• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hello from Florida

KMG365

Hi All,
I posted this as a response in another thread about newbies and high speed drivers, but thought it probably fits here as my introduction as well.

OK, I freely admit this is exactly what I did when I bought my beginners' bag at Clearwater Disc Golf back in May. My little beginner bag contained everything a newbie needs (Aero DX, Stingray DX, and a Leopard DX). After playing several rounds over the next few weeks, and reading the Innova brochure which explained the numerical rating system on the discs, being a typical newbie I ran back to the store and started building my arsenal of high speed drivers which I truly thought that would improve my distance. In my defense, the Innova brochure as well as the store's website and in-store racks list these high speed discs as "maximum distance drivers." What's a newbie supposed to think...? Imagine my surprise when I could drive my Aero almost as far as I could throw my new 13 rated Groove. Of course my first thought was, "Damn, I'm not worth a S#!+ at this sport -- so I briefly (four weeks) gave up.

One afternoon I decided to go to a little seldom used local course and play a round, and was once again bitten by the bug. That was about the time I discovered this forum and read multiple threads regarding working with only your putters until you were comfortable with your form. It was the best information I could have found. Now I go out to the course or the field with only an Areo, an Aviar DX and a Star Coyote, although I seldom throw the Coyote at this point. So my new bag sits in my closet loaded with eight high speed drivers, and a few mid ranges as I use only the three discs listed above and no longer even carry a bag. Hopefully in the future I may be able to use the bigger discs, but I have a feeling that I will never be a "big arm" and that's OK. I'm still working on my form which is coming along slowly, but surely.

Welcome.

Buzzz's and Meteor's are good discs for the types of course's that we have in SW Florida. I like them in the grippy and durable Z and esp plastics. If you make it down to PC, hit me up if you need a guide.

Don't worry about bombing it for long distance right now. It takes field work, and getting your body mass into the throw and speed. Most of our courses are of the short and technical type anyway.

Welcome, from a fellow newbie. I don't have a huge arm either but I'm not bothered. Most courses I've aren't big and open where a huge arm is useful. Accuracy will go a long way.

Latest posts