• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Hard or Soft?

Which is more effective

• Total voters

Frolffiend

I just had an epiphany last week. I was playing a new course and this guy was banging his putts with a rock hard putter. I had a pretty floppy one. well i decided to try his putter and it felt different but good! so I went and bought a couple of my putter mold in a much harder plastic. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

I was way more confident and did not baby the putts. i just putt through the chains. anyone else have similar stories? opinions on hard putters vs soft ones?

Finding that right mix is a hard thing. I love stiff KC Aviars and Challengers that have softened up over a year or so. That is the perfect flex to me.

Also MVP's softs are really nice. They are bendy but maintain their shape and don't feel floppy. Just like the Aviars and Challengers.

i started using a firm putter about 8 months ago and i feel like it has helped a lot. i've also started using more of a pure push putt in the circle and spent a lot of time practicing, so it's not just the disc. but the right disc helps a lot.

I don't know. MVPs softs seemed a little "wiggly" as it heated up here. I actually went back to my Summits but I need to get a firm as my regular is even a little floppy now that it has warmed up. I to had also come to the realization that I don't want my putter to be able to wiggle at all going through my putting motion.

I had the exact same epiphany.

Went from a Soft Magnet to a Pro-D Banger GT. The lack of floppiness gave me a huge boost in confidence. More recently, I got a Soft Anode which has great feel in the hand, but a solid feeling rim. I think that it's the perfect compromise for me right now.

I thought my R-Pro Aviar was the bee's knees when I got it, but then I realized that it was too floppy for a consistent release, so I went back to DX Aviars and haven't looked back.

I like soft, but not floppy - so still stiff but with a grippy chain grabbing surface. Right now the SS or SSS voodoos are doing that for me

I thought my R-Pro Aviar was the bee's knees when I got it, but then I realized that it was too floppy for a consistent release, so I went back to DX Aviars and haven't looked back.

This is exactly what was happening, I would pull one right every 3 or 4 putts and I didnt know why. That is until I got a firm equivalent of my floppy putter. Putts go straight at the basket and bang the chains. I am really loving it.

It's all personal preference. But if you've found that a stiff putter works best for you, that's all that matters. One of our local players used Blowflys and they are damn near like throwing a disc made from balloon latex. (He even has a beat in one; which "beat in Blowfly" is a phrase that should make reality unravel by saying it.)

I really started to like Anodes. But in Central NY, we deal with too much unpredictable weather and the slickness was becoming a burden. So I had to switch back to trusty Wizard/Magic combo with gummy feel but a stiffer plate. That's my bread and butter.

I'm stiff putters all the way now too. I love my medium Wizards. It makes me feel like I'm actually pitching the putt instead of flopping them in.

I don't like putting with soft, tacky putters at all. Been throwing firm KC Pro and medium firmness DX Aviars for a few years and I've got no complaints. They're great putters.

Added a poll, Lets see what the consensus is. Another reason I switched is because when I look at the best players in my area, rarely do I find one throwing floppy putters.

Added a poll, Lets see what the consensus is. Another reason I switched is because when I look at the best players in my area, rarely do I find one throwing floppy putters.

How many of the top pros throw soft or floppy putters?

I like a nice firm plastic but I like them most when they get a few months on them and soften up just slightly.

How many of the top pros throw soft or floppy putters?

Exactly. that was what I was getting at. there is a reason that they arent using them. I found that the floppy one was holding me back. sure I would get some lucky saves because of the softness. but overall I was not a confident putter.

I use an Omega SS but I picked out ones on the firmer side and a Vibram Sole. I was using KC Pro Aviar but it seemed to bounce out sometimes whereas my softer putters would stick in the chains. I had a Gumbputt once that I used about 2 rounds. It was like throwing a wash rag.

Latest posts