• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Guy with Hatchet is Ruining our local courses..SMH

I'm not saying you shouldn't call the cops and report the guy. My point is in the situation described its completely irresponsible to present the situation to law enforcement as a crazy or random guy in public wielding a weapon. It's obvious the guy was a disc golfer and wasn't a threat to anyone other than a couple branches.

The thing is, the object in question could be utilized as a weapon very quickly had the individual wielding it had been combative when confronted about their actions. I'm sure LEO's have no shortage of stories where a seemingly innocuous situation turned into a life threatening one in a hurry.

If you're bringing a hatchet out to the most popular course in town during broad daylight at peak playing time, that's at the least the sign of a self absorbed screwball whom society would probably better off if a couple of angry misandric women took that same hatchet to their nether regions, deep fried the severed appendage, and fed it to their dog.

So I'd have absolutely no problem with an alternate ending where an LEO shoots said individual dead because a small tree was blocking his hyzer line to the basket.

Good rule of thumb in general is that if your name isn't on the deed, you shouldn't be altering the property at all without permission.

Ya it's just hard cuz the place is literally home, it's in neighborhoods where I've been around for 20+ years, where me and friends had endless bonfires, went ropeswinging/fishing/ swimming. The place is literally my home in the woods since puberty so to think of it as owned by anyone seems silly lol, as me and my friends have inhabited the place probably more then anyone else in the last 2 decades.

Also it's weird considering laws now as an adult as... well laws just didn't seem to exist to us back in the day on this land. Being an adult is lame, rules and stuff... :p

I'm not saying you shouldn't call the cops and report the guy. My point is in the situation described its completely irresponsible to present the situation to law enforcement as a crazy or random guy in public wielding a weapon. It's obvious the guy was a disc golfer and wasn't a threat to anyone other than a couple branches. You can still call the cops on the man and report the crime you know that he is actually committing, instead of LYING to law enforcement and potentially creating a real dangerous situation.

My post did not suggest to tell the cops there was any threats or assaults. I suggested calling the police to report a guy running around with a hatchet. I don't really care what he is doing with it. If a guy is plinking trees with a .22 rifle in a park, I am probably not going to make the trees a primary part of my report either.

My question is how would you handle this and what can we do in the future to prevent course vandalism?

More private pay2play courses produces fewer hatchet-brandishing vandals. Having to pay for things besides meth and tattoos is like kryptonite to hatchet-brandishing vandals.

Was he carrying a bottle of Faygo?

wallpaper_20100317011533_676852472.jpg

That was my first thought as well.

Tell this guy if he's not wanted down in KC he can come up to MI and help clean up some of our neglected courses or poorly designed holes. I'm looking at you Holly Woods back holes and Kennsington....

Tell this guy if he's not wanted down in KC he can come up to MI and help clean up some of our neglected courses or poorly designed holes. I'm looking at you Holly Woods back holes and Kennsington....

Geez, I play those courses frequently. I think the course design of both hold up pretty well with the cross section of courses I have played across the country. I think both are among the best maintained in the State. If neglect and maintenance is a concern, I would gladly put you in touch with the people and clubs, who spend a ton of time maintaining, cleaning and repairing either course..........volunteering and on their own dime, of course. :|

Looking at this from another angle, how many times have we all thought about taking out that one tree/branch that ruins our line.

^ This is exactly the thing that should never be done. Get permission from the proper person before altering any course. This could be the course pro, the local club or the managing body. All work should adhere to their vision for the course.

Looking at this from another angle, how many times have we all thought about taking out that one tree/branch that ruins our line.

THOUGHT about it? Sure. Actually gone and done it without first getting permission? Nope (unless you're Brad Chipmunk … uh, Hamster … uh, Hammock.)

THOUGHT about it? Sure. Actually gone and done it without first getting permission? Nope (unless you're Brad Chipmunk … uh, Hamster … uh, Hammock.)

Of course not actually doing it, but we've all dreamed.

i've never understood the mentality of guys that break down small trees, bust off branches, etc., making permanent "improvements" to an existing course. If you're just going to cheat to better your score, just step out from your lie by a few feet and throw, don't cheat every other player that likes the challenge of the course just the way it is. F'ing morons.

Think I could deal with this guy lot better then the guy who ran after some disc golfer in my area with a chainsaw.

I agree with Jeffmonty about not understanding why people cut one branch to open a line they take. Currently playing one of the older courses in my home area and we are starting to see it grow in. How do you keep the course maintance simple and not cut new fairways? (lack of a better term) 10 years of growth starts encroaching on fairways. One person cuts a few limbs down and everyone screams about it. I personally have come to the conclusion of talking to the locals and getting feedback to what should be done and a good group size concences before even cutting a limb.

The thing is, the object in question could be utilized as a weapon very quickly had the individual wielding it had been combative when confronted about their actions. I'm sure LEO's have no shortage of stories where a seemingly innocuous situation turned into a life threatening one in a hurry.

If you're bringing a hatchet out to the most popular course in town during broad daylight at peak playing time, that's at the least the sign of a self absorbed screwball whom society would probably better off if a couple of angry misandric women took that same hatchet to their nether regions, deep fried the severed appendage, and fed it to their dog.

So I'd have absolutely no problem with an alternate ending where an LEO shoots said individual dead because a small tree was blocking his hyzer line to the basket.

1273775642650.png

The thing is it's in a neighborhood, where would the club be? How would I find out? The land owner is the county, no clue about any of that. Seems like a lot of hoops to jump thru to clean up 1 hole.

I guess I'll just talk with the dude that I see taking care of the place, pretty lame you gotta worry about breaking a law to do some damn landscaping. Ugh, laws and the ****boys who make them necessary.... so annoying lol.

How old are you?

Good rule of thumb in general is that if your name isn't on the deed, you shouldn't be altering the property at all without permission.

We had to sign individual liability waivers with the city before we could do any cutting/trimming.

As far as the op goes, hopefully he buried the hatchet with the guy :p

i've never understood the mentality of guys that break down small trees, bust off branches, etc., making permanent "improvements" to an existing course. If you're just going to cheat to better your score, just step out from your lie by a few feet and throw, don't cheat every other player that likes the challenge of the course just the way it is. F'ing morons.

Amen to this!!!

Geez, I play those courses frequently. I think the course design of both hold up pretty well with the cross section of courses I have played across the country. I think both are among the best maintained in the State. If neglect and maintenance is a concern, I would gladly put you in touch with the people and clubs, who spend a ton of time maintaining, cleaning and repairing either course..........volunteering and on their own dime, of course. :|

There are dead trees leaning on other trees at holly literally waiting to kill someone, I've been out there when one dropped a few holes over. The back holes also could use fairways. Not much but some lanes could be opened up. Black locust was slapped in and has not been receiving the maintenance it should considering it is packed all day every day and is p2p. The fairways are being swallowed up, tee pads encroached on by growth, and this is causing major backups due to every group teeing off looking for lost discs especially on 1,2,3,19. I was hoping when the russian olive purge happened on Tobo it was going to free up BL as well. I'm well aware of who is in charge of what but there is some degree of "things are fine" around here.
Seymore is a good example of how to maintain a course, kensington and holly are not.

^^^That's one p2p that wouldn't be getting my business.

I have an in on ONE course of all I consistently play (20 or so) that allows me to tune the vegetation and open terrain for new holes (usually 1 or no more than 2 a year-we agonize a lot on new placements) . Any other courses, the only work I do is on work party days, though I have trimmed face-high branches away from tee pads.

Last edited: