• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hello all New to DGC and DG

PyroLionheart

Hi all New to DiscGolf here from being a regular ball golf player. And took a while learn my swing in golf. So question is what's best way to improve my throwing so my discs don't break hard left about halfway in flight. I'm a right hand back hand thrower. Oh and also how to best adjust putting when close to basket seem to either over throw or under throw by two disc spaces the couple times been out be practicing.

Put the Wraith away for a little bit. It's like learning to hit a driver before you can control your PW. I like my Colt (150g) and everyone seems to like the VRoc. Start small and work up. 100' straight most times, move back. Else move up. Don't develop bad habits you'll need to break later.

Get a cheapo practice basket and putt daily. Putting is highly individualistic (like BG), experiment.

Most importantly, have fun. DG has completely replaced BG in my limited spare time

That's what I did. Still have three Leopards in my Innova bag (150, 162, 172g). They're as fast a disc as I can reliably control (think 5W) and generally go where I aim them. No use getting an extra 50' if I'm pitching out from deep rough.

Like BG, follow through is everything. Slow. smooth back swing, accelerate through release.

Last edited:
The Leopard would be worlds better to learn to throw. The first thing that most new players learn as they start to get better is that rated speed on a disc doesn't always mean more distance. It more references having to throw the disc faster and with refined technique. Something to think about is that discs considered "putters" today used to be drivers.

Don't be afraid to throw slower discs now, especially while you're learning since they'll expose form flaws much more easily allowing you to progress faster and with less headaches. Unfortunately, they will be more frustrating initially because of the less forgiving nature. It won't take long to figure out how to throw them correctly though so don't get too stressed. This site's technique forum is filled with knowledgeable and helpful members that will help you progress properly. Don't be afraid to utilize the resource.

The biggest thing to remember, while you're ironing out your technique is to have fun. Welcome to the sport.

One last suggestion, from a fellow newcomer to DG, find a doubles league and get involved early. I played solo for my first year and regret it more than any other sports mistake I have made.. Dubs improved my game immediately. Great advice (if I asked), option to throw other's discs and watch how they shaped lines. Instant gratification.

One last suggestion, from a fellow newcomer to DG, find a doubles league and get involved early. I played solo for my first year and regret it more than any other sports mistake I have made.. Dubs improved my game immediately. Great advice (if I asked), option to throw other's discs and watch how they shaped lines. Instant gratification.

This^^^^. You will get to see all kinds of skill levels and ways of throwing you might not realize are possible.

And also, read through this thread. It greatly helped me clean up my game. DX Plastic is your friend at this stage of the game.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32790

Thanks. :). So would the Leopard be a better driver to start with?

Absolutely.

I will double down on "play some league rounds.". Many leagues allow you to play individual weeks without requiring you to join for an entire season.

Last edited:
The leopard is like a 4 iron. You can get solid distance with it with practice, but also finesse in a nice accurate shot, or even a little bump and run!

Putting is all personal. Everyone has different styles, everyone is a little different. Only way to get better is to practice. Personally I like having a stack of the same putter. I've got a bag with 8 classic aviars in it I take to the yard and just putt repeatedly with. It's not for everyone though, some people like to practice one putt, then think about what they did on their way to the disc. I would recommend practicing straddle putts and odd lies though. Your gonna find yourself behind, under, and even in an obstruction to the basket, and it comes in handy being able to putt from one knee in odd positions.

Hit the form section, and work on one thing at a time. I've been playing for several years now and still struggle with form a lot. And above all, have fun! It's the oldest game in the world if you think about it, throwing things at other things and trying to hit them, we just use different objects now.

Latest posts