a tough time getting better than 40ft. accuracy on positions, which is really poor for mapping. :( If those trails were actually 'official', someone *must* have a map of them somewhere. If you can get an official map, placing it as an overlay in Google Earth I've found is really helpful. Bike trails you realistically won't be able to do more than just estimate their position, though. :p

Based on your question, I think the best solution would be to tell them you don't have the capability to re-map their trails.

That's their job, not yours. Or perhaps it's the county's. See your county's GIS page.

Even if you come up with a map, will it be the kind that they need? Will it be the right type to print onto trail signs, or whatever they have in mind? Do you have the graphics capability to create and deliver a file of that size?

If I were cynical, I'd ask: What other free work do they think they can get out of you in exchange for allowing 9 more holes?

But, if you still want to do it....

Start with all the aerial photos you can find. County GIS, Google Earth, Google Maps, Bing Maps, to start. They are far more accurate than you'll be able to do with hand-held GPS or phone. Use the ones that where you can see the most features that actually exist. This is usually newest, highest resolution, and taken when the leaves are gone.

You'll need to verify the location of the trails by carefully studying landmarks, and measuring the distance from known points on the ground and plotting that against landmarks you can see on the aerial photo.

I live in a small town with an even smaller budget. When I asked for maps and other information from the P&R Director he told me his existing trail maps were done as a scout project. He asked what it would cost/take to do a better job mapping and I told him I'd check. I'm trying to strengthen our foundation and relationship with Parks & Rec. In our hikes around the property it was clear there are other formal trails that weren't listed on the map. I know it's extra work and that a hand held GPS has it faults. The map doesn't need to be perfect...just show the main trails and help us configure our course. In the 90's I had an inexpensive GPS that could zoom in and basically show where I had walked. 20 years later I figure I could sync up the same technology with my computer and download the information to be printed or saved.