• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Had a disc returned!

foo_g

Birdie Member
Over my lunch hour I got a call from someone that found a disc with my name and number. I had played a casual round yesterday and thought I went home with a full bag, but I've been known to walk off without one from time to time.

Anyway, the guy that called said that they were about halfway through their round, so I drove up to the park to meet them and get my disc back. Since call backs are extremely rare for me, I decided to grab a big box of found discs on the way out the door to thank the guy and his friends. When I caught up to them, I saw that it was a group of 5 HS students. I called them all over and let each one take their pick of what they wanted. They were all pretty excited about it, especially since it looked like they each just had one disc to begin with. I told them that I was just happy that they decided to call and return it, so it worked out great for everyone involved.

The disc that they found was a Star Wraith that I had lost about a year ago after I grip locked and sent it somewhere near a tall stretch of weeds along a creek bank. I bought a few more after losing that, but the newer ones were a lot more overstable and didn't have near the glide as this one. I've spent countless hours searching for it ever since then, but hadn't come up with it. Someone else had, though, because it was still in really good shape and the group today had found it in a different area of the park.

I know these type of posts usually turn into a big argument before being buried in the landfill and that is not my intention. I just wanted to share my story in case anyone else finds themselves in the same position. Hopefully these guys will be playing a little more now because of it. It really made my day when they called to give me back my disc, but I think I felt even better by being able to reward them for their effort and unselfishness.

Last edited:
since you shared a happy story, i'll share my not so happy story:
i lost my echo star xcal that i had thrown a total of 6 times & never got it to fly like my previous xcal. it flew deep in some tall bushes & i spent many an hour bushwacking, but i never found it. i wrote it off thinking it was for the best since i couldn't get it to fly the way i wanted anyway. that was 6+ months ago. a few weeks ago i got the call that someone had found it & i told them to just drop it by the local dg store (they have a lost&found). i have been to the dg store a couple of times & looked through the l&f, but it has not been there. i asked the owner what he thinks happened & he says the guy prbly never turned it in because he checks id of people that claim discs. i texted the guy who found & he says he did. i hope the person who finally ended up with it figures out how to throw it.

Losing discs is inevitable.
I've come to accept that if I leave the course without a disc, it's gone and I don't expect to get it back.
If I do, it's a bonus.

i have nightmares about losing my wraiths. so much so it effects my game sometimes. effect not affect right? i think thats right. left a buttery star d on the course friday after my clown shoe friend distracted me because nothings ever my fault and even tho the group behind us found my girl and knew what she was they returned it after i left to avoid a beating mostly i think so all will be right in the universe once again. glad when anyone gets their discs back.

I would love to return a disc - the only plastic I've found has been blank. I'll get my chance I'm sure.

got a stack of used discs just for this reason. but now i do not ink so if i loose it its gonzo.

great return store now they will return a disc everytime they find one!!

i hope you told them that a choice of discs for everyone was not the normal reaction they will get.

I have an Axis I lost, then aced with the day after it was returned.

I want people to call, so I always call. Do unto others ...

I've only ever been called four times (and I've lost WAY more than that, unfortunately). Only once did I get the disc back -- the other three times it was too far to drive, and I really wasn't attached to the disc anyway, so I let it go. Actually got called twice for the same disc, by two different people.

Always call, rarely if ever meet anyone though. People usually say to keep them so my wife and kids now have a box of discs to use.

Leave many blank discs on the signs at the courses. Wonder if they make it home or if someone random grabs them for themselves...?

Good disc golf karma regardless, and good story as well.

I guess I've been lucky, I lost a disc in a lake at Yucaipa DGC and was called within an hour after the local dg club showed up for a monthly and someone went to the lake with a retriever to fish discs out and started calling people. Last Sunday at Morley Field I got a disc stuck in a tree, I finished the round and as soon as I start walking back to the tree with a pvc pole I received a call from someone that found the disc on the ground. Thanks to those good people that do the right thing.

That's always good to hear. I've been returning a lot of discs lately and I've been getting calls back too. Most of the calls have been from discs that I've sold to friends but still had my name on them. My friends appreciate it a lot. I don't believe in karma, it's just the right thing to do.

Finally got my first call back on a missing disc! Had a buddy borrow a disc from me and left the course before handing it back. He turned around and lost it a day later. Was pretty bummed as it was my only "Ace" disc and hated to lose it.

Got a call back maybe 4-5 days later and some guys found it during their round at the local course and called me. Was able to sneak out of work early and grab it from the back of his truck while he was playing. I stuffed a rolled up Thank You note and $7.00 (all I had on me) cash into his truck door handle. Cool move getting it back!

got a stack of used discs just for this reason. but now i do not ink so if i loose it its gonzo.

great return store now they will return a disc everytime they find one!!

i hope you told them that a choice of discs for everyone was not the normal reaction they will get.

This

Plus I have lost a disc at one course then found the same disc at a different course then lost it again at a different course. It just was a bad pro valk that always seemed to turn and burn and wind up in tall grass and water.

Also last disc I tried to return dude stood me up told me he would come by my house on his way to Rockford. I waited for 3 hours and he never showed up and wouldn't answer my texts or calls. So I guess he didnt want it back.

Last edited:
I got a call a week ago about a Z nuke that I had traded to a friend, who then sold it to a store, then was bought and lost, and the guy who found it called me. Went to go retrieve it from the town over and he won't answer any of my calls or texts. Maybe I'll get it back one of these days. Not super worried thought. If returend that will be 4 discs that I have gotten back from the great people of WV. Virginia and PA, I can't say the same.

Latest posts