• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Hatchet, opinion and profile pic

My favorite disc, FWIW. Controllable, understable sweetness that allows me to hyzer flip laser beams down the fairway. I'm 62, and it makes me feel like a 50-yr-old kid again. :)

I replaced the Fury with a Hatchet already some time ago. I think it is more consistent with its' flight. It is definitely US and once it's beat in, it will flip over even from a hyzer.

I've got one VIP for straight hyzer flips / controlled turnovers and one TP for uphil turnovers / rollers.

Thanks to everyone's input here, I snagged a TP Hatchet, and this beauty from Disc Golf Store showed up today:

B2Hr5KXCYAABOsT.jpg

It's 166 grams, and it feels a little gummy. To be honest, it feels more like opaque VIP than TP, but that isn't a huge deal.

Took it for about 4 throws against my Fury (couldn't do too much, had the little one with me), but initial impressions are that a) it bombs and b) it is more forgiving than the Fury. For example, on one toss I released it late, and instead of crashing and burning like the Fury would, it just held a long turnover line. On another I gave it too much hyzer, but instead of going nose up and stalling out like the Fury, it just cruised on the hyzer line, then flipped to flat really late before fading out gently.

On the whole, I am excited to give this a run as my workhorse control driver. It seems to fly similar lines to my G-FD, but I will be able to know a little more once I get it on the course tomorrow.

And my last thought: It really seems like it will beat into what the Fury is when fairly fresh, which will be really nice. I can definitely see bagging a couple of these once I wear this one in.

Wanted to give some more impressions on the Hatchet now that I have a few rounds with it under my belt.

I love it.

My initial findings that it was more forgiving than the Fury are still true. In fact, the Fury is out of the bag, and the Hatchet is now the workhorse. I can hyzer flip it for easy distance, and even when I get the nose up or miss my release point it still doesn't stray too far off line. Even toward the end of the round, when the Fury would give me fits, the Hatchet is flying true.

I've also had some really nice anny lines that will hold to the ground with it, which is useful when the line doesn't allow a turnover shot.

On the whole, I really am surprised more people aren't throwing this or talking it up more. It has a great mix of stability and glide, and it really holds a line for a long time. I've maxed out with it at about 325 or 330 so far on golf lines, which may not sound like much but is killer for me. There were quite a few times today where I was able to reach for my putter as a second shot instead of a mid, and that is a good feeling.

All in all, good stuff from the Hatchet. Throw one. :thmbup:

All in all, good stuff from the Hatchet. Throw one. :thmbup:

I agree with everything you've said. It's a great disc for a lot of shots.

The only problem I'm having is overlap between the Hatchett, the Escape, and an S-line FD. I often carry all three because they're all great discs, but I have trouble deciding which to throw way too often.

The only problem I'm having is overlap between the Hatchett, the Escape, and an S-line FD. I often carry all three because they're all great discs, but I have trouble deciding which to throw way too often.

Funny, I had those same three discs in the bag for a short time. Replaced the Escape with a G* Teebird for less overlap.

Hatchet is easier to turn than the S-FD, less likely to pull out of an anny, and more affected by headwinds. S-FD is more straight-stable, tends to pull out of a high anny, and handles headwinds pretty well.

So yes, there is some overlap, but it is usually not hard to choose which disc to throw. Trouble right: throw the S-FD. Trouble left: Throw the Hatchet. Need to hit a straight tunnel: figure out whether hyzer-flip-to-straight or throw-flat-and-hard is working better that day. :)

Funny, I had those same three discs in the bag for a short time. Replaced the Escape with a G* Teebird for less overlap.

Hatchet is easier to turn than the S-FD, less likely to pull out of an anny, and more affected by headwinds. S-FD is more straight-stable, tends to pull out of a high anny, and handles headwinds pretty well.

So yes, there is some overlap, but it is usually not hard to choose which disc to throw. Trouble right: throw the S-FD. Trouble left: Throw the Hatchet. Need to hit a straight tunnel: figure out whether hyzer-flip-to-straight or throw-flat-and-hard is working better that day. :)

This has been my finding as well. Plus, I am consistently putting the Hatchet 30 feet further than the FD, so that plays into my decisions a lot. For me, I can get them to run similar lines (G - FD mostly) but will use the Hatchet for the definite turning lines.

My OS complement right now is a 2nd run C-FD. I just can't get an Escape up to speed consistently enough to justify it having a spot, even in Lucid Air. I would like to find something in the same speed range as the Hatchet, but the higher the speed the more trouble I have with OS stuff. Suggestions, or stick with the C-FD?

Vibram Ascent has that reliably OS fairway slot for me. I get more distance than the C FD, and it beats wind better than the Stag.

Suggestions, or stick with the C-FD?
What about 3rd run C-FD as opposed to 2nd? The third run's have less HSS than the 2nd, but still have pretty decent fade which should translate into you being able to push them out a bit further.

What about 3rd run C-FD as opposed to 2nd? The third run's have less HSS than the 2nd, but still have pretty decent fade which should translate into you being able to push them out a bit further.

Good point. You know my baby arm, gonna toss the 3rd run back in the bag this weekend.

Do it...my second run has only come out for some overhand stuff lately, that green third run on a tiny hyzer kills it all day.

So ... I am looking for a headwind fighting counterpart to the Hatchet. I know there has been mention of the Escape. Wondered if there are other Trilogy discs that would fit the slot?

I was going to suggest Saint Pro, and there it is in your signature lineup. That is probably your best bet in the 8/9 speed category unless you want to go to a faster disc.

I am open to a slightly faster disc, too. Need something that I can throw into a Kansas wind, but not too beefy. Tried an Air Enforcer and that didn't work. Can toss the Hatchet 320ish. Would like a similar feel to the Hatchet.

Latest posts