• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Greater Cincinnati Course info/updates (Cincy, N. KY, SE Indiana)

InnocentCrook

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I couldn't find a thread regarding new courses and updates for the Cincy area so figured I'd start one.

Some recent Cincy local DG news...

Grant Co. Park
A new 18 hole course is being constructed in Crittenden, KY at Grant Co. Park. There was a terrible 9 hole course at this park that never took in the early 2000's. Bad decisions led to a course that was poorly designed, wasn't maintained, and was pulled fairly quickly. Current leadership has done a better job across the board. 18 Prodigy baskets have been purchased and already delivered. Clearing started within the last month and they're hoping to have the course playable before year end. The county got Dan Bayless (owner of Disc N Dat) and Rod Angel involved with the design and planning which was a great decision from the get go.

Stonelick State Park
Way out east, past Osage Grove, in Pleasant Plain, OH there's a course going in at Stonelick State Park. Construction has already begun and there was a fundraising "Birdie Bash" recently. Based on what I've read, May 2020 looks to be the goal for completion. Looks like Kurt Lahm and the "Osage Chain Gang" are spearheading this effort.

Waller-Stephenson Mill Park
There's been talk of a course in Verona, KY at Waller-Stephenson Mill Park near the Walton Verona sports complex since way back in 2008 (maybe even before that.) The park is nothing but wooded space and very rarely sees people using the trails. Fred Salaz (Idlewild designer) mapped out an 18 hole course years ago but then the recession hit and everything stalled. Over the last year or two talk has increased but nothing has taken place as of this time. If/when it's complete, the course will be a mostly wooded tract with a nice size creek and some great elevation.

South Fork Park
Probably a ways off, but South Fork Park in Florence, KY is looking to add an additional 9 holes to bring the course to 18. I have no idea what kind of timeline is in place but there was a fundraiser this past weekend.

Grant County Park. Crittenden, KY

Quick little write up concerning the new Grant Co. Park course. Sounds like a lot of the install is complete and it should be playable within a week or two. Can't wait to get out there.

I went ahead and created the course page.
I'll try to get out there this weekend and get some photos and such.Grant County Park

Grant Co. Park is now playable. A small group of us got out and installed the last 9 baskets this morning. Teepads are in but no signage yet.

Wooded holes are rough but playable. They'll be a lot nicer after they have a chance to beat in a little bit.

Grant Co. Park is now playable. A small group of us got out and installed the last 9 baskets this morning. Teepads are in but no signage yet.

Wooded holes are rough but playable. They'll be a lot nicer after they have a chance to beat in a little bit.

Unless it is like some courses where the lack of keeping it trimmed will help the undergrowth take over and make the wooded holes unplayable. I mean not enough play happens at the course to help keep it trimmed.

The Stonelick course appears to be coming along nicely. Saw posts from the designers/builders on Facebook this past weekend with brand new Mach 7's being assembled.

They have done a wonderful job with general course maintenance and in general adding new holes/baskets at Osage...

...but some of those new baskets are just weird and don't add to the course. Especially the extra long postion on what used to be no15. That original long basket(450' ish tunnel shot) was perfect and should have stayed the gold long. Excellent risk/reward par3 for pro players, turned into a two mid shot par4.:gross:

Last edited:
I got a round in across the river this past weekend. I'd been wanting to check out the new back 9 at Johnson Hills and had a chance for an early AM round with my bro-in-law. What can I say other than "wow!". It's a beautiful area of woods with great elevation. It really reminded me of some of my favorite, more wooded areas of Banklick/Linc. Ridge. At 18 holes it's another quintessential Cincy area course right up there with the others. Just a great mix of wooded and open shots with fantastic elevation.

It's even a bit south of my place, so it's probably 1-1/4 hours drive from Cincy, but I'm hearing some word of a course going in at General Butler State Resort Park in Carrollton, KY. Knowing that park fairly well after many family reunions, I know there's some stellar land, it's just a matter of what area(s) they use. It may not be a huge daily draw, but I could see it getting a fair amount of play from folks travelling between Cincy and Louisville, especially given how close the park is to the interstate.

When I was young we always camped at Gen Butler. There are many good places on that land for a golf course.
I saw something on Facebook about it.

Johnson Hills is just another example of the disc golf paradise we have in this area. Friggin' amazing area! :thmbup:

With regards to Gen. Butler, I remember when they had some ski slopes out there, but were closed for good in the mid to late 90's. After that much time I'm sure the trails are grown over, but wouldn't a giant downhill ski slope bomber be a fun addition to the area? I know there's some spots on that property with views down to the Ohio River which would be great too.

It's probably years away, but I'm starting to hear some things about the possibility of a new course just down the road from Banklick/Linc. Ridge on the old golf course property. It sounds like the county was very impressed with the turnout at the Fox Run temp course that DiscNDat and the Nati organized. Who knows the level of truth to this, but I'm hearing that Kenton Co. is sick of Idlewild getting all the love and want to put in a course that can give it a run for it's money. Nothing better than a little friendly competition.

With regards to Gen. Butler, I remember when they had some ski slopes out there, but were closed for good in the mid to late 90's. ...

That's the only place I've ever skied. It was mid-to-late 80's probably, a work outing. Had some fun, but did not catch the bug. Would love to go back and play some disc golf there!

The first place I skied was Perfect North Slopes just across the river in Indiana. Coincidentally, Perfect North purchased a bunch of the lifts and snowmaking equipment from Gen. Butler when it closed. (At least that's what I've been told.)

I wonder if Perfect North would consider a seasonal pay to play disc golf course?......

The first place I skied was Perfect North Slopes just across the river in Indiana. Coincidentally, Perfect North purchased a bunch of the lifts and snowmaking equipment from Gen. Butler when it closed. (At least that's what I've been told.)

I wonder if Perfect North would consider a seasonal pay to play disc golf course?......
I'd be surprised if someone has not approached them about this already.

It appears the new course going in at General Butler State Park in Carrolton, KY will be called Three Rivers and will be an Avery Jenkins/Dana Vicich designed DiscGolfPark. The course will put to use some of the land that was previously their 9 hole golf course but will also utilize the surrounding wooded spaces to bring some diversity to the design.

I believe it is set to open in the next month or two but don't quote me on that. I can confirm that Disc N Dat already has a tourney scheduled to be played there in early Sept.

Latest posts