• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Heading out to Reno/Tahoe in March

MoonT4

Birdie Member
I am new to this site and have found it to be extremely helpful in a lot of ways. I am also rather new to disc golf, only really been playing for a little over a year and have yet to par a course. Best round ever was at Cat Hollow in Round Rock, TX I shot a 2 over. I would say my home course is East Metro in Manor, TX as it is only about 10 minutes from the house and my best round there is 8 over. Other courses I have played locally are once at Pease, this past weekend, what an adventure, that course is a lot of fun, but the wind played havoc on all of us that day. I have played Circle C a few times and Wil Co a couple times, both are outstanding.

Anyway to my original point, I will be in Reno for a bowling tournament starting March 19 and will have some time on Saturday and Sunday before heading back to play a round if anyone knows of a good course out there.

I see where this has been viewed over a dozen times, does the fact that thier is no replies mean there are no course out in the Reno/Tahoe area, or does it mean since I am sucha newbie to the sport still that nobody is interested in giving me advice on a course to play in the area. Or could it be, that the courses are closed that time of year?

I thought there was a course caleed Zephyr Cove or something like that in Tahoe. Just do the map browser and it should show you what is there. I know there is at least one or 2 there you could play. But March could still have a lot of snow in the mountains. You might have to play something down in Reno where there will be less snow.

I've been out in Tahoe in mid-February the last couple of years. I was skiing, not discing though. There was at least 3' of snow on the ground. Reno was pretty clear though. I'm pretty sure the tahoe courses would be pretty much unplayable in March.

A local would know better though....

all 6 courses in Tahoe won't be playable yet. Reno has a dinker 9 holer that is pretty whack, but it's better than nothing. Theres a slim chance Bijou will be playable. Theres 10+ courses an hour from here. Send me a pm if you want a guide or to give you up to date conditions. I'd be down for a trip down the hill to some no snow courses. As far as the above post mentioning Zephyr, we now have 2 new courses that blow zephyr out of the water which is saying alot because zephyr is awesome. Tahoe Vista and Markleeville.

Last edited:
I too am available if you want someone to play with. The Reno course is only a couple of miles from the National Bowling Stadium so you can hit this one many times. It is nothing spectacular, but better than nothing. I usually play Truckee dozens of times each winter, but the snow has been relentless this year and is currently too burried to play.

If we get some warm weather between now and then, Truckee and Markleeville may be playable as well as Bijou, but I doubt that Zephyr or Tahoe Vista will be as they are on moutain sides.

Like Elevated Plastic, I try to head down to the Sacromento area, or the foothills for full day outings.

If ya come down to Sacramento here's the two best:
Shady Oaks:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1804
Rocklin:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=267

If your coming from the Reno side you'll want to hit up Grass Valley, the Penn Valley and Auburn courses are quite nice too:

Grass Valley:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1148
Penn Valley:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=405
Auburn:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=715

Hit me up if you need more detals.

Thanks for the advice and information. I would really enjoy meeting some locals and being shown around and get in atleast one game while out there. Both of my brother in laws play aswell, but as of right now, only one of them will be coming out there with me, the other hasn't found out if he will be able to get off work to go. I am planning on leaving on Wednesday morning to head out there and should arive sometime Thursday, Friday the 19th and Saturday morning I will be bowling, but Later Saturday afternoon or even Sunday would be good times to throw some disc. I am not sure how to send and or receive PM's on here yet, but will attempt to figure it out.

Got my plans finalized, will be leaving for Reno on March 17, should arrive sometime the evening of the 18th, as we are leaving in the early AM on Wednesday. Bowl Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. Anyone want to hook up for a round or two, in the Reno/Tahoe area please PM me with info to contact you once out there, and information on course/s that we might be able to play or that your willing to meet me at and show me around. My brother in law may come out and play also. Looking forward to playing atleast one course maybe a few while out there, it will be much cheaper than gambling, and I am sure I will enjoy it more.

Thanks

Latest posts