• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Heading from NoVA to Blacksburg, VA down 81

CACOVA

Going to pick up the boy from Virginia Tech on Tuesday morning and want to play along the way down 81 - I plan to hit Golden Hills Wednesday morning but need some suggestions for the trip down...66 to 81...

Ideas, suggestions?

Stop in at Westover Park in Harrisonburg. It's not far off 81 and is a solid course.

Take 460 and hit up all the courses on that stretch, in bedford and Lynchburg. Then take 29n and play walnut creek. It would be a little out of your way, but you would have a good couple days disc golfing.

The I-81 corridor makes a nice DG road trip. I'd definitely recommend Golden Hills (like you mentioned) and as had been recommended to me, check out Sherando Park in Stevens City, VA. It's not a long course, but it's got nice variety.

maurertown is probably better than any of the courses already mentioned on 81 despite only being 9 holes.

there's also a pretty new one in winchester - jim barnett- don't know much about it though.

if you can get permission then signal view outside strasburg is a lot of fun.

staunton is good but navigation was iffy when i was there last.

if you take 29 to 64 to 81 instead of 66 to 81 you can hit walnut creek which is better still- you could then continue down 29 to hit either bedford (falling creek) or lynchburg (liberty u.) before cutting over the mountains to 81. if you've got pretty much a whole day this would be my choice.

Thanks for all of the ideas!

I have heard good things about Signal View in Maurertown, and may stop there.

Does anyone have an opinion about the Kiwanis course in Staunton? (is this the course you were referring to ?)

May have to backtrack and hit Sherando Park...

Keep the ideas coming....:clap:

Ended up playing...

...Signal View (twice from the middle tees) on Tuesday on my way down to VT and then Golden Hills and Randolph Park on Wed.

Signal View was very nice - nicely thought out, lonely, and fun to play.

Golden Hills kicked my butt (physically - up and down those hills, going the wrong way a couple of times...) but was great as always - one of my favorites!

Randolph Park was beautiful - a good mix of wooded and open holes (glad I printed the map!) - reminded me of Franklin Park if there were wooded holes at Frank....

Thanks for the suggestions...

Latest posts