• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

GTFO of the cold

roggenb3

* Ace Member *
I'm heading to NC for a couple days, but planning on going South through GA or AL into FLA, then back up to NC through SC. Leaving next Friday 3/9, getting to NC on 3/13, and then leaving NC on 3/16 to head mostly straight back.

First stop after a full night of driving will be somewhere in TN, assuming the courses aren't all flooded to heck...something in the Nashville area. What's a good course around NSH for an early morning sunrise round?

Then on to Chattanooga. I was there on a work trip and really liked the city and was sad I didn't get time to visit Rock City. So I'll go do that and grab some BBQ.

After that I have no idea what I want to do or where to play. So help me out.

Disc-wise, I assume it's better to stay in GA between TN and FLA? I know there's a few really nice courses along I75 N of ATL. Is there anything along I 59 between CHA and Birmingham?

I don't really wanna go too far S into FLA - what are the best courses in the Tallahassee/Jacksonville areas? Any courses further south that are just so awesome it's worth a drive to Tampa or Orlando area? Anyone have any recommendations for cool non-disc stuff in/around the Apalachicola National Forest?

What's are the absolute must plays in SC? Should I stick to the coast or go through Augusta?

P.S. I love water shots - where are the courses with the best ones in FLA/SC?

P.P.S. Also, if anyone is into Urban Exploring and knows of cool spots anywhere down there, for sure let me know.

Last edited:
I'm little confused about your routes and dates. Where are you leaving from, and to? It looks like you're looking at a lot more places, than the number of days allows.

For what it's worth, if you like water shots, few places have as many as Trophy Lakes in Charleston, SC. On the downside, it's a long way from other very good and great courses, which you might string together in a tour. On the upside, Charleston's a great place to be, when you're not disc golfing.

I'm little confused about your routes and dates. Where are you leaving from, and to? It looks like you're looking at a lot more places, than the number of days allows.

I did mean Wed 3/14 for getting to NC, but also that's flexible - if I take longer it's nbd, just less time to hang with my friend there. Perhaps you just underestimate how much I can drive and how little I can sleep, lol. Leaving from Madison on 3/9, I'll be in TN by breakfast on 3/10.

So disc somewhere there, then hit up CHA that afternoon/evening, then drive a couple more hours before I need to sleep. Then I'll be up as early as I can manage on 3/11. Disc in either AL or GA, depending where I am, then drive the last 4-5 hours to Tallahassee area and play somewhere there. Then probably find a cheap hotel so I can get some real non-car sleep.

Which means that waking up on 3/12, I'll be in FLA already with 2 full days to spend between there and CHA, which is less than an 8 hour drive.

Addressing only the Tallahasee-Charlotte leg, Googlemaps shows me 2 routes---mostly backroads through Georgia to I-20, west of Augusta; and I-95 along the coast. It shows them the exact same time; the coastal route is about a hundred miles longer, less scenic.

If you take the coast, there are 2 courses right off I-95 exits, on either side of the SC/GA state line, worth paying: The Sarge, and Tom Triplett. Southeast Park in Columbia is also pretty good, and also very convenient to the interstate.

If you take the backroads route, you hit Augusta. That's 3 big courses at the IDGC, Langley Pond (borderline Top 10), and other gems.

And if you care, and coordinate it, you might swing backroads between Augusta & Charlotte, and visit us at Stoney Hill. It's by reservation, when one of us is home, and though I'm penciled in to be off work and home on 3/14, it's not certain. (Some nice water holes for you, there).

Otherwise, if you go through Atlanta and I-85, the update part of SC (Greenville-Spartanburg) has a cluster of very fine courses.

Addressing only the Tallahasee-Charlotte leg, Googlemaps shows me 2 routes---mostly backroads through Georgia to I-20, west of Augusta; and I-95 along the coast. It shows them the exact same time; the coastal route is about a hundred miles longer, less scenic.

And if you care, and coordinate it, you might swing backroads between Augusta & Charlotte, and visit us at Stoney Hill. It's by reservation, when one of us is home, and though I'm penciled in to be off work and home on 3/14, it's not certain. (Some nice water holes for you, there).

Interesting, I usually imagine that, choosing between two routes, the coastal one would be the more scenic. But I guess there's mountains inland...I think I will take that way through Augusta and skip Charleston.

I love driving backroads....What are the chances there'll be someone at home on 3/13? I'd love to play Stoney.

The coastal route is interstate, lots of traffic on I-95, billboards.....though there are a few stretches where the marshes open up, and are scenic. I'm a backroads guy myself---that ones through woods and farmland and small towns, nothing you'd travel to see, but not interstate, either.

I love driving backroads....What are the chances there'll be someone at home on 3/13? I'd love to play Stoney.

You'd have to check with me late next week, when I have a better idea of my schedule. I'll work it out if I can, and the weather permits.

Where in nc? Dg in nc?

Mooresville. My buddy and his gf dont play, so when I visit him I usually dont play much around there. But this time Im hoping to leave his place early Friday and spend that whole day playing around charlotte.

You'd have to check with me late next week, when I have a better idea of my schedule. I'll work it out if I can, and the weather permits.

Cool man, I'll shoot you a PM on here from my first stop (Waffle House, obviously) :)

These would be the courses that I would recommend in Northern Florida:

Tom Brown in Tallahassee https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8877

Magnolia in Live Oak https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1853

New World in Jacksonville https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8287

Further south in Florida: There are many worthy courses in the greater Tampa and Orlando areas. Debary has two 18 holers onsite and a nice DG store across the street. Turkey Lake has three 18 holers onsite. If it's water hazards you seek Tampa is the way to go. Cliff Stephens or Oldsmar come to mind but there are many options. Ocala has two really nice courses.

In Georgia, I would go out of the way to Play Hobbs Farm and Georgia Canopy Tours.

Have a safe and fun trip!

These would be the courses that I would recommend in Northern Florida:

Tom Brown in Tallahassee https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8877

Magnolia in Live Oak https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1853

New World in Jacksonville https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8287

Further south in Florida: There are many worthy courses in the greater Tampa and Orlando areas. Debary has two 18 holers onsite and a nice DG store across the street. Turkey Lake has three 18 holers onsite. If it's water hazards you seek Tampa is the way to go. Cliff Stephens or Oldsmar come to mind but there are many options. Ocala has two really nice courses.

In Georgia, I would go out of the way to Play Hobbs Farm and Georgia Canopy Tours.

Have a safe and fun trip!

Ahh...yeah, I've been debating in my head about doing some extra driving to play some Tampa courses - Cliff Stephens has been on my list of places to play for a loooong time. And I likely won't be back to FLA for a while (I hate humidity).

Have you played Etowah in GA yet? I almost played it when I was in Chattanooga but I don't like driving rentals that far.

Wondering how it stacks up to Canopy and Hobbs. It's fairly close to Hobbs so I bet I could make time for both. And both of those probably win over Canopy, even though that does look dope.

Ahh...yeah, I've been debating in my head about doing some extra driving to play some Tampa courses - Cliff Stephens has been on my list of places to play for a loooong time. And I likely won't be back to FLA for a while (I hate humidity).

Have you played Etowah in GA yet? I almost played it when I was in Chattanooga but I don't like driving rentals that far.

Wondering how it stacks up to Canopy and Hobbs. It's fairly close to Hobbs so I bet I could make time for both. And both of those probably win over Canopy, even though that does look dope.

Have not played Etowah yet. Hobbs is the 18th highest rated course in the country now. Georgia has a lot of good to great courses. Hope you get to Tampa.

Cool man, I'll shoot you a PM on here from my first stop (Waffle House, obviously) :)

In which case, I'm going to change my other recommendations. I'm tired of people visiting Stoney Hill in the middle of a tour of Great Courses of the Southeast. I'm going to recommend a bunch of really crappy ones, so for once we'll stand out.

IDGC's Steady Ed course a has a nice water shot and Langley has a couple, an David's spent some time retrieving discs from the pond at Stoney Hill.

Hobbs is a special course.

I promise you won't regret getting to those courses.

Last edited:
If I were going through Nashville and could only play one course it would be Cedar Hill or Seven Oaks. Sharp Springs and Two Rivers were also fun but not worth being your only stop in town.

If I were going through Nashville and could only play one course it would be Cedar Hill or Seven Oaks. Sharp Springs and Two Rivers were also fun but not worth being your only stop in town.

Thanks. I was looking at the courses around there and was leaning towards Cedar Hill. Between Cedar and Seven Oaks, which is more difficult? From looking at their pages I would guess Cedar Hill?

I have already played Sharp Springs on a previous trip - it was nice but crazy buggy when I was there.

^ Yeah, Cedar Hill is probably a little tougher and it is higher rated, but I really liked them both and if I had to choose one it would just come down to which one is closer to my intended travel route.

Latest posts