• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Help make a better Wizard

I think adding a touch of evo would be better then softening the disc. If they wanted a softer wizard they could get it. A little dome is a small sacrifice if it works well and makes the discs last longer.

I don't think he ever ran any with the glow blend. He ran out of the plastic before he was able to do that. I hope he gets more of that plastic in soon...

As for why tweak it? To support the players he sponsors. Some of them complained that these beat in a bit fast so he is trying to find a way to make them more durable while retaining the flat shape and the stable flight characteristics.

So, players he "sponsor" are complaining about having to replace their free discs too often? Does not add up. I probably hit more trees 30' off the tee and concrete more than most "pros" do, and im not complaining about having to pay $8 for a nice feeling disc.

I enjoy seeing big pieces missing, gashes, roughness, and general mistreatment in my wizards... I have never ever had to take one out of my bag because it was just too fugly. But this is just an opinion and I enjoy the whole spectrum of wizards. Also, mine beat in slowly as I give each of them their time at bat, especially the evos.

Now I just recently figured out the rareness situation with clear evo... Remind me, someone, why there cannot be any more of these made?

i think they are just harder to make nice so lots of xouts.....They want to mass produce them and the clears take time to fix flashing issues.

i think they are just harder to make nice so lots of xouts.....They want to mass produce them and the clears take time to fix flashing issues.

Yep, they had a hard time making them mold consistently and the flashing was a real pain to remove, all of which resulted in too many x-outs. They were pretty much losing money on those things.

I purchased one of these Wizard g9i from the 'nati today. I almost missed them because they were just in a spare box on the floor. Boom... there was like 10 g9i's in it. Unfortunately, I only picked up one... and my buddy got 2 of them.

Got to play a putter only round this evening with it and another one of my old wizards. These things are money off the tee.... took like 2 tree hits without a mark. And... they are so buttery smooth. If they weren't so rock hard, I would use this thing as a pillow.

Thanks gateway for exceeding my expectations!

I like that the wizard gets beat up, I dont mind buying a new one every couple months, they just rotate around in my bag one newish, one beat, and one beat to crap one for layups. Just make sure dave never changes the ss formula its pretty perfect.

Preserve the flat top. Don't get me wrong, I love my Evo, but there isn't a need for two types of Wizards with no low speed glide. They just drop like a rock at the end of their flight, The evo Wizard seems to be very un-Wizardy. That would be a disappointing trend to continue.

i am just going to throw this out there:

how about a super flat wizard that is kind of chalky and tows the line right at the flex standard. it could be the new medium or g9i.

i'd buy 20. at least.

The pink throwbacks they made a year ago are the best I've seen. They were flatter, ss, and wear well. If he could run flat ones like this in a firmer, 25 pound flex test plastic, they will sell. They were so great, nearly all of team prodigy was using them at the memorial in Phoenix. (They didn't have putters available yet)

People that don't mind dome don't know what a wizard is supposed to be. Hopefully 2014 will see gateway with a bunch of firm runs again.

What I want is a run of stupid overstable Wizards, so I can have a nice utility Wizard for major headwinds and throws where I need it to fade really hard. I also want Gateway to start running Wizards in a Champion/Opto type plastic.

Toss some metal flake in there. So that when they chunk you can see the sparkles on the inside.

Toss some metal flake in there. So that when they chunk you can see the sparkles on the inside.

Best idea yet.

I think he should still make G9i's and let those of us who throw them until they break in to match what the ER25 are when new, firmness-wise, before competing with them have our fun.

Last edited:
I really hope they will make Mediums again that will pass the flex test. I would definitely buy them up.

You guys can just buy the soft Wizards... The plain softs are plenty stiff and I would even guess some are stiffer than the ER 25 Wizards. They're not really soft, but yeah not as stiff as the old firms or the G9i.

What I want is a run of stupid overstable Wizards, so I can have a nice utility Wizard for major headwinds and throws where I need it to fade really hard. I also want Gateway to start running Wizards in a Champion/Opto type plastic.

Yeah, what he said. I use a counsil of wizards for everything at medium midrange length and closer, but it's hard to trust any of them in wind. The more overstable the better.

I'm sitting on a small stack on never been thrown medium wizards if any one wants to acquire - pm me.

i would dig a consistent shoulder. i have some serious domey wizards and some that are pretty flat. the low profile ones are so perfect for putting. i don't know if that's how they were originally, but they feel awesome.

I spoke with Dave at Gateway tonight to get ready to place another G9 order. He mentioned to me he was trying to tweak the plastic blend to make these a bit more durable. I've been throwing mine for a solid month now and I don't see any rapid wear, but I do understand that some people have had big chunks of the disc taken out by unfortunate hits on concrete. Dave says this is because the discs are so firm that when they come in contact with another really hard surface they just chunk up. He's not happy with that because he wants the G9s to be sort of a step up from the sure grip (base) plastic Wizards.

He threw out some ideas on the phone tonight and gave the pros and cons of them. I want to try and repeat what he told me and get feedback from the users here. Key word is try because Dave knows a lot more about the materials and disc tech than I do so often times he mentions things that I don't understand.

One of the solutions he had was to throw in more of another chemical that would make the discs a little softer. The plus side is that this will prevent the chunking when hitting hard surfaces like concrete and will provide additional grip, but at the same time the discs will as a result also be a little softer. I know one of the big points of the G9s was how firm they were.

Another idea he threw out was to try and blend in a little of the Evo plastic into these to give them some of the durability of the Evo Wizards. The downside to that is that Evo plastic tends to cool with a bid of dome to it, which is why the Evo Wizards are a bit domey. He likes that the G9s are flat and wants to preserve that, so he'll just try to do it and see how they come out. If they do end up coming out with a bit more dome, is that a deal breaker for you guys in exchange for more durability?

Last but not least he considered adding some glow to the mix. Not for durability but just for the sake of them being glow. He said he has two different glow compounds - one that is really bright but doesn't last long, and another one that is a bit dimmer but lasts longer. He plans on mixing both of them into the G9s.

So again, let's hear your feedback about what you want from a future rendition of the G9. Keep it the same? Try to get more grip? Try to make them more durable? What is important to you guys, and what changes would make it a deal breaker? Dave's open to suggestions if you have any.

I have in my possession, 4 of the greatest wizards ever made. They have over 4 years of wear on them and they still fly like a wizard. They don't chunk up like the recent G9's that they tried to create. These things are magical. The plastic feels like CT Challengers in terms of plastic. Have a nice flat top to them as well. I keep telling Dave I would send one of them down there for him to replicate. These things are amazing and hands down the best putter I have ever owned.

Latest posts