• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Hard or Soft?

Which is more effective

• Total voters
When mine is soft I just can't get a good grip on it. Its like I'm just waving it around for a while waiting to get the right feel for it.

When it is hard I can really grip it and get a quick release off. And it sticks every time.

When mine is soft I just can't get a good grip on it. Its like I'm just waving it around for a while waiting to get the right feel for it.

When it is hard I can really grip it and get a quick release off. And it sticks every time.
So, so wrong out of context.

Soft, even on long putts I don't put that much power into it where its going to flex.

R-pro aviars for day rounds, glow dx for night. I use both when I practice putt and after a bazillion or so putts the r pro just works better for me. I could hold my own using the dx glow and probably not suffer too much if any on the scorecard, but the softer putter just feels better.

^this is what I am thinking. beginners feel more comfortable with something softer, as you get better a harder putter will really benefit you.

Amazed at the amount of unintended sexual innuendo in this thread, lol
I prefer hard. Just makes me feel more confident when I slam it into the basket.

It's all personal preference. But if you've found that a stiff putter works best for you, that's all that matters. One of our local players used Blowflys and they are damn near like throwing a disc made from balloon latex. (He even has a beat in one; which "beat in Blowfly" is a phrase that should make reality unravel by saying it.)

I really started to like Anodes. But in Central NY, we deal with too much unpredictable weather and the slickness was becoming a burden. So I had to switch back to trusty Wizard/Magic combo with gummy feel but a stiffer plate. That's my bread and butter.

I use a "Beat-in Blowfly" if the basket is on a hill or if there is a chance my regular putter could roll or bounce a long way from the target (if I were to miss). The Blowfly is great when you need something that sticks.

I prefer soft, but as BCR said, not "too floppy for a consistent release."

OP mentions that using the harder putter, he "putted through the chains" and "didn't baby putts." I agree you'll hit more putts that way, but I don't see why you can't do that with a softer putter.

That being said, if for whatever reason, you have more confidence with disc A than disc B, you'll probably throw disc A better than disc B more times than not. Confidence is a big part of the game, and a HUGE part of putting.

I have had both soft and hard putters bounce off the pole and out. I prefer a soft material in a stiffer material. It's hard to explain, but the putter I use (Evo Magic) has a soft feel but it will not flex during a throw. So I voted for a blend.

I have a bunch of putters from different companies and hardness and the one I always go back to my FLX ESP Challenger. I want to get a couple more here pretty soon.

I agree I used to used sorta softer Yeti Aviars but i chained out alot more than I would've liked to and I switched to a harder S.E. beadless aviar and started adding a little loft to my putts and now I make 90-95% of my putts inside the circle and alot more consistent outside the circle as well...this was all figured out by a pro who seen me throw 3-4 putts to start off the round :D

I like a firm structured putter with a chalky surface. I currently use Aviars for this duty. Tried soft Magnets and Focus, but way too inconsitant due to the floppiness. I also don't like that soft putters cloverleaf on the top plate.

Latest posts