• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HELP!! Might get Mach 3 baskets on new course

If you're spending money putting up a course and putting any baskets in besides 3-tier Chainstar Pros or T1 & newer Prodigies, you're hurting your end result.

If you actually spend money on something new without the top chastity belt, you should be removed from decision making positions altogether.

Hard to imagine how the game muddled along all these years without a basket designed specifically for the putting style of some top pros.

Hard to imagine how the game muddled along all these years without a basket designed specifically for the putting style of some top pros.

No it isn't. It's progression. Go ahead and build a tone pole course if that suits you, but don't expect anybody to care why you've eschewed modernity when better examples are available at essentially the same cost.

No it isn't. It's progression. Go ahead and build a tone pole course if that suits you, but don't expect anybody to care why you've eschewed modernity when better examples are available at essentially the same cost.

I appreciate the jump from perfect usable baskets to tone poles to emphasize your point, but it is kind of lost on me. My point in this thread has been, that all players on a course use the same baskets, all are faced with the potential shortcomings of those targets. New baskets have shortcomings as well. They might work better for your putt, but maybe not mine. I find part of the challenge is to adapt my putt to work on the supplied basket. Honestly, my soft, nose up putt, built around playing on Mach III's and Chainstars, doesn't work well on the newer, high end baskets. I guess we can blame the internet. I did not have videos, tournament footage and slo mo shots of pros pounding the chains. But, I still am fine with a basketball rim, with no net, a saggy tennis net, bowling alleys without modern oil patterns, steel tip dart boards... Nothing wrong with modern upgrades, I just don't think they make the older, serviceable equipment illegitimate. I simply do not find my disc golf experience made significantly better by the presence of Chainstar Pro's over Chainstars or Mach III's. Just my opinion, though.

Last edited:
If you're spending money putting up a course and putting any baskets in besides 3-tier Chainstar Pros or T1 & newer Prodigies, you're hurting your end result.

If you actually spend money on something new without the top chastity belt, you should be removed from decision making positions altogether.

You can easily find complaints about any basket on the market. Some people find reasons to blame everything except themselves for a missed putt.

For worlds, all 4 courses got brand new baskets and the Prodigy [T1] are my least favorite. The chains are much heavier and spit anything that isn't dead center. You also need to putt pretty hard or the chains wont move and it will just push your putter back out. If they wanted to just make a center sweet spot, might as well use a Bullseye.

Just played Toboggan today and our group of 5 weren't completely impressed with the [Chainstar] Pro baskets. We had quite a few spit outs. That's not saying that all of them were dead center. We thought they were close enough to stay in, close enough for us to start really talking about spit outs. We're casual older dudes that only shoot in the 70's there, so maybe take this all with a grain of salt. What we were thinking was that the chains were too heavy and tight. We are all softer touch putters and a couple center putts from 15ft "bounced" straight backwards without hitting center pole. You could see the spring back at the side view. There didn't seem to be any chain deflection. On stronger putts they seemed to catch great, though. Loved the red color on them. I may be one of the few that love the original Chainstar. Definitely won't stop me from ever playing on these. That's part of adjusting to the course conditions. Just like if I had to putt on Mach III's.

I appreciate the jump from perfect usable baskets to tone poles to emphasize your point, but it is kind of lost on me. My point in this thread has been, that all players on a course use the same baskets, all are faced with the potential shortcomings of those targets. New baskets have shortcomings as well. They might work better for your putt, but maybe not mine. I find part of the challenge is to adapt my putt to work on the supplied basket. Honestly, my soft, nose up putt, built around playing on Mach III's and Chainstars, doesn't work well on the newer, high end baskets. I guess we can blame the internet. I did not have videos, tournament footage and slo mo shots of pros pounding the chains. But, I still am fine with a basketball rim, with no net, a saggy tennis net, bowling alleys without modern oil patterns, steel tip dart boards... Nothing wrong with modern upgrades, I just don't think they make the older, serviceable equipment illegitimate.

Not illegitimate, just a very poor choice for new construction projects given there's very little price difference between the dusty M3s/MXs and sexy Chainstar Pros/T2s. I simply used tone poles as an example of "throwback tech", and it actually makes perfect sense- there was nothing wrong with tone poles either, and in fact are FAR more friendly to every single kind of throw (if it rings it counts, no chance at all for spit outs!)- but they were phased out in favor of *GASP* sexier technology.

As I said though, do whatever you want- but don't expect anybody else to care *why* you did it if you've decided to forego newer technology and sexy features, you'd just be the guy who overspent on crap baskets for some silly personal preference reason and you'd likely get roasted in reviews as a result. I know of several similar situations going on right now with nearby courses, and those types of decisions are generally not appreciated by the disc golfing public. At all.

So basically, if it's a private course for yourself, all the rules are out the window and we should just make choices that we like personally. If you're building a public course or a P2P, you had better not let your personal golf shortcomings limit your design when building for thousands of users or you're going to look silly.

Not illegitimate, just a very poor choice for new construction projects given there's very little price difference between the dusty M3s/MXs and sexy Chainstar Pros/T2s. I simply used tone poles as an example of "throwback tech", and it actually makes perfect sense- there was nothing wrong with tone poles either, and in fact are FAR more friendly to every single kind of throw (if it rings it counts, no chance at all for spit outs!)- but they were phased out in favor of *GASP* sexier technology.

As I said though, do whatever you want- but don't expect anybody else to care *why* you did it if you've decided to forego newer technology and sexy features, you'd just be the guy who overspent on crap baskets for some silly personal preference reason and you'd likely get roasted in reviews as a result. I know of several similar situations going on right now with nearby courses, and those types of decisions are generally not appreciated by the disc golfing public. At all.

So basically, if it's a private course for yourself, all the rules are out the window and we should just make choices that we like personally. If you're building a public course or a P2P, you had better not let your personal golf shortcomings limit your design when building for thousands of users or you're going to look silly.

The VAST majority of players do not know the difference between a Prodigy, Innova or DGA basket. They have their walmart bag and four disc and think the occasional spit out is part of the game and a reason to razz their buddy who missed. I think we, here at the collective of DGCR, forget most golfers have never heard of us. Most here are engaged, most likely tournament players....I don't know that our opinions always represent the majority of disc golfers. That includes myself.

I don't disc golf for the sexy, though perhaps some do. I has to be pretty limiting to play only courses with new baskets. Man, I would have missed out on some of the nicest courses I have played, if sexy ruled my decisions on where to play.

The VAST majority of players do not know the difference between a Prodigy, Innova or DGA basket. They have their walmart bag and four disc and think the occasional spit out is part of the game and a reason to razz their buddy who missed. I think we, here at the collective of DGCR, forget most golfers have never heard of us. Most here are engaged, most likely tournament players....I don't know that our opinions always represent the majority of disc golfers. That includes myself.

I don't disc golf for the sexy, though perhaps some do. I has to be pretty limiting to play only courses with new baskets. Man, I would have missed out on some of the nicest courses I have played, if sexy ruled my decisions on where to play.

Ok, now you're purposely trying to avoid the point of what I'm saying so yeah, I'm done here. I will play on any basket, anytime. Old baskets on old courses are perfectly acceptable, and that's not what I took issue with in any of my posts.

If I was paying someone to design a *new* course, though, and they said "I'm planning to put in Mach 3s" I'd throw them off the property. Anybody with a lick of sense would, hence this whole thread.

Also if you say you honestly don't like "sexy" details you're kidding yourself for the sake of being argumentative. EVERYONE appreciates attention to details and the general public is rapidly becoming more aware of who puts in that extra mile's worth of effort and who doesn't- this site is proof positive of that fact and the overall effect of those details add up fast! I honestly am not sure what your point is there but hey whatever floats your boat!

Cheers to having differing opinions in any case. Certainly no harm in that! :hfive:

Nope, V's. the issue with the big ring is much worse on the newer ones that have the extra deep basket (attached).

It happens with a putt that just gets over the basket, on a slight hyzer, strong side. The disc hits the chains, which pushes the big ring up against the pole. At that point the disc is basically sitting on that ring. Then the chain assembly swings back and launches the disc right out.

I've seen it countless times, since both the Madison city courses have these.

Except the Mach 3 Also has a large diameter ring at the bottom, and with straight vertical chains, acts even More of a pendulum than the Mach V with angled chains.

Latest posts