• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grand Masters - How far can they drive?

I play regularly with some very good grandmaster players. They tend to get 350' on the regular with the occasional 375' and a little more. That's flat ground distance.

They are also very, very consistent players, and fun to play with too. And at least one person I play with has been playing since before I was born!

I am good for consistant 300 ft. Never had a big arm, but distance seems to kind of fade away each year. Not so bad, make up for much of it in wisdom.

I played with Chuck Kennedy and Chris (Porter) House at the Oakwood Tourney in Cottage Grove a few weeks ago. They both threw 370+ on the open holes (4,18).

One of our GMs came second in a distance comp with a flick that went 444 feet. A flick!

I (24 years old) lost in a putter driving contest to a local soon-to-be GM (49 years old) who competes and wins in MPO still. I put an XD about 320', he threw his another 25' or so. He just smiled and reminded me that he's been throwing putters since before I was born.

I've never seen him open up before, but after playing with him, I'd say Johnny Sias is around 350' to 375'. It may be farther, but I'm just not sure.

One of the locals on my course, 50+, crushes rocs 400ft and throws beast (old mold) even farther.

Ye Olde "how far do you throw" question.

I'm 52, and I can consistently throw about 350', so that's the answer from my perspective. Have I and can I throw further? -- yes (I wasn't a GM then) and I guess. I haven't had the need recently and when I'm on an open hole thats 550+ ft and I can just reach back for that something extra, I don't even know if I've thrown my max from 5 yrs ago (440') or 350' or 370'. A 200-ft upshot vs a 120-ft upshot is not much different to me. What I know is I've never even gotten close to the circle on that hole.

Put me down for 350'.
There are guys in my division who can crush me.

I'm 52 and can consistently go about 300 accurately and can throw about 350 on wide open holes. After the first round I drop down to about 250 accurately and 300 on wide open holes.

The short game is much more important. I'd take accurately setting up my upshot over big distance any day.

Just turned 60 last month. Last year, before shoulder surgery I could routinely get 300, on the course. Longest drives maxed a little over 325. This year I'm getting 275 regularly. But the old distance coming back. Slowly.

I play with a guy 10 years my senior and he puts them out to 300 with accuracy.

Last edited:
I'm 52 and can consistently go about 300 accurately and can throw about 350 on wide open holes. After the first round I drop down to about 250 accurately and 300 on wide open holes.

The short game is much more important. I'd take accurately setting up my upshot over big distance any day.

This describes my game pretty close except I'm 56. I also agree with the accuracy. A few years ago I worked on getting more distance and succeeded. But it shot the rest of my game to hell. So I went back to my old ways.
I enjoy throwing accurately more than throwing far.

I regularly throw in 325-350 going at about 80% trying to hit my lines... I can crush over 400 on open holes going hard but it takes its toll on me going 100%.. I can play all day going 80% and enjoy the game. Sometimes you just have to unleash :)... I am more happy with myself when I throw a 110 gram Hero 235 Xtra dog disc 240+ft and watch my dog catch it :)

From Minnesota I would say the 2 biggest grandmasters arms are Geno Laforge and Chris Porter(house). I would say they both throw close to if not over 450 ft.

do not let being 50+ define you. Both my distance and player rating have been at an all time high this year.

I agree. I've never had a big arm, but I now throw as far or a little farther than I ever have (max about 320'), and my player rating is about as high as it's ever been (920). I'll be 57 next month. I think the strongest part of my game is scrambling with my mids. If only I had the patience to practice my putting more often. :eek:

Latest posts