• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Headed to Michigan!

I will be in Muskegon, MI from Oct 23 thru the 25 for a wedding. I was planning to play Flip City on Sat. morning and maybe Sun. morning. Anyone intrested in helping out a fellow golfer find his way around?

Have fun in michigan! you will have fun im sure! Ive never been that direction so im not sure what its like up there, but the DG by Grand Rapids is good :)

I'm originally from IL, but moved out to Denver a few years ago. I've played a few courses in Grand Rapids before but never made it up to Flip. As much as I love mountian golf, I do miss the midwest courses. What a difference the elevation has on plastic.

Mile High Golfer I would love to show you around but I'm on call all weekend. The only chance of me getting out would be on Sunday in the GR area, or maybe whitehall. You should definitely hit up Whitehall on the way up, and maybe the Fremont course at some point. There is also a good course in Sawgatuck. Let me know if you need some more info or are goin to be in the GR area at all.

Funny that you mention Whitehall. That was one of the first courses I played in that area. While playing out in Colorado I meet a guy from Michigan. We talked a bit and he mentioned that his Dad designed it. What a small world we live in.

I'll be in Muskegon for most of the trip. I'll have my own vehicle to sneak away and play some golf Saturday morning till about 1 o'clock. On Sunday I have to head back to Chicago in the early evening. I wouldn't mind playing Whitehall again on Sunday. If I remember right.. it was a tight wooded course with the parking lot kinda separating the course.

I missed you by a week. Last weekend my gf and I took a roadtrip from Chicago to play Flip and the Ludington Courses. If you have time, try to get to the Beauty/Beast/Goliath complex and Leviathan, some beautiful and fun courses. If you play Whitehall, there are now 27 holes, I guess 9 of them are pretty new, they were still a little rough but more challenging and longer than the original 18.

If challenged on time skip Whitehall and play Branstrom in Fremont, just between Flip and Muskegon. In no way should you waste your time with McGraft in Muskegon. The Ludington courses might be a bit far for your time restraints.

Best bet (and you may want to do this) play Flip as many times as possible..and make sure you tell Bill at Flip you are a DGCR member. :)

If challenged on time skip Whitehall and play Branstrom in Fremont, just between Flip and Muskegon. In no way should you waste your time with McGraft in Muskegon. The Ludington courses might be a bit far for your time restraints.

Best bet (and you may want to do this) play Flip as many times as possible..and make sure you tell Bill at Flip you are a DGCR member. :)

I've played McGraft, Whitehall and one other in the area, but I would prefer to play something new. All the times I've been to that area I can't believe I never made it to Flip.

The goal is to play a morning round on Sat. and Sun at Flip. Thanks for the advice and I will let Bill know.

Last edited:
Just sent a PM your way. The last time I tried to go to Flip my car died with Timg in it. I'm almost scared to try it again. But to show someone from out of state around, I'll certainly attempt the trip. :)

Hey man, have a good time. No advice on Michigan but just wanted to give you a heads up if you ever come up I-70 to play any of the mountain courses in Summit, Eagle, Lake or Garfield counties let me know. I'm always up for guiding.

Thanks Klay. I think think our mountain season is coming to an end quick, but I'll have to take you up on it next year. I played a handful of the mountain courses this year. Aspen, Leadville, Glennwood, Steamboat, and maybe a few more I can't think of right now.

If your ever in Denver hit me up and we could go throw a few rounds.

Well I fly out tonight. Should arrive in Michigan Friday evening. The weather looks bad for Saturday, but Sunday looks good. If it's crappy on Sat, I'll probably bail on golf and drink some Bells somewhere and wait the storm to pass. Unless that is... anyone wants to throw in the rain. HaHa

mmmm.... Bell's. Hope they get there distribution west of the Mississippi worked out some time. Even with all the yummy beers out here, I still ache for a double cream stout or oberon.

mmmm.... Bell's. Hope they get there distribution west of the Mississippi worked out some time. Even with all the yummy beers out here, I still ache for a double cream stout or oberon.

I got a case of Oberon in the basement. It's sitting next to a sixer of 3rd coast ale, their porter, and ipa. :D:D:D

I used to always bring back a case of bells as my carry-on before the days of 'no liquids on planes'. Maybe the terrorists have really won...

I love their double cream stout. Sooooo good.

Mile High, Have fun out here this weekend. If you are coming out to the GR area let me know via PM with a # and I'll get at you.

Latest posts